Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
A bit of injury advice required. I went on a tempo run last Thursday and about 2k from the end I suddenly felt pain in my left calf and had to tread very lightly on the way home. I rolled it and stretched it as much as I could after the run and didn't run on Friday. It seemed a lot better on my long run on Saturday, so I hoped it was healing. I did a fast(ish) 10k run last night and now it's hurting even more, even when I walk. I'm pretty sure it's a calf strain. I've booked a massage for Friday and I think I'll take a break from running until then. Any advice on what else I should do? I'm thinking of icing it tonight too.

I do wonder if this is caused by my shoes. The long run on Saturday was in an almost new pair, whereas the other runs were in pairs which have done around 300k each. I have been thinking about switching away from Saucony Ride because I do seem to get a stiffness in my calves whenever I run hard. Now it's finally developed into a strain I think it's time to switch to a pair with a slightly bigger drop. I've been looking at the New Balance 880v9, does anyone wear these?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
A bit of injury advice required. I went on a tempo run last Thursday and about 2k from the end I suddenly felt pain in my left calf and had to tread very lightly on the way home. I rolled it and stretched it as much as I could after the run and didn't run on Friday. It seemed a lot better on my long run on Saturday, so I hoped it was healing. I did a fast(ish) 10k run last night and now it's hurting even more, even when I walk. I'm pretty sure it's a calf strain. I've booked a massage for Friday and I think I'll take a break from running until then. Any advice on what else I should do? I'm thinking of icing it tonight too.

I do wonder if this is caused by my shoes. The long run on Saturday was in an almost new pair, whereas the other runs were in pairs which have done around 300k each. I have been thinking about switching away from Saucony Ride because I do seem to get a stiffness in my calves whenever I run hard. Now it's finally developed into a strain I think it's time to switch to a pair with a slightly bigger drop. I've been looking at the New Balance 880v9, does anyone wear these?

300km for a pair of running shoes is a hell of a lot. Is there any tread or spring left in them?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
300km for a pair of running shoes is a hell of a lot. Is there any tread or spring left in them?

It really isn't though. The tread is only very lightly worn. I normally get at least 500km out of a pair.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

I've had calf issues previously, calf raises was the key for me in responding to them. Loads of stretching and cross training was part of my plan, and I've been fine since (TOUCH WOOD). I often feel a little wobble but nothing significant or anything to worry about.

I'm a big fan of my Asics, they're all I run in and I was lucky to stumble across them right at the very start. I do need to get some new shoes on the move at some point because I've been using the same 3 pairs for a good few years now. They've all done comfortably 500 miles each, they're still pretty decent (which is also helped by rotating the shoes around) - but my little toes are popping out on them and that little rip will get bigger periodically. Sadly, I don't have much disposable income at the moment, hence the limited racing involvement in the last year or two - but new shoes are a must either by year end, or early 2020 when the sales kick in!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I've had calf issues previously, calf raises was the key for me in responding to them. Loads of stretching and cross training was part of my plan, and I've been fine since (TOUCH WOOD). I often feel a little wobble but nothing significant or anything to worry about.

I'm a big fan of my Asics, they're all I run in and I was lucky to stumble across them right at the very start. I do need to get some new shoes on the move at some point because I've been using the same 3 pairs for a good few years now. They've all done comfortably 500 miles each, they're still pretty decent (which is also helped by rotating the shoes around) - but my little toes are popping out on them and that little rip will get bigger periodically. Sadly, I don't have much disposable income at the moment, hence the limited racing involvement in the last year or two - but new shoes are a must either by year end, or early 2020 when the sales kick in!

Oh yes, I used to do calf raises when I had issues years ago. Thanks for reminding me. :thumbsup: I'm probably going to do a bit of cross training this week to replace the running. I was already planning a bike ride with some friends on Saturday, a perfect alternative to running on my tight calves.

I guess I've been lucky with having enough disposable income to keep my shoes ticking over nicely. You're going to have to be careful when you buy new shoes. Switching from really worn out ones to brand new ones can cause issues if you don't break them in gently.

I think I've been a bit complacent with the Saucony Rides I've been wearing for the last couple of years. I always get these calf issues but until now it's just been a lot of tightness rather than an actual strain. I need to listen to my body a bit more and try and find some shoes which don't give me any concerns after a hard run.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Oh yes, I used to do calf raises when I had issues years ago. Thanks for reminding me. :thumbsup: I'm probably going to do a bit of cross training this week to replace the running. I was already planning a bike ride with some friends on Saturday, a perfect alternative to running on my tight calves.

I guess I've been lucky with having enough disposable income to keep my shoes ticking over nicely. You're going to have to be careful when you buy new shoes. Switching from really worn out ones to brand new ones can cause issues if you don't break them in gently.

