Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Tried a hot 6x half mile intervals on Wednesday. Unfortunately I hadn’t recovered from my half marathon. First 2 were 30 seconds slower than 7:00 mile target, the third 45 secs below target, the next recovery stage became half a mile instead of a quarter, the fourth interval was aborted half way through, the other 2 were then ditched and I jogged 2 miles to the end.

Despite this I’m feeling a return to fitness but not enough to take [MENTION=11716]Penny[/MENTION]’s harmonica Salento Parkrun record in Puglia tomorrow morning. 21:15 is currently over a minute too much but i’ll give it a go.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I think I'm finally starting to get my running mojo back. I've lost a few pounds and am starting to find it easier, even throwing in a few short intervals the other day, and managing a sub 7 minute miles average 10k today.

I'm still having to manage my ankle a bit, but stretching, post run ibuprofen and icing, and binding it at night are all helping the recovery.

Thoughts are now turning to my training plan for Brighton Marathon, and I'll be following the FIRST plan again as that keeps the actual running to a minimum!

:D

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
First post on this thread, but been lurking for a while. Took up running last year as realised how unfit i am and now have most definitely got the bug.

2 weeks ago however i pulled a muscle in my chest whilst out and havent been able to run since, its still very much aching and causing pain and discomfort. I know alot of you dont like them but supposed to be running a 10k tomorrow. Anyone had any experience of a pulled chest muscle and have any advice?

After being fully checked out, including being misdiagnosed with a burst lung, i spent a while out of running, resting what was eventually confirmed as a pulled chest muscle as originally thought.

Been building the running back up slowly. Heading down for the Great South Run on Sunday and looking forward to it, not going for anything quick as not had the training and build up i had planned just going to head out and enjoy myself.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I often wonder if events would be more fun if they're not being raced. It's not going to change my mentality going into THE showdown over 10k on sunday, but I do wonder if the bigger events wouldn't be more enjoyed running at a comfortable pace and really taking in the surroundings. Much like not racing every parkrun is quite pleasant to remind yourself about enjoying the act of running itself.

Littlehampton parkrun for me tomorrow, I'm going to run below my intended 10k pace for Sunday and aim for sub-19, but not by much. Or I might just sit in with whoever is leading, depending on their pace, and make a decision whether I want a shot at the glory. Based on the last few weeks, I could compete, but Sunday is what matters!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I often wonder if events would be more fun if they're not being raced. It's not going to change my mentality going into THE showdown over 10k on sunday, but I do wonder if the bigger events wouldn't be more enjoyed running at a comfortable pace and really taking in the surroundings. Much like not racing every parkrun is quite pleasant to remind yourself about enjoying the act of running itself.

The (now numerous) Disney runs sound a bit like that, as there are characters and various other things going at various points of each race so most will slow down/stop for photos etc.

I'd quite like to do the WDW "Dopey Challenge" - 5k, 10k, half and full marathon over consecutive mornings.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sounds good fun, man. :smokin::smokin:

Legal in some states too but be careful not to get too Donald Ducked for the Marathon.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The (now numerous) Disney runs sound a bit like that, as there are characters and various other things going at various points of each race so most will slow down/stop for photos etc.

I'd quite like to do the WDW "Dopey Challenge" - 5k, 10k, half and full marathon over consecutive mornings.

5k, 10k, half and full marathon over consecutive mornings? Never mind 'Dopey' - I'd be Donald Ducked.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
All this rain is going to make Beachy Head Marathon interesting next week ��

It'll be OK if you're at the front.....so I've had it :lolol:

Having just got trail shoes I'm worried they're not hardcore enough. Should have gone for crampons.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

One of my friends was looking at doing that but it's ridiculously expensive. It's over $600 and that doesn't even include a pass for the parks.

He's now signed up to do a Half/8K (on the Saturday) and Full (on the Sunday) in Philadelphia next month. He's been injured and barely done any training, so we'll see how that goes!

Some other friends did the Flying Pig Marathon in Cincinnati last year. It's billed as a "party marathon" and there's a load of different themed cheer stations and more than the usual refreshments you'd expect to see on course. One guy was telling me he stopped to have a mimosa, then some crispy bacon and an IPA from a local brewery.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Used to have loads of calf issues (tightness, and then regular strains and tears). Turns out it was all due to a sticky sciatic nerve. 10 years+ of calf raises, stretching and rolling would have made ‘virtually no difference’ according to the physio that diagnosed the problem. The cure was very simple - a few mins of nerve flossing 2-3 times a week. Not had a single calf issue since...........

https://youtu.be/zzcncRdkHno

As for the strain, rest, gentle stretching when you can, then after a couple of weeks walking pain-free start light jogging, adding a minute or two at a time (always stop if it hurts at all)

Would recommend seeing a physio a) to make sure it is a strain and b) get some ultrasound and a massage on it (and maybe some tape)

Edit - oh and I regularly get 6-800 miles out of a pair of shoes

I finally got around to seeing a physio this morning, having had a massage last week. It is just a calf strain, as I suspected and he said it's quite minor, so I'm obviously relieved about that. He gave me a few exercises to do and I'm sticking to cross training on the elliptical or bike at least until I see him again next Friday. He mentioned he might do a bit of acupuncture next time which I know has worked for a few people in my running clubs.

