Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
I bought my wife the Garmin Forerunner 735x for Christmas. No idea if it is any good tbh. What do you guys think? She does mainly cross country at the moment but planning to middle distance on the track in the summer.

One thing I’ve recently started to look into is GPS accuracy. With regards to Garmin watches the things I’ve read so far indicates the older watches are better for this, as the focus on newer watches is reducing size and weight, and the compromise is a smaller antenna.

One of the tests I’ve seen is on a track where the bend can show up poor reception. But also cross country with lots of turns and trees etc, are also where it’s important.

I have a (newish) 920XT (aimed at triathlon) and the general consensus seems to be something like the 310XT is more accurate.

Would be interested to hear the opinions from anyone on NSC?

D

Deleted member 2719

I thought I would revisit this thread with a quick update...

Well, Junior Park Run has certainly changed our lives in a really positive way and got us all doing something as a family. Since this first run (above), my daughter (9) and son (7) have participated every single week, despite it being an early start every Sunday and a good 40 minute drive to get to the venue. So far they have run in freezing temperatures, torential rain, howling winds and just once it was actually quite pleasant. But they always finish with a sprint, a massive smile on their faces and covered in mud. I won't pretend I am always thrilled about the state of the car interior by the time we get home, but it's worth it for a great start to Sundays and the fact the kids are always keen for an early night on Saturdays.

The next 2 weeks mark a personal Park Run milestone for them both. Next Sunday my daughter receives her 11-run wristband and the week after it will be the turn of my little boy. I'm really proud of both of them and the fact that they haven't missed a single week on the way to this achievement, inspite of being given the option to go or stay home every Sunday.

The volunteers who make JPR happen every week without fail really are a class apart.

I agree with you, great event for the kids both ours have done these until recently and mainly stopped due to other sporting commitments.

If your up for it you can run around the 5k parkruns with them in a year or two.:thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I bought my wife the Garmin Forerunner 735x for Christmas. No idea if it is any good tbh. What do you guys think? She does mainly cross country at the moment but planning to middle distance on the track in the summer.

I’ll let you know what I think over the next couple of weeks. Wife has bought me one. My old 235 was fine apart from a warn strap buckle but the 735 is “smart”. I’ve had all my Christmas texts on it but I’ve not measured a run yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
One thing I’ve recently started to look into is GPS accuracy. With regards to Garmin watches the things I’ve read so far indicates the older watches are better for this, as the focus on newer watches is reducing size and weight, and the compromise is a smaller antenna.

One of the tests I’ve seen is on a track where the bend can show up poor reception. But also cross country with lots of turns and trees etc, are also where it’s important.

I have a (newish) 920XT (aimed at triathlon) and the general consensus seems to be something like the 310XT is more accurate.

Would be interested to hear the opinions from anyone on NSC?
310xt is alright but my Suunto Ambit Peak 3 absolutely kicks it's arse on GPS accuracy and battery life. It's brilliant.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Talking of getting chicked this story is absolutely incredible. Camille Herron smashing an entire ultra field at the age of 37 fuelled by tacos and beer. And not an inhaler in sight :lol:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/46566122

I watched that unfold (tuned in as she approached the record - my coach was in the race so was just looking to see how he was doing but he’d bailed[emoji23]) on their live tracker and youtube live feed, quite amazing. She was 8 minute miling in the last 20 mins.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003

First use of my 735x this morning and very happy with it. I know all the mile markers between my house and my run on the seafront and it hit them exactly (or at least they were the same as the 235 measured). GPS clicked in immediately, the old 235 could take over a minute to register at the start of the run. I've also bluetooth synced it to my phone. As soon as I started the Garmin Connect app the run synced to both that and Strava on the phone. Have to say I'm impressed. I'll keep you posted on battery life etc as I go.

As a side note don't do intervals on Boxing Day morning if you've had a "traditional" Christmas. It's not big and it's not clever.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
First use of my 735x this morning and very happy with it. I know all the mile markers between my house and my run on the seafront and it hit them exactly (or at least they were the same as the 235 measured). GPS clicked in immediately, the old 235 could take over a minute to register at the start of the run. I've also bluetooth synced it to my phone. As soon as I started the Garmin Connect app the run synced to both that and Strava on the phone. Have to say I'm impressed. I'll keep you posted on battery life etc as I go.

