Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Saturday was an amazing day. The Beachy Head Marathon is epic, I absolutely loved it (and hated it at the same time :) ) . My Garmin recorded 3,754 feet of climbing, but well worth it for the stunning views, the great stewards and pit stops and the fellow runners who around me where there to enjoy the challenge, take it all in and not worry about time. To hit the seven sisters with 5 miles still to go was a bit brutal, but the views over the cliffs, wow. I am glad at that stage that the wind was behind us and the gusts literally blew you up the hills. I am glad it was blowing you away from the cliff edge but at one stage I did get very close to one of the electric fences! I can honestly say it was my favourite marathon to date. The sausage rolls at one pit stop, yummy, the stewards keeping you update with the rugby scores and the big cheer as we queued to get through a kissing gate to get over the bridge at Alfriston was immense when the final score came through. This was the only real bottleneck but when the original route was under water no one was complaining - it took us a good 15 minutes to get through. As Jason said the steps, ouch, ouch, ouch and ouch, and then more appeared! This time I really took the time to enjoy the views, chat to fellow runners and basically really enjoy it all despite my feet & quads screaming at me to **** stop going up and down hills! The hot food after was very welcome and I was delighted to be eating my rice pudding as Everton scored our winner! YAY! I have said before but trail running is the way forward for me, going to give my sub 4 marathon two more attempts at Manchester and Brighton next year, then its off road for me!
BH1.jpg
bh1.5.jpg
bh2.jpg
bh3.jpg

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Would any of you old hands like to reassure me that I'll be able to walk normally again soon?! :mad:

Yes, you'll be fine. The mistake you made was going to fast – the last six miles for me at Beachy are pretty much a walking warm-down, hence my legs are fine the next day :lol:

AndyH

Mar 10, 2012
Hats off to all that did BH on Saturday. I was certainly slower than the times mentioned in other threads but still loved the event. Found the conditions really tough but that was made worse by my knees giving me real pain going down the slopes on the Seven Sisters. However, saying that, it’s amazing how Marathon amnesia sets in really quickly and am already contemplating doing it all again next year. Highly recommend it to anyone wanting to give a trail Marathon a go......well run event, spectacular views...oh and great checkpoint food stops !!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hats off to all that did BH on Saturday. I was certainly slower than the times mentioned in other threads but still loved the event. Found the conditions really tough but that was made worse by my knees giving me real pain going down the slopes on the Seven Sisters. However, saying that, it’s amazing how Marathon amnesia sets in really quickly and am already contemplating doing it all again next year. Highly recommend it to anyone wanting to give a trail Marathon a go......well run event, spectacular views...oh and great checkpoint food stops !!

Great work AndyH. Sounds a great day out from all your NSC feedback.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Would any of you old hands like to reassure me that I'll be able to walk normally again soon?! :mad:

I was a lot worse yesterday compared to Sunday! However I went for a swim and a sauna last night and feel pretty much back to "normal" today. I did look at the BH 2020 entry this morning whilst having a coffee. A mate is interested in the Snowdonia marathon which is the same weekend next year, but just seen that is via a ballot. I also keep looking at the Race to the Castle Ultra........................................

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Who has entered what before Xmas?

I may enter the 9m Downland Devil Sunday 1st December. Would like to do the Mince Pie week after but sold out. Be good if someone can get me a number...

May do Brighton 10k as a training run.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I may enter the 9m Downland Devil Sunday 1st December. Would like to do the Mince Pie week after but sold out. Be good if someone can get me a number...

Copthorne 50 miles on Nov 30th, but still on the crock's bench so looking a bit unlikely at the moment :down:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Not entered, but Goodwood track marathon in December and I'm on the lookout for a local trail marathon in November, if anyone's got any ideas?

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

Mince Pie entered. Will probably do DD9 aswell.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Nothing for me now until Brighton Half. 'Er indoors would like me to be free at weekends to take the boy to his football. I expect I'll slip in a parkrun or two (14 December still on) but otherwise it's back to Brighton seafront at 6am for my long runs.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You know I love an STE run, but M2M is the same date as Goodwood.

Gatliff sounds good but talk of finishing within 10 hours and checkpoints - knowing my sense of direction - gets me worried!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Gatliff is a laugh - you get a detailed book of directions to follow, its not difficult.......took pretty much the full 10 hours last time I did it. Course measurement was a bit off (apparently always is - they change the route every year) but no charge for the extra miles [emoji16] Best aid stations ever though.....

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Gatliff is a laugh - you get a detailed book of directions to follow, its not difficult.......took pretty much the full 10 hours last time I did it. Course measurement was a bit off (apparently always is - they change the route every year) but no charge for the extra miles [emoji16] Best aid stations ever though.....

Yeah, I had a closer look and it does look good fun, but I'm after something a bit more straightforward. There's a Phoenix run on the 17th in Walton, so I might go for that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here