It's interesting you mentioned your sciatic nerve. I was speaking to a woman last night who spent years trying to get treated for muscle problems in her legs and finally she saw someone who discovered she'd been pinching and stretching the sciatic nerve as a result of trying to overcome other injuries. She's been getting treatment for it since February and is finally getting close to being able to run properly again. It definitely pays to see someone quickly, and to get a second opinion if things get worse.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It'll be OK if you're at the front.....so I've had it :lolol:

Having just got trail shoes I'm worried they're not hardcore enough. Should have gone for crampons.

Beachy route doesn’t get too muddy.....only really squishy bit will be through Friston Forest, the rest of it will be fine in normal trail shoes.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Littlehampton parkrun for me tomorrow, I'm going to run below my intended 10k pace for Sunday and aim for sub-19, but not by much. Or I might just sit in with whoever is leading, depending on their pace, and make a decision whether I want a shot at the glory. Based on the last few weeks, I could compete, but Sunday is what matters!

Interesting discussion around the mentality. I’ve often thought about just running within myself and enjoying the run for other reasons other than time.

Then I think would I get bored. I’m competitive by nature and perhaps that’s what keeps me interested. I think as I get older I won’t fret so much over time and I might just run with mates aiming for enjoyment rather than PB’s.

Once I’m too old for PB’s I’d like to get more into marathons and possibly ultras. They don’t appeal now as too time consuming plus I hate the idea of walking during races but accept that is often the best approach. My personal/family life will also give me more time to run for longer.

Either way it’s great to be running regularly and staying fingers crossed injury free. 1051 miles already this year, which is a lot for me. Should hit c.1300 miles I’d imagine.

BiffyBoy

Aug 20, 2012
Always good to have a lurker “come out” and that’s impressive progress. I’m sure someone will update the table :wink:

My question would be simply how did you get in to them all without a GFA? Were they all charity places or did you just get lucky with the ballot? I’ve always fancied London but failed in the ballot three times. Used to live in Tokyo so would love to do that but, again, it looks pretty hard to get a place unless you spend or raise a fortune.

As for Moyleman - NO. I just need to get Beachy Head and Serpent Trail done and I can happily go back to road running for the rest of my “career”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Guiness Boy!

Actually a good question, especially now I'm trying to do Toyko which seems impossible in terms of entry. Bit of a lesson here on the ballot, and also not appreciating how big it is to get in on the ballot.

Boston (2016) - I basically got lucky and managed to get an invitational entry. This wouldn't happen in the UK but Boston is a big union city and via my wife's (second generation-think they're Irish) family someone asked my name, address, and age, and I got a letter through the door saying I'd been invited to attend the Boston Marathon. This was my first marathon, and in fairness, I still paid the entrance fee and not to feel like so much of a fake raised 3k for charity. - I know others that have done Boston for charity and it's a crazy amount to raise - I think typically 15k!

London (2018) - I got into London on the ballot in maybe 2014 and didn't train, missed the deadline to defer and bottled it (my first marathon ended up being Boston above in 2016) I tried for 4 years in a row and never got a place again. I ended up running for Leukemia Care in 2018 and the minimum raise was c2k - great charity!

NYC - (2018) - tried the ballot for 2 years - no luck. For this one, I ended up using sports international. It was just after London and made an impulse purchase. I did a random room share, and I think it was something like $1,200 for hotel and entry (no flight)

Chicago (2019) - a similar story to London, I got into Chicago on the ballot in 2012 first time trying and didn't train and ****ed up again by not doing it. I tried again for the past three years and didn't get in. This time I did charity again for a local Chicago charity Salute min-raise $1,800.

In summary, I think it's worth doing a calendar for all major ballots every year just on the off chance you'll get in.

I've been looking into Tokyo, and it seems so tough. - for charity you need to raise a certain amount before you eve get a place, and all the sports tours sell out straight away.

BiffyBoy

Aug 20, 2012
Sensational [MENTION=25288]BiffyBoy[/MENTION]! Top work and definitely deserving of an entry in the NSC Runners League Table!

Please provide 5k PB and 2019 best, 10k, 10 mile and Half Marathon PBs if you have them to hand and I'll get you added in. :thumbsup:

Thanks Ninja Elephant!

5k PB - 19.55 - Jamica Pond Park Run - 2019
10k - 41.31 - BAA Half Marathon - 2018
Half Marathon - 133:17 - Victoria Park Half Marathon 2019
Marathon - 03:18:39 - Chicago Marathon 2019

D

Deleted member 2719

Does anyone know the telephone number of the West Sussex tarmac resurfacing department?

Because I have just blistered, 6k's worth of footpaths!! :O

A massive PB for me.

Of course, they may have to rip it and start again...........................:rave:

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Unfortunately I missed taking part in the Barns Green half marathon last month as I was in the USA. Only the second time in seven years I haven't done it. I am now training for the Hastings but of course that isn't until March next year.....

Anyone know of any local half marathons over the winter period?

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
First in Age Group.
First in gender.
First runner home. First victory since 1972.
22:12ish a minute behind the Harmonica’s NSC course record.
Set off in front. Chased down by 5 amici who sent a man up to lead. Sat on his shoulder till 2.5 miles when he fell back. No sign of second when I finished.
Great Parkrun Salerno, puglia.
D7F719AD-AA87-4A0D-AA82-6227066991F5.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here