Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
21st in 18:22(ish) at Preston Park - they're going to struggle with the results, 850ish they said they had run it today. Add to Worthing's 527 and the number of parkrunners around Brighton, Hove and our coast in general continues to be amazing. Much like the pace of the guys at Preston Park this morning, incredible.

The start line was utter chaos, far too many people wanting to get off at the front and drop back through the field. It was a strange course, the start line was much higher up than usual and the finish point was the same. I don't really know how the course was still 5k because I don't think the cone was further back than usual, but maybe it was? [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] - thoughts?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
22:23 and 36th place at Bradford for me this morning. Nice course and lots of festive cheer. Got to decide where to go on Saturday now - Myrtle?

Happy Christmas everyone - have a great day!

Great festive morning. Set off from home a bit late and had to run the 2 miles a bit faster than desired up over the Upper Drive to PP. Got there with steam pouring from my sweaty body just in time to start the run. Met the Rogue Mince Pie Female champ, forgotten her name, who said that will probably be a good warm up!!! Then followed her for a 6:37 first mile before getting left behind as she started putting some effort in. Carried on before thinking **** you can't do this. Had to have a half mile sit back before a strongish last mile up the final slope. 21:09ish is nearly there another 20 secs needed and a tricky course today.

Look at this for a drop off https://www.strava.com/activities/2955007132#kudos

Huge turnout inc. Ninja, Soistes, Mr Blobby. Cool down run home, a malt whisky, followed by a mass dip in the sea and 2 pints of Harvey's Christmas Ale 7.5% in the Neptune. Rehydration for the day ahead and for the final push at Worthing on Saturday.

Happy Christmas, hic.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
21st in 18:22(ish) at Preston Park - they're going to struggle with the results, 850ish they said they had run it today. Add to Worthing's 527 and the number of parkrunners around Brighton, Hove and our coast in general continues to be amazing. Much like the pace of the guys at Preston Park this morning, incredible.

The start line was utter chaos, far too many people wanting to get off at the front and drop back through the field. It was a strange course, the start line was much higher up than usual and the finish point was the same. I don't really know how the course was still 5k because I don't think the cone was further back than usual, but maybe it was? [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] - thoughts?

That's my Christmas ruined.:down::lol::lol:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
That's my Christmas ruined.:down::lol::lol:

Well I can echo that. A bad day at the office for me. Conditions and atmosphere at Worthing were fab and the 'pier' route variation was deployed. At 3km the groin went and I trudged back with about 500 folk overtaking me. The only bright moment was when a rather nice lady passed me and asked if I was OK. "Thanks", I replied, "my groin is playing up". Whereupon she offered to help me out. Thankfully didn't misconstrue her kind offer.

So the 28th is out for me but I intend to turn up and marshal so hope to meet and cheer on Gaffer and Artie.

Happy Christmas!

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

Yes, they changed the course a few weeks back, to ease the congestion at the start (still a bit of work to do, on that ....), and yes, they’ve moved the turn cone slightly at the far end of the park (the extra is barely noticeable though because you do the turn three times).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well I can echo that. A bad day at the office for me. Conditions and atmosphere at Worthing were fab and the 'pier' route variation was deployed. At 3km the groin went and I trudged back with about 500 folk overtaking me. The only bright moment was when a rather nice lady passed me and asked if I was OK. "Thanks", I replied, "my groin is playing up". Whereupon she offered to help me out. Thankfully didn't misconstrue her kind offer.

So the 28th is out for me but I intend to turn up and marshal so hope to meet and cheer on Gaffer and Artie.

Happy Christmas!

Sorry that there was no happy ending to 2019 for you. :whistle:
I’ll see you Saturday. Have you a pre run meeting point and time?

I’ll do well to recover for Saturday but intend to go for glory. That means going hard for 2 miles and then seeing if I can run it home. Any niggles or heavy feeling and I’ll drop the pace. I want to avoid breakdown.

Hopefully your son and Monsieur Jacques will be pacing me a few hundred metres in front.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Sorry that there was no happy ending to 2019 for you. :whistle:
I’ll see you Saturday. Have you a pre run meeting point and time?

I’ll do well to recover for Saturday but intend to go for glory. That means going hard for 2 miles and then seeing if I can run it home. Any niggles or heavy feeling and I’ll drop the pace. I want to avoid breakdown.

Hopefully your son and Monsieur Jacques will be pacing me a few hundred metres in front.

Indeed!

