Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm definitely intending to do that race - I love a good hill. I'd like to get involved with the Barns Green Half next year, see if I can smuggle myself into the top 50!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Jan 25th. Parliament Fields Southern Counties Cross Country 15K. The XC equivalent of the London Marathon.Free entry and free travel with Arena, so I have to say yes. Should bear me in good stead for the NSC Hastings Half showdown in March.

Don't watch all the video it's just to give the idea.........

This looks like the real deal. You'll be up against some class runners. Looks great.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I know Ragnar runs have been discussed on here in the past at some point.

I just had an ad pop up in Instagram saying that the first Ragnar Trail race in the UK is happening next year: https://runragnar.com/uk/event-detail/trail/forestofdean#overview

Would be fun a team of 8 is £775. £97 each with two nights camp spot thrown in. I won't rule it out but unlikely 8 of us will come forward.................and I'm not doing 4 in a team with an Ultra distance!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Would be fun a team of 8 is £775. £97 each with two nights camp spot thrown in. I won't rule it out but unlikely 8 of us will come forward.................and I'm not doing 4 in a team with an Ultra distance!

I spotted this one a while ago. I travel with work near the Forest of Dean quite often and work with someone who lives there. Will be a lovely venue but the one fly in the ointment is it’s my wife’s 40th on the 12th June. It ain’t happening for me this year!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Bit chesty, coldy feeling this morning at Hove Park but decided to set off in Gasson's slipstream at 6:35 for the first mile. 6:55 for mile 2 and then had to sit back for half a mile up the last climb to get 7:01 for mile 3. Just managed to run home near 6:00 pace. 24 seconds behind the Gasson, who turned out to be a good marker.

Negative splits which is not how I usually run but 21:14 at 75.51% means I'm within 30 seconds of the maestro old git @GNT with better to come...........

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Bit chesty, coldy feeling this morning at Hove Park but decided to set off in Gasson's slipstream at 6:35 for the first mile. 6:55 for mile 2 and then had to sit back for half a mile up the last climb to get 7:01 for mile 3. Just managed to run home near 6:00 pace. 24 seconds behind the Gasson, who turned out to be a good marker.

Negative splits which is not how I usually run but 21:14 at 75.51% means I'm within 30 seconds of the maestro old git @GNT with better to come...........

Good running. While your star is on the rise, mine is moving in the other direction: 22.45 @ 73.04%. In mitigation there was that easterly wind. An old git win, though.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I got the 60-64 AG win but hardly counts as an old git win when The Gasson gets 81.28% in the 65-69 group.

Yes, that's a bugger when that happens as any claim to be King of the Old Gits is groundless. It's happened to me a few times (just about always when Gasson turns up!) and there's been a couple of occasions when I've looked at the 60s (check),and the 65s (check) only to find some old ******* in his 70s has beaten my time!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Good running [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] and @GNT. We ventured up to Ifield to give that a go. Very narrow and twisty course - can’t say I liked it really but the miserable weather didn’t help. 22:22 and 17th place - satisfactory. Back down to three more Sussex PRs to complete the set.

Marathon training officially starts tomorrow - 21 weeks to go - but the before that also the little matter of DD9 and MP10 next month.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Thanks [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] walked the Gatliff 25k with the spouse today on your tip. Had great weather and great day out. It was the obligatory mile longer than 25k at 16.5 miles but great to see the Weald over the border in Kent. Very muddy clay to walk in half the time and set a steady, just under, 3 miles an hour. The 50k Ultra runners coming past were very supportive. **** knows how they could read route instructions whilst running.

Would consider running/walking the 50k next year in NSC groups. Wouldn’t fancy it solo. Different route every year I believe.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Gentle victory at East Brighton on saturday, but my slowest time (and first 20:something) since July (I started a sub-20 streak the morning of the Lunar-Tic Marathon) - dragging myself home in 20:13. In my defence, the ground was slippery in the extreme in the muddy patches and I was (again) intending to get to Peacehaven. This time, I was up early enough and was making good ground on the cycle over there but got a puncture just before the Marina. I abandoned ship and went to East Brighton, I'm lucky it didn't happen in Rottingdean or between the two. There was a good race on for second place behind me between young Caroline (a friend of [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] I seem to recall!) and a chap who wanted to use me as a pacer (for all of 200 metres or so until the first hill). In the end, young Caroline absolutely destroyed the little fella and he ran on for 3rd. 4 of the first 10 finishers were female (finishing 2nd, 4th, 5th and 7th), but two of them didn't have barcodes. There were only 49 runners in total, almost an even split of 28 women and 21 men.