I think I've been a bit complacent with the Saucony Rides I've been wearing for the last couple of years. I always get these calf issues but until now it's just been a lot of tightness rather than an actual strain. I need to listen to my body a bit more and try and find some shoes which don't give me any concerns after a hard run.

Go to Winnipeg for a short break. You’re a lot nearer to Jesus than we are. He’ll sort you out in 30 minutes.

Good luck with recovery.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Used to have loads of calf issues (tightness, and then regular strains and tears). Turns out it was all due to a sticky sciatic nerve. 10 years+ of calf raises, stretching and rolling would have made ‘virtually no difference’ according to the physio that diagnosed the problem. The cure was very simple - a few mins of nerve flossing 2-3 times a week. Not had a single calf issue since...........

https://youtu.be/zzcncRdkHno

As for the strain, rest, gentle stretching when you can, then after a couple of weeks walking pain-free start light jogging, adding a minute or two at a time (always stop if it hurts at all)

Would recommend seeing a physio a) to make sure it is a strain and b) get some ultrasound and a massage on it (and maybe some tape)

Edit - oh and I regularly get 6-800 miles out of a pair of shoes

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm generally quite lucky with footwear, my feet are pretty used to taking a battering in the best of times.

I've synced my session at lunch time - I'm mostly quite pleased but a little bit disappointed with the drop off in raw pace - the splits were (per mile);

1 min - 5:38
2 min - 5:48
3 min - 5:45
4 min - 6:20
5 min - 6:06
4 min - 6:33
3 min - 6:24
2 min - 6:08
1 min - 5:15

I'm noticably slower in sessions than on a parkrun occasion, given my PB is now 5:44 per mile, only the two 1 minute and first 3 minute session were quicker than that. I was absolutely caning it on the final sprint and mugged off a cyclist who was trying to pace match (briefly).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A nice pyramid session for me today - 1 min (60 seconds jog recovery), 2 mins (90s), 3 mins (90s), 4 mins (120s), 5 (120s), 4 (120s), 3 (90s), 2 (90s), 1 (60s) - so many laps of the Level. I tried to run at 6 minutes per mile pace but I was a bit off I think, the last minute I tried to run at 5 minute mile pace and I was narrowly off (which I blame on a bend!). The upside to running many, many loops of the Level is that it's a nice big space with loads of pathways. The downside is you repeatedly run past the cheap seats in the gallery with all the drinkers shouting encouraging phrases. I'm all for crowd participation, but it did make me wonder what the same experience would be like if I were a lady. "Run, Forest, Run!" would be replaced with something slightly more colourful I think!

I also did a pyramid session in Edinburgh where I'm stuck working (again). 1/2/3/4/3/2/1 for me with 90 secs recovery in between but, given I've yet to find anywhere flat here to run to there was the added bonus of a hill or two. Went really well and a workmate came with me so I wasn't lonely (or lost). Certainly made up for my three hour longest pre-BH run on Sunday which was simply horrible, knees, hamstrings and particularly my back basically refusing to work after the two hour mark. So, right now, seem to be doing well at the short stuff and not so well at the longer runs which is the opposite to normal!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I also did a pyramid session in Edinburgh where I'm stuck working (again). 1/2/3/4/3/2/1 for me with 90 secs recovery in between but, given I've yet to find anywhere flat here to run to there was the added bonus of a hill or two. Went really well and a workmate came with me so I wasn't lonely (or lost). Certainly made up for my three hour longest pre-BH run on Sunday which was simply horrible, knees, hamstrings and particularly my back basically refusing to work after the two hour mark. So, right now, seem to be doing well at the short stuff and not so well at the longer runs which is the opposite to normal!

Make sure you're getting plenty of walking in as well - Beachy Head will inevitably mean some walking sections and I always find a nice walk after a run is ideal recovery. It's nice and slow and allows your muscles to be working at low effort for an extended period of time. [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] is a passionate advocate of a good walk in a training cycle, and that's a man who knows about long distance events! Beachy Head is a beautiful event, and as much a hike as a run!

A more tame Sea Life Centre to Saltdean on the top road and back along the undercliff for me today. Or I might be really bold and run the undercliff first, so I take in the undulating part on tired legs. Bring it on!

I have my bike back, so I'm thinking about East Brighton Park or Peacehaven for my parkrun travels on saturday. [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] - any chance you'll be unleashed on a parkrun?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
No pyramids for me this morning, but intervals and a Strava CR for a segment close to home that I discovered the other morning. It was right at the end of my run, but I'd forgotten a) what the target time was and b) how far up the road it went so I ended up taking nearly 30 seconds off the previous record :lol:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
As as for the trainer thing, I manage to get about 1,500-1,800 miles out of mine with no real degredation to the sole or injury issues. I guess I'm just lucky :shrug:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
As as for the trainer thing, I manage to get about 1,500-1,800 miles out of mine with no real degredation to the sole or injury issues. I guess I'm just lucky :shrug:

And known for being soft footed. :thumbsup: Do you have a few pairs on rotation? I think that's why mine have lasted so comfortably for so long. I always think about replacing my old orange ones, which must be 3/4 years old now but they're not causing me any issues and when I'm splashing through puddles on the undercliff, I'm glad I'm not in anything better.