If I'm a marshal (and it's still tbc) I'll have to

a) get there v.early and b) go where they send me (which could be at the turn, half way to Littlehampton).

Hence it might be tricky to arrange something. Assuming Artie rocks up, I advise that you meet up with him and at some point I'd try to say hi - but it might be as you motor past me on the course in search of my AG silver!
I don't think they will be altering the course again as per Xmas day (but advise you check) and therefore no real need to attend the briefing as you know the course. So what I'd suggest is that you loiter around the start line and meet /greet/brief Artie there? Or maybe by the pier? (If he's arriving by car it might be worth sharing the Waitrose car park tip.)

I've been something of a parkrun freeloader so I'm overdue to do some volunteering, GNT Junior and Le Jacques are both in a bit of form right now and hovering around the 20.00 mark. But with Worthing it's all about the wind on the day. (Artie please note - a westerly is better than an easterly as you get the benefit of it on the way back and the position of turn favours a westerly.)

I think that exhausts my local knowledge (in fact my total knowledge other than Sussex CCC line-ups 1968-76) but we've still got a couple of days to liaise.

All the best.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Indeed!

If I'm a marshal (and it's still tbc) I'll have to

a) get there v.early and b) go where they send me (which could be at the turn, half way to Littlehampton).

Hence it might be tricky to arrange something. Assuming Artie rocks up, I advise that you meet up with him and at some point I'd try to say hi - but it might be as you motor past me on the course in search of my AG silver!
I don't think they will be altering the course again as per Xmas day (but advise you check) and therefore no real need to attend the briefing as you know the course. So what I'd suggest is that you loiter around the start line and meet /greet/brief Artie there? Or maybe by the pier? (If he's arriving by car it might be worth sharing the Waitrose car park tip.)

I've been something of a parkrun freeloader so I'm overdue to do some volunteering, GNT Junior and Le Jacques are both in a bit of form right now and hovering around the 20.00 mark. But with Worthing it's all about the wind on the day. (Artie please note - a westerly is better than an easterly as you get the benefit of it on the way back and the position of turn favours a westerly.)

I think that exhausts my local knowledge (in fact my total knowledge other than Sussex CCC line-ups 1968-76) but we've still got a couple of days to liaise.

All the best.

I’m definitely on for Worthing parkrun tomorrow. Can’t wait! Sorry to hear that you won’t be running but it would be great to say hi to you and Gaffer. Thanks for the course advice. We’re staying at the Premier Inn on the seafront so I’ll jog along to the start. I’ll try to get there for 8:45am. I’ll be wearing a black Manchester Marathon 2019 finishers t-shirt so hopefully you can spot me. I had a little run out along the seafront this morning. It’s so nice!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
@GNT and [MENTION=11816]Artie Fufkin[/MENTION] I look forward to seeing you both tomorrow. I'll look out for the shirt but have seen Arties photos on Strava. I'll be a bit wired and shaky as the fear of running the first 2 miles too hard and blowing up will have set the adrenaline going for the first time this year. I'll be able to point out GNT but if you miss him at the start I'm sure he'll give you a shout from marshalling position on the way round.

I'll be the old git on the start line (**** the faster runners I can't afford to lose a second) in a black vest and the yellow magic racing flats. Hope this isn't a MASSIVE anti-climax........................:tumble:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
@GNT and [MENTION=11816]Artie Fufkin[/MENTION] I look forward to seeing you both tomorrow. I'll look out for the shirt but have seen Arties photos on Strava. I'll be a bit wired and shaky as the fear of running the first 2 miles too hard and blowing up will have set the adrenaline going for the first time this year. I'll be able to point out GNT but if you miss him at the start I'm sure he'll give you a shout from marshalling position on the way round.

I'll be the old git on the start line (**** the faster runners I can't afford to lose a second) in a black vest and the yellow magic racing flats. Hope this isn't a MASSIVE anti-climax........................:tumble:

Great. I'll try to meet you (both) around the start. The stretch from the pier to the start line is a good place to warm up plus you can join the start at the front of the field rather than get trapped at the back. Depending on my duties I'll aim to be there on or before 8.45. I'll ty to wear something red underneath the marshal's kit.

