Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yeah, I had a closer look and it does look good fun, but I'm after something a bit more straightforward. There's a Phoenix run on the 17th in Walton, so I might go for that.

Phoenix events are excellent if you haven’t done one before.........out and back course (he has a shorter and longer route - one is 8x, the other 4x I think) with an aid station (‘tuck shop’ as he calls it) at the start/finish on the short route and also at the turnaround on the longer route. Start/finish is at a pub, and HQ in a leisure centre with plenty of parking, cafe, showers etc so logistically all very easy. Great medals too and a very friendly vibe.

The RD (Rik) is a former world record holder incidentally - fastest cumulative 10 marathons in 10 days (under 30 hours which is a bit ridiculous)

Also worth looking at Saxon Shore races - very similar setup (looped courses, easy logistics). RD is again a v experienced marathon runner (700+ I think)

http://www.saxon-shore.com

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Phoenix events are excellent if you haven’t done one before.........out and back course (he has a shorter and longer route - one is 8x, the other 4x I think) with an aid station (‘tuck shop’ as he calls it) at the start/finish on the short route and also at the turnaround on the longer route. Start/finish is at a pub, and HQ in a leisure centre with plenty of parking, cafe, showers etc so logistically all very easy. Great medals too and a very friendly vibe.

The RD (Rik) is a former world record holder incidentally - fastest cumulative 10 marathons in 10 days (under 30 hours which is a bit ridiculous)

Also worth looking at Saxon Shore races - very similar setup (looped courses, easy logistics). RD is again a v experienced marathon runner (700+ I think)

http://www.saxon-shore.com

Yeah, I've been aware of them for ages, but never actually done them. Heard and seen much about the food and the bling – I initially looked at the Remembrance Day one the week before, but it's sold out. I didn't realise that about Rik and the 10 in 10 thing. I guess that's the thinking behind why they do it? Looped course sounds good and good practice for Goodwood, which is also (unsurprisingly) laps :lol:

D

Deleted member 2719

When your Garmin tells you have got a PB and you get back to find you missed your 5k by 2 secs and your fastest last 1k by 1 second.

:tantrum::tantrum::tantrum:

On the plus side, progress is still being made overall!

:O

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
A post-script to the above - I wasn't sure what my previous fast time was and I couldn't see on Strava anywhere that would list previous records per distance.

A quick bit of Googling revealed this site: https://www.benwebb.net/

You give it Strava permissions, and it then downloads all your runs and you can sort them on any given distance, eg this is me sorting my runs by 10km time fastest -> slowest, so I can now see I took over a minute off my fastest time from 3rd August 2015.

View attachment 116639

This is magnificent, I spent an unnecessary amount of time looking through all of mine yesterday. :thumbsup: Thanks for posting it - more stats for us nerds to enjoy!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
With the rugby on and the prospect of 56 mph winds I’m hoping for a high placed finish at Hove Park tomorrow- assuming it doesn’t get cancelled :lol:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
With the rugby on and the prospect of 56 mph winds I’m hoping for a high placed finish at Hove Park tomorrow- assuming it doesn’t get cancelled :lol:

Could be just the right wind for a SB/PB at Hove Park. SSW.
I'll have to sit on the sofa again. Can't record the Rugby as I live to near to pubs and will see/hear reactions.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm back to regular running after my calf strain put me out for a couple of weeks. I had my third and final session with the physio this morning and he did some gait analysis on me which was very interesting. It's the first time I've had proper gait analysis rather than the "these are the shoes you should wear" style. I've always known I have a little bit of a heel strike but he also noticed that my weight is shifted slightly back when I land which loses me a little bit of energy and puts some extra strain on my calves (hence the injury). I also don't get quite enough bounce and lift my trailing leg high enough.

I just need to start making a few minor adjustments to my gait and who knows how much faster I could be?! I'm just happy to be running again.

This is me running after making some adjustments:

http://www.hudl.com/technique/video/view/ZB3MM8jS?e=19637914

D

Deleted member 2719

You know I love an STE run, but M2M is the same date as Goodwood.

Gatliff sounds good but talk of finishing within 10 hours and checkpoints - knowing my sense of direction - gets me worried!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Are you in the right class to be running at Goodwood Mr Bobkin???

