Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I remembered doing the Mince Pie with [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] and yourself the year after that Parkrun. Needed to get the dates to find the results to motivate myself for this Sunday.
http://www.seafordstriders.org.uk/Newsite/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Mince-Pie-Ten-2015-Results1.pdf

Looks like Big Nuts 1:08:39 Simgull 1:16:33 Me 1:21:14 and Guinness Boy, not sure if I knew you then, in 1:39:08

I remember not being very fit on the day so hoping to beat 1:21:14 on Sunday and hope to finish a bit nearer to Simgull than at the Downland Devil. Looking forward to this one.

Come on Gaffer, you could have mentioned my 1:13:27! [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] was 25th, I was down in 45th. Oddly enough, [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] was 65th, [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] was 105th. Sadly, the chain was broken by [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] in 276th!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Come on Gaffer, you could have mentioned my 1:13:27! [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] was 25th, I was down in 45th. Oddly enough, [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] was 65th, [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] was 105th. Sadly, the chain was broken by [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] in 276th!

My fifth Mince Pie in a row- unofficial times from Garmin

2015 - 1:16
2016 - 1:13
2017 - 1:25 (the storm year)
2018 - 1:18

Looks like being quite windy on Sunday but otherwise conditions should be quite good.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Looks like being quite windy on Sunday but otherwise conditions should be quite good.

Unfortunately, I'm going to be in Wellingborough. It's a shame because I really like the race but I don't actually think I've run it since 2015. Maybe 2016, but I'm fairly sure I've only achieved the start line once and that was because a ladyfriend drove us over there.

In RUTC news, the guy at #1 on the leaderboard has already managed over 100k in December, 4 days in. ??? Mental! I won't be challenging that if he keeps that going. I helped myself to an 8 mile recovery run today with probably another 20 miles in the plan before a longish run on Sunday, depending on how keen I am to get up early enough in Wellingborough and run off an inevitable hangover...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I remembered doing the Mince Pie with [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] and yourself the year after that Parkrun. Needed to get the dates to find the results to motivate myself for this Sunday.
http://www.seafordstriders.org.uk/Newsite/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Mince-Pie-Ten-2015-Results1.pdf

Looks like Big Nuts 1:08:39 Simgull 1:16:33 Me 1:21:14 and Guinness Boy, not sure if I knew you then, in 1:39:08

I remember not being very fit on the day so hoping to beat 1:21:14 on Sunday and hope to finish a bit nearer to Simgull than at the Downland Devil. Looking forward to this one.

I was entered that year but passed on my number at the last minute. I’ve never done the Mince Pie sadly. That’s about the sort of time I’d have posted back then though :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Good consistent times looks like sub 1:16 2019. I'll be happy with 1:18.

Unfortunately, I'm going to be in Wellingborough. It's a shame because I really like the race but I don't actually think I've run it since 2015. Maybe 2016, but I'm fairly sure I've only achieved the start line once and that was because a ladyfriend drove us over there.

In RUTC news, the guy at #1 on the leaderboard has already managed over 100k in December, 4 days in. ??? Mental! I won't be challenging that if he keeps that going. I helped myself to an 8 mile recovery run today with probably another 20 miles in the plan before a longish run on Sunday, depending on how keen I am to get up early enough in Wellingborough and run off an inevitable hangover...

I'll try a SRUTC with a dip in the sea Xmas Day. Won't be challenging any Leaderboards unless drink is involved.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

My Mince Pie record

2014 - 55th 1:14:34
2015 - 25th 1:08:37
2016 - 29th 1:10:17
2017 - 15th 1:10:41
2018 - 15th 1:07:01

Very much looking forward to this years now.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
My Mince Pie record

2014 - 55th 1:14:34
2015 - 25th 1:08:37
2016 - 29th 1:10:17
2017 - 15th 1:10:41
2018 - 15th 1:07:01

Very much looking forward to this years now.

Great progression. [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] and myself are not happy with 2016 ruining the “5” sequence.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
To run 1:10 in 2017 was outstanding.

The 2017 race was like no other race I’ve ever entered. Conditions were almost laughable! 65 mph winds, it was hard to stay on the course.

When the wind was with you it was scary. I remember thinking I’m not sure I could stop if I needed to, the wind just blew you forward.

It looks like another windy one this year but winds of a mere 20 mph this time around.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
The 2017 race was like no other race I’ve ever entered. Conditions were almost laughable! 65 mph winds, it was hard to stay on the course.

When the wind was with you it was scary. I remember thinking I’m not sure I could stop if I needed to, the wind just blew you forward.

It looks like another windy one this year but winds of a mere 20 mph this time around.