Have a great race both of you and see you there - at the start and/or while you are charging around the course. (Tip for Artie - don't get too excited at your time at the turn as it's longer 'back' than 'out'.)

seagull_si

Jul 8, 2011
Peacehaven
Hi, I have slowing been getting into running over the last 6 months or so and have done half a dozen or so parkruns. My natural competitive nature wants be to continually improve and I think my next step is to get some decent running trainers but have no idea what is good/bad or where to get them from. Any help will be greatly appreciated

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Hi, I have slowing been getting into running over the last 6 months or so and have done half a dozen or so parkruns. My natural competitive nature wants be to continually improve and I think my next step is to get some decent running trainers but have no idea what is good/bad or where to get them from. Any help will be greatly appreciated

Depends on where you live and how much help you need choosing. Sweat Shop on Queens Road will do gait analysis on you on a treadmill if you're not sure and want a fairly wide range, albeit they are expensive and a national chain and will probably try and sell you add-ons. If you want a local shop run by local runners then Run in Hove or Nick Rivett Sport. I'd thought the latter had stopped selling runners but they still have a decent selection and I got my last two pairs of Brooks there. Both Run and Nick Rivett will let you road test trainers round the block and will have plenty of advice.

Personally, my biggest piece of advice with shoes would be to get a pair that are half a size bigger than your normal shoes or street trainers. With a half size gap and Thorlos blister proof socks you should find you get no real issues with blisters or toenails if you fancy upping your distances.

If you're just going to do short sprinty stuff then a nice lightweight pair of racers like [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] 's gel racers are better though.

seagull_si

Jul 8, 2011
Peacehaven
Depends on where you live and how much help you need choosing. Sweat Shop on Queens Road will do gait analysis on you on a treadmill if you're not sure and want a fairly wide range, albeit they are expensive and a national chain and will probably try and sell you add-ons. If you want a local shop run by local runners then Run in Hove or Nick Rivett Sport. I'd thought the latter had stopped selling runners but they still have a decent selection and I got my last two pairs of Brooks there. Both Run and Nick Rivett will let you road test trainers round the block and will have plenty of advice.

Personally, my biggest piece of advice with shoes would be to get a pair that are half a size bigger than your normal shoes or street trainers. With a half size gap and Thorlos blister proof socks you should find you get no real issues with blisters or toenails if you fancy upping your distances.

If you're just going to do short sprinty stuff then a nice lightweight pair of racers like [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] 's gel racers are better though.

Thanks for the info, I will check them out. I usually do 5k runs with a 10k thrown in every 10 days or so. I want to try and get up to half marathon distance by the end of 2020.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

Great! I’ll look out for you and @GNT at the start. :wave:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Thanks for the info, I will check them out. I usually do 5k runs with a 10k thrown in every 10 days or so. I want to try and get up to half marathon distance by the end of 2020.

Glad you’re enjoying your running. Welcome aboard. Agree with [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] on Buying. You’ll need some support to protect your feet and legs from the pounding in training.

If you want two pairs, The gel racers are good for speed, I have a magical ASICS hyper speed 7 pair with no support left and they are coming out tomorrow but they are unfortunately no longer available to buy. My NB light shoes do 90% of my Parkruns but they are no match.

I’m on the lookout for a 5k and under shoe myself. Tips please NSC.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Glad you’re enjoying your running. Welcome aboard. Agree with [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] on Buying. You’ll need some support to protect your feet and legs from the pounding in training.

If you want two pairs, The gel racers are good for speed, I have a magical ASICS hyper speed 7 pair with no support left and they are coming out tomorrow but they are unfortunately no longer available to buy. My NB light shoes do 90% of my Parkruns but they are no match.

I run in the Hoka One One Carbon X for races at 10k or below. Works really well for me.

https://www.runningshoesguru.com/2019/07/hoka-one-one-carbon-x-review/

BiffyBoy

Aug 20, 2012

Nike Next% - Expensive but I'd go as far as saying 5k (or other race) PB guaranteed

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Great. I'll try to meet you (both) around the start. The stretch from the pier to the start line is a good place to warm up plus you can join the start at the front of the field rather than get trapped at the back. Depending on my duties I'll aim to be there on or before 8.45. I'll ty to wear something red underneath the marshal's kit.

Have a great race both of you and see you there - at the start and/or while you are charging around the course. (Tip for Artie - don't get too excited at your time at the turn as it's longer 'back' than 'out'.)

I'm pulling my effort. My sick note is 24 hours of the squitters. Not wise to give it more than 100%. I'll save that for NYD at Hove Prom. Congratulations to you both I have lost to 2 all time NSC greats.

Still on my way over to say hello and recce the course for when I return to have a crack at GNTs admirable 60+ Worthing time of 20:29.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here