We don't just take anybody.:hilton:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
A good couple of days running for me - I ran a 7 miler yesterday in 6:57 per mile average pace - I was targeting 7 minutes per mile. I don't usually train at that sort of pace over that distance, and it was after a tough leg session on wednesday prior to a nice gentle 7 miler. I went out on my "lunch" break today and enjoyed a good 10 miler starring Elm Grove, a road by Fiveways and Valley Drive. Loads of hills at just short of 9 minute miling. I enjoyed the slowdown in pace and my legs feel a little bit recovered.

Given the wind, I am considering Hove Park tomorrow as well. Dame Kelly Holmes is apparently going to Peacehaven, and I haven't done that one yet this year, so I am still tempted - but maybe there's a chance of taking the magical Gold Medal at Hove Park if people are going to bin it off for the rugby...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I ran a bit of a stinker - I think I was too keen to run from the front and I died one hell of a death. Each mile was slower than the previous, I found it really uncomfortable and never got into stride. I think I was outside the top 10 in 19:07, I didn't actually look at the token as the scanners were right on top of them. Really disappointing performance for me this morning, obviously the conditions aren't great but it's more the tempo run on thursday and hilly 10 miler yesterday. I did a fairly tough leg session on wednesday as well, so there are mitigating circumstances but I'm surprised by the struggle this morning. Nevermind - run done and now home watching the rugby.

Full respect to [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1508]BenElton'sBrother[/MENTION] hitting the course and if I'm not mistaken, Mrs [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] donning the yellow vest. :bowdown:

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I ran a bit of a stinker - I think I was too keen to run from the front and I died one hell of a death. Each mile was slower than the previous, I found it really uncomfortable and never got into stride. I think I was outside the top 10 in 19:07, I didn't actually look at the token as the scanners were right on top of them. Really disappointing performance for me this morning, obviously the conditions aren't great but it's more the tempo run on thursday and hilly 10 miler yesterday. I did a fairly tough leg session on wednesday as well, so there are mitigating circumstances but I'm surprised by the struggle this morning. Nevermind - run done and now home watching the rugby.

Full respect to [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1508]BenElton'sBrother[/MENTION] hitting the course and if I'm not mistaken, Mrs [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] donning the yellow vest. :bowdown:

Wasn’t fun was it. My shoelace came undone half way round and I kind of gave up after that.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Cunning plan to pay for £80 French Road Tolls.... I bought £150 worth of wine in France. £100-£150 saved. So I haven't been up to running much the last fortnight.

Today boxed them all up in the attic ready for a month of little drinking to get some fitness back for my December attack on @GNT's AG. Had a nice progresive 6 miler on the pebbles, with a hungover hello to [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION], followed by a refreshing dip in the sea.

Didn't feel as unfit as I believed. Never do until the weekly cumulative mileage takes over.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Turned up at Littlehampton. In 35 years of running I've never seen anything quite like it. Abandoned ship and I think it was cancelled, but I couldn't actually see anything!

I saw a video of Littlehampton at 8.30, it was wild and yes it was cancelled just before it was due to start. Hove Park was delightful, the exposed corner by the Goldstone was bleak, by the basketball court it was turning into a small river across the path. I was amazed 223 brave souls turned up, and total respect to all the volunteers, it must have been much worse for them then us runners. [MENTION=1508]BenElton'sBrother[/MENTION] new rescue dog was not impressed by the rain or wind, one day I am looking forward to see him powering round the course once he has settled into life.

What do people think of the new PR website, I am not a great fan, especially when viewing on a phone. Not so bad on a bigger screen. I like the search options and sorting options.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm not sure why the website changes so often - the amount of investment that must be going into it isn't really necessary I don't think. The layout is fine, it's essentially moving away from the default view being race statistics. It wouldn't surprise me if they eventually have an option not to even see the finishing positions. It's a run not a race, sure, but it feels like every change they make is to limit the implication that it is a race.

Which it is, really. :thumbsup:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm not sure why the website changes so often - the amount of investment that must be going into it isn't really necessary I don't think. The layout is fine, it's essentially moving away from the default view being race statistics. It wouldn't surprise me if they eventually have an option not to even see the finishing positions. It's a run not a race, sure, but it feels like every change they make is to limit the implication that it is a race.

Which it is, really. :thumbsup:

I like opening this on my mobile. It tells you all that matters. It’s a race after all. I’m considering retiring whilst at my peak.

https://www.parkrun.it/salento/results/weeklyresults/?runSeqNumber=76

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here