I have a friend who was so traumatised by 2017 that she will not re-enter the event, even though her running has improved significantly (she was 4th woman last Sunday).

I clearly remember someone getting blown into a barbed wire fence and like you wondering if I could stop myself coming down the hill after the TV tower with the wind behind me.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Likewise. Bizarrely, I got my parkrun PB doing a hungover run at Hove Prom on NYD this year (helpfully paced by [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] as it happens). As an elderly late starter to running (started a few years ago just before my 60th birthday), it wasn’t a particularly impressive time (21:51) by comparison with others on here, and I’ve not come close to it since, but it did take my AG over 75% for the first time. Like some others on here, I move into a new age category next year (65+) and am hoping to be able to use that as the basis for a last push for some good numbers in 2020, before the inevitable effects of ageing really start to set in. It’s great to have some other “old gits” on here like [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] and GNT to act as inspiration

Cheers. Yes you started 2019 with a splash - a 75% AG is something to be proud of at any age. I totally agree with your point about starting your new Age Cat strongly. I'm not sure there's a big difference between a 50 and a 54 year old, but I'm sure there is between a 60 and a 64 year old. And as for 65 and beyond...……………….. For one thing (unless you are @Knocky 1) anything like a sprint finish disappears. If anyone is near me towards the last 200 metres, my money is on them. Then there's the injuries...…………..
But, if the old gits on the thread can limp along, then it might help the younger runners to appreciate you can keep going - and if not, then at least to enjoy it while it lasts.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Cheers. Yes you started 2019 with a splash - a 75% AG is something to be proud of at any age. I totally agree with your point about starting your new Age Cat strongly. I'm not sure there's a big difference between a 50 and a 54 year old, but I'm sure there is between a 60 and a 64 year old. And as for 65 and beyond...……………….. For one thing (unless you are @Knocky 1) anything like a sprint finish disappears. If anyone is near me towards the last 200 metres, my money is on them. Then there's the injuries...…………..
But, if the old gits on the thread can limp along, then it might help the younger runners to appreciate you can keep going - and if not, then at least to enjoy it while it lasts.

30 years ago I could do 4-5 mile of speed intervals on a Wednesday and run a PB on the Sunday.

Different now. For 14 months I haven’t done any speed work in training and leave it for the odd Parkrun. It seems to work as recovery time is much longer.

Back on again with Penny’s Harmonica at Hove Park on Dec. 14th for a race off, if interested. Worthing off this weekend but I’ll be missing Parkrun anyway to save the old legs for the Mince Pie run.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
30 years ago I could do 4-5 mile of speed intervals on a Wednesday and run a PB on the Sunday.

Different now. For 14 months I haven’t done any speed work in training and leave it for the odd Parkrun. It seems to work as recovery time is much longer.

Back on again with Penny’s Harmonica at Hove Park on Dec. 14th for a race off, if interested. Worthing off this weekend but I’ll be missing Parkrun anyway to save the old legs for the Mince Pie run.

Good luck. There's nothing like a head-to-head to get the competitive juices flowing. Is the more 'formal' (Arena 80) Hove Park nominated event still the week after?

Yes - no Worthing this Saturday. I might pop across to LA (Littlehampton) which is pretty much like Hove Prom in format.

PS your training strategy looks far more sensible than mine: Saturday parkrun flat-out; Sunday 6 miles flat out; Tuesday 6 miles flat-out followed by about 6 hours standing around at a funeral. Wisdom (or even common-sense) does not always accompany age - my knee is now reminding me of this. I think the thought of my mate's funeral did some strange things to my head.

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good luck. There's nothing like a head-to-head to get the competitive juices flowing. Is the more 'formal' (Arena 80) Hove Park nominated event still the week after?

Yes - no Worthing this Saturday. I might pop across to LA (Littlehampton) which is pretty much like Hove Prom in format.

PS your training strategy looks far more sensible than mine: Saturday parkrun flat-out; Sunday 6 miles flat out; Tuesday 6 miles flat-out followed by about 6 hours standing around at a funeral. Wisdom (or even common-sense) does not always accompany age - my knee is now reminding me of this. I think the thought of my mate's funeral did some strange things to my head.

Yes Arena Hove Park 21st. I’ll be hoping to aim for the Gasson. Be good to see you and the young lads.

Spent Saturday at a funeral. 6 pints of Hop Head and a couple of glasses of red wine. No dinner and the Downland Devil in the morning.
Witnessed institutional Ageism when all 10 year age groups won cups for first 3 of each gender. Got to 60+ and it was only first place. Luckily my condition only got me an 8th in age...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here