A nice 10 miler for me, Pier to Saltdean and back again (with a little bit extra past the Pier on the return leg and ALL the way to the wall on the undercliff at Saltdean). I ran the easy way first and ran back along the top road into the wind on the way back. The sea is marvellous today.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just started light jogging again after a whole summer off with evil bouts of gout. Even after the obligatory ten days of purgatory when your foot feels on fire, then the next ten days when it instantly cruelly transfers to the other foot, there's a further month to get over the period where it feels like somebody bent all your foot bones out of shape. Feels good to be finally out and about again, actually look forward to an early morning jog - and the amazing sunrises - and feel somewhat cheated if I have to call a halt due to rain. Could still go out in a downpour I suppose, but as I'm not in training for anything specific, seems a bit pointless somehow. What I would say is that one of the unexpected (to me at least) is dramatic weight loss. And when the gout finally f***s off, it's quite amazing (again, to me at least) how much performance improves, even after an extended layoff, due to being a stone and a half lighter. Run Forrest, RUN! :rave:

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
LOL the whole Edinburgh marathon is virtually pancake flat for starters [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Depending on where you're staying, you could head out past Holyrood towards Leith, run along the A8 and back or even better get on to the Union Canal Towpath that starts in Fountainbridge. For laps/intervals, The Meadows is perfect (just up from Tollcross). If you want a proper hill Arthurs Seat is worth the trip for the views alone

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
And known for being soft footed. :thumbsup: Do you have a few pairs on rotation? I think that's why mine have lasted so comfortably for so long. I always think about replacing my old orange ones, which must be 3/4 years old now but they're not causing me any issues and when I'm splashing through puddles on the undercliff, I'm glad I'm not in anything better.

A nice 10 miler for me, Pier to Saltdean and back again (with a little bit extra past the Pier on the return leg and ALL the way to the wall on the undercliff at Saltdean). I ran the easy way first and ran back along the top road into the wind on the way back. The sea is marvellous today.

Not really. A pair for everyday road stuff, a pair for the trails and another pair I use very occasionally for the odd parkrun here and there. I just buy a new pair when the others wear out.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Make sure you're getting plenty of walking in as well - Beachy Head will inevitably mean some walking sections and I always find a nice walk after a run is ideal recovery. It's nice and slow and allows your muscles to be working at low effort for an extended period of time. [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] is a passionate advocate of a good walk in a training cycle, and that's a man who knows about long distance events! Beachy Head is a beautiful event, and as much a hike as a run!

A more tame Sea Life Centre to Saltdean on the top road and back along the undercliff for me today. Or I might be really bold and run the undercliff first, so I take in the undulating part on tired legs. Bring it on!

I have my bike back, so I'm thinking about East Brighton Park or Peacehaven for my parkrun travels on saturday. [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] - any chance you'll be unleashed on a parkrun?

I do a lot of walking too and I'm sure it helps with my training. I try and go for a walk most lunchtimes when I'm in the office and it's really good for mental health as well as physical.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I do a lot of walking too and I'm sure it helps with my training. I try and go for a walk most lunchtimes when I'm in the office and it's really good for mental health as well as physical.

The walking for me is more a fully integrated part of certain sessions, particularly those in training blocks leading to hilly marathons or ultras (thinking being most of us will walk the inclines anyway, so it’s useful to practice doing it, as well as the conditioning it puts into the legs). I do quite a lot of sessions in these blocks of ‘hiking hill repeats’ - 2-5 minutes hard hiking uphill/jog back down x 5 etc

The hill hiking on these sessions is nasty - it’s usually at something like 5-10k flat running pace effort. On the LSRs it’s not as intense - aim then is that the breathing/HR stays similar to the (slow) running pace on the flat.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Just started light jogging again after a whole summer off with evil bouts of gout. Even after the obligatory ten days of purgatory when your foot feels on fire, then the next ten days when it instantly cruelly transfers to the other foot, there's a further month to get over the period where it feels like somebody bent all your foot bones out of shape. Feels good to be finally out and about again, actually look forward to an early morning jog - and the amazing sunrises - and feel somewhat cheated if I have to call a halt due to rain. Could still go out in a downpour I suppose, but as I'm not in training for anything specific, seems a bit pointless somehow. What I would say is that one of the unexpected (to me at least) is dramatic weight loss. And when the gout finally f***s off, it's quite amazing (again, to me at least) how much performance improves, even after an extended layoff, due to being a stone and a half lighter. Run Forrest, RUN! :rave:

:clap2: :clap2:

Keep going, THPP. Impressive weight loss.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here