I ran a much reduced 28 miles last week and I'm considering running something similar this week, stepping off the milage a little bit to wind down the year and then kick on again come January - but we'll see!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Morning all – a run-free weekend for the first time in ages, which actually felt good. Coupled with consuming LOADS of food Friday and Saturday night means reining it back in the lead-up to Christmas and getting back out. Another one of those pesky marathon things is less than two weeks away!

Also, I overheard that Jnr's football training might take a break over the festive period, so I'll be deffo back to Hove Park parkrun for what seems like the first time in AGES!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Gentle victory at East Brighton on saturday, but my slowest time (and first 20:something) since July (I started a sub-20 streak the morning of the Lunar-Tic Marathon) - dragging myself home in 20:13. In my defence, the ground was slippery in the extreme in the muddy patches and I was (again) intending to get to Peacehaven. This time, I was up early enough and was making good ground on the cycle over there but got a puncture just before the Marina. I abandoned ship and went to East Brighton, I'm lucky it didn't happen in Rottingdean or between the two. There was a good race on for second place behind me between young Caroline (a friend of [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] I seem to recall!) and a chap who wanted to use me as a pacer (for all of 200 metres or so until the first hill). In the end, young Caroline absolutely destroyed the little fella and he ran on for 3rd. 4 of the first 10 finishers were female (finishing 2nd, 4th, 5th and 7th), but two of them didn't have barcodes. There were only 49 runners in total, almost an even split of 28 women and 21 men.

I ran a much reduced 28 miles last week and I'm considering running something similar this week, stepping off the milage a little bit to wind down the year and then kick on again come January - but we'll see!

Caroline Wood runs for England XC old gits. I went to school with her partner. At the windy Arena Prom 5k in March I managed to run in front of her and pull away for my best run of the year 21:54 in a 45mph south westerly. I'm gradually getting back to that brief 1 week peak of fitness and looking forward to trying to chase the old gal at Hove Parkrun on December 14th. Hopefully she would have just run for England a few days before like last time.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] walked the Gatliff 25k with the spouse today on your tip. Had great weather and great day out. It was the obligatory mile longer than 25k at 16.5 miles but great to see the Weald over the border in Kent. Very muddy clay to walk in half the time and set a steady, just under, 3 miles an hour. The 50k Ultra runners coming past were very supportive. **** knows how they could read route instructions whilst running.

Would consider running/walking the 50k next year in NSC groups. Wouldn’t fancy it solo. Different route every year I believe.

Great stuff, I'll do it.....to be honest, it's difficult to run much at all anyway - way too many instructions and too much mud. The 50k (which turned out to be 57k, obviously) took me and my pal (@Guinness Boy's coach incidentally) 10 hours, so 3mph is about right :smile: Fantastic value though - assume you had the full picnic offered at every A/S and paid about a tenner to enter :clap2:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Great stuff, I'll do it.....to be honest, it's difficult to run much at all anyway - way too many instructions and too much mud. The 50k (which turned out to be 57k, obviously) took me and my pal (@Guinness Boy's coach incidentally) 10 hours, so 3mph is about right :smile: Fantastic value though - assume you had the full picnic offered at every A/S and paid about a tenner to enter :clap2:

Had tea, cakes, cheese, hula hoops crisps and a number of mince pies. Great value and learnt that Gatliff was the man who set up the Croydon YHA group in 1934 and the current run/walk started in 1984 to commemorate the 50 years of that group. Very lucky with dry weather and bits of sunshine as do not think it would have been much fun on Saturday.

Pencilled in and will give NSC a shout in Autumn 2020.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Went out this evening with the intention of just doing a 3-5 mile run, but I was enjoying it so much, I covered 10 miles.

Annoyingly, my long-sleeved top somehow managed to stop my watch when it was on 9.41m. I noticed a short while after so started another run and, to be safe, ran 0.7m. I was averaging 7:45 over both the long and short run recordings which should give me a 10 mile time of c1:17:30, well inside my previous best of 1:22:20 from just a few weeks ago.

Both runs show fine in Strava, however when I use this tool - https://gotoes.org/strava/Combine_GPX_TCX_FIT_Files.php - to merge the two runs together - something I've used before, it's giving me a single run of 9.95m which is clearly VERY annoying. I've tried to raise a Strava support ticket to see if they are able to combine the runs for me to see if it gives a different result.

I've "measured" the run using an app and it does come to 10.1m so I'm hoping I get the combined run I expect. If it's not on Strava, it didn't happen, right?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here