Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I have a feeling that when I sync today's lunch run later, my September distance travelled might be enough to dominate the thread! (Including cycling!)

Maybe not. I’ve run 19.8 pedestrian miles but have clocked 2,600 miles sitting on my arse.

Excellent running from you. Ripping the training schedules to pieces and getting faster and faster without a let up........However, I’ve invested heavily on the 6/1 on offer for [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] at the Arena 10k.

Hope you personally achieve at Leicester more than Mickey Adams did. Good luck.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I have a feeling that when I sync today's lunch run later, my September distance travelled might be enough to dominate the thread! (Including cycling!)

I did 223 miles of running in August (and 23,486ft of elevation).......September, although it had an ultra in it also included a two week taper and a week's recovery, so was a lot lower at 155.1 miles. 1,472m YTD so far..............

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Only around half of the early bird entries gone for next years Barns Green. £18 affiliated or £20 unaffiliated rather than the £40 nearer the time.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Only around half of the early bird entries gone for next years Barns Green. £18 affiliated or £20 unaffiliated rather than the £40 nearer the time.

Cheers mate. I'm in already. Definitely my favourite run of this year so far, made even better by the fact I didn't have to clean the cowshit off my mate's car afterwards.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Since I had my card out I seem to have "accidentally" entered my first ultra. Will be doing the Serpent Trail 50k next July with two of the Slovenia crew. My mate who came 8th in the 50 miler Dazzer just ran is also driving up with us but we'll probably let him run his own race :lolol:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Having got utterly pissed on out with the dog, just walking this morning, any recommendations for very lightweight but very waterproof running jackets?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Go and get it done, Bozza!

Did what felt like the longest 2.5 miles of my life running up and down the Gallops in Findon in the dark and pissing rain with the dog wearing his disco collar, only to get home and find I was still 0.2m short.

So I went round the block to cover that off.

July 2016 - 236 miles
August 2016 - 80 miles
Nearly every month after that - 0 miles
July 2019 - 35 miles
August 2019 - 22 miles
September 2019 - 100 miles

I might take a day off today as I'm very aware of overdoing it again. (Days off still involve 7-10 miles of hill-walking with the dog.)

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Did what felt like the longest 2.5 miles of my life running up and down the Gallops in Findon in the dark and pissing rain with the dog wearing his disco collar, only to get home and find I was still 0.2m short.

So I went round the block to cover that off.

July 2016 - 236 miles
August 2016 - 80 miles
Nearly every month after that - 0 miles
July 2019 - 35 miles
August 2019 - 22 miles
September 2019 - 100 miles

I might take a day off today as I'm very aware of overdoing it again. (Days off still involve 7-10 miles of hill-walking with the dog.)

I never run consecutive days, as it leads to my middle-aged body rapidly breaking down - swimming, cycling or walking (which you clearly have sorted), for me the day after a run.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Since I had my card out I seem to have "accidentally" entered my first ultra. Will be doing the Serpent Trail 50k next July with two of the Slovenia crew. My mate who came 8th in the 50 miler Dazzer just ran is also driving up with us but we'll probably let him run his own race :lolol:

Ohhh excellent stuff. I am looking at possibly another 100k event next year, there is a new one coming out called Race to the Castle up in Northumberland. Waiting to see the cost first! The Serpent trail 50k looks a good one, might look into a bit more....

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Having got utterly pissed on out with the dog, just walking this morning, any recommendations for very lightweight but very waterproof running jackets?

Have tried a few, none are really fully waterproof (and even those that are you end up sweating inside them anyway). Best I’ve used so far is the OMM Kamleika - very lightweight, taped seams and you can usually find these on offer somewhere as they’re not the very latest model. To go fully waterproof you’ll need to go for a heavier thing. Smock version below, there’s also a full zip front version - I used mine on Sunday in the biblical rain on the SDW and it was pretty effective

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product...hMIwN36lo775AIVB7TtCh11FQh2EAAYAiAAEgIhNfD_Bw

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
A fascinating read, this. What now for Mo? He'll certainly have some (more) questions to answer...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/49853029

Despite my current workload, I made some time to read the whole thing - it makes me think of cycling articles I was reading before the final Lance judgement came out. It's like a story that everyone knows, but isn't public.

I think the saddest thing about the whole thing is that tars everyone with a brush. Even me - there are a few runners I work with who don't believe I'm not off my tits on some substance, given the recent PB streak over 5k. Obviously, they don't see the Strava uploads during the week - just the parkrun times on a saturday. But it's always there, even if it's jokey, there's some suspicion there.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I think the saddest thing about the whole thing is that tars everyone with a brush. Even me - there are a few runners I work with who don't believe I'm not off my tits on some substance, given the recent PB streak over 5k. Obviously, they don't see the Strava uploads during the week - just the parkrun times on a saturday. But it's always there, even if it's jokey, there's some suspicion there.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"

That is a joke with no suspicion.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Just checking what this training entails?

“200m turnarounds:

200m, 45 rec., turn, 200m.

(3 sets of 6)”

So I get it’s 200m with recovery, but what does 3 sets of 6 mean? 3 or 6 times in total?
Cheers!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

“200m turnarounds:

(3 sets of 6)”

So I get it’s 200m with recovery, but what does 3 sets of 6 mean? 3 or 6 times in total?
Cheers!

18. 3x6. Enjoy! Take the first ser a little easy.

Or is it 3x6x200 or 3x6x400. ???

Sorry can’t help.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

“200m turnarounds:

(3 sets of 6)”

Cheers!

You do 6 x 200 metres in each set, with a 45 second recovery time between each 200m sprint. Do 6 of them, then have a 3-5 minute rest, and repeat the 6 sprints. You should basically be deceased by the end of it. :thumbsup:

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"

That is a joke with no suspicion.

You're on fine form today, Gaffer :thumbsup:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Just catching up with this thread from the weekend. Some top efforts from everyone who raced :clap2: [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] you're turning into a running machine! Going for it in a 5k is such a painful experience, so I take my hat off to you doing it every week.

As for me. I was starting to train for the Philadelphia Marathon on 24th November, to pace my friend. She's picked up an injury and decided not to do it. So, after a bit of thought I've decided to drop to the Half Marathon which has the added bonus of being on the Saturday morning giving me more time to enjoy the local beers with the group I'm going with (most are doing the half). I'm going to try for a fast half, which should set me up nicely to start my training for Boston a few weeks later.

I'm also doing a charity 5k this Sunday, with a few people from work. I don't think it's chip timed or anything, but there's still that part of me that wants to go for it!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Just catching up with this thread from the weekend. Some top efforts from everyone who raced :clap2: [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] you're turning into a running machine! Going for it in a 5k is such a painful experience, so I take my hat off to you doing it every week.

As for me. I was starting to train for the Philadelphia Marathon on 24th November, to pace my friend. She's picked up an injury and decided not to do it. So, after a bit of thought I've decided to drop to the Half Marathon which has the added bonus of being on the Saturday morning giving me more time to enjoy the local beers with the group I'm going with (most are doing the half). I'm going to try for a fast half, which should set me up nicely to start my training for Boston a few weeks later.

I'm also doing a charity 5k this Sunday, with a few people from work. I don't think it's chip timed or anything, but there's still that part of me that wants to go for it!

I had to step it up a bit to get back above you in the table. :thumbsup: I'm going to take a few weeks off the 5k pace train now - there'll be no PB attempts now until Christmas Day I don't think. Unless I get carried away and/or battle it out with [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] which I think is on the cards?

How quickly do you reckon you could run a Half? Is your current 1:22 a long standing record just sitting there waiting to be beaten?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here