As a side note don't do intervals on Boxing Day morning if you've had a "traditional" Christmas. It's not big and it's not clever.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I didn’t even check my plan this morning.......went out with a mate for 75 mins or so of sloggy x-country, decent workout. Just seen plans says :

Reducing ladder speed session – ideally on a track but can be done by estimated time for each distance too. 1600m-1200m-800m-600m-400m-200m with rests of 3 mins-2.5 mins-2 mins-1.5 mins-1.5 mins, gradually speeding up for the shorter distances. Start at 10k effort and move up to 800m effort or faster by the last rep. Include a warm-up and warm-down jog with strides. Do this as time for effort whilst you are away if you don't have access to flat road ie. just jump on any trail and work at the appropriate effort for the interval times only.

No. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Talking of getting chicked this story is absolutely incredible. Camille Herron smashing an entire ultra field at the age of 37 fuelled by tacos and beer. And not an inhaler in sight :lol:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/46566122

Was reading that last night through a red wine and gine haze. Absolutely mental.

Gentle 4.5k this morning trying to keep the excess acid down. Really determined to crack on in the New Year having given myself an easy November and December to let my body recover.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011

Thanks for the update Guinness Boy. Glad you like it.
No plans for a run today! Just a seriously bad parkrun time Christmas morning.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I didn’t even check my plan this morning.......went out with a mate for 75 mins or so of sloggy x-country, decent workout. Just seen plans says :

Reducing ladder speed session – ideally on a track but can be done by estimated time for each distance too. 1600m-1200m-800m-600m-400m-200m with rests of 3 mins-2.5 mins-2 mins-1.5 mins-1.5 mins, gradually speeding up for the shorter distances. Start at 10k effort and move up to 800m effort or faster by the last rep. Include a warm-up and warm-down jog with strides. Do this as time for effort whilst you are away if you don't have access to flat road ie. just jump on any trail and work at the appropriate effort for the interval times only.

No. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

On topic for many of us this morning; did your acid reflux when upping the pace disappear?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
On topic for many of us this morning; did your acid reflux when upping the pace disappear?

Thanks for asking......sadly not.......it’s not as apparent as it was, but still appears from time to time, seemingly at random. I tried some OTC drugs which seemed to help but don’t want to get dependent on stuff like that. Still experimenting with potential triggers (no obvious candidates yet) and cider vinegar....antacid tablets prior to running seems to help as well.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Thanks for asking......sadly not.......it’s not as apparent as it was, but still appears from time to time, seemingly at random. I tried some OTC drugs which seemed to help but don’t want to get dependent on stuff like that. Still experimenting with potential triggers (no obvious candidates yet) and cider vinegar....antacid tablets prior to running seems to help as well.

Is it just with running? I’ve had reflux for years and take a prescribed proton pump inhibitor. If I run out of my prescription the Boots Acid Reflux tablets do the job just as well. They’re not addictive and, in any case, are quite expensive but one popped before a long run should do the job.

No obvious side effects from the prescription either and Doc is fine with me running.

My biggest triggers back in the day were white wine, coffee or citrus fruit.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester

Out of interest what's your verdict on the 235? Have been looking to get a Garmin watch for a few months but the 735 is a little more than I was ideally looking to spend. On Amazon the Forerunner 35 seems to have a better rating than the 235 but looks a lot more basic. Don't like trusting reviews based on people on Amazon!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

An unwelcome mystery but good it's not getting any worse. Good luck.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Is it just with running? I’ve had reflux for years and take a prescribed proton pump inhibitor. If I run out of my prescription the Boots Acid Reflux tablets do the job just as well. They’re not addictive and, in any case, are quite expensive but one popped before a long run should do the job.

No obvious side effects from the prescription either and Doc is fine with me running.

My biggest triggers back in the day were white wine, coffee or citrus fruit.

Yep, just running, and only either at high intensity (ie parkrun) or sometimes on long distances, typically after 3 hours or so. It’s non prescription PPIs I’ve been taking......I might pay a visit to the Doc. Cheers.

I rarely drink white wine (except cava, will try binning that), don’t have a lot of citrus fruit (interestingly though things like lemon/lime isotonic gels screw my stomach up so could be something in that) and don’t typically have coffee before running.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Out of interest what's your verdict on the 235? Have been looking to get a Garmin watch for a few months but the 735 is a little more than I was ideally looking to spend. On Amazon the Forerunner 35 seems to have a better rating than the 235 but looks a lot more basic. Don't like trusting reviews based on people on Amazon!

Not massively impressed for the price to be honest. The heart rate monitor was quite useful but it struggled to find GPS quickly and charging and dowloading via USB were always quite hit and miss. I went through one that just died on me while still in warranty, though they were brilliant at sending a replacement almost immediately. Lastly the strap's buckle wore through very quickly.

It did have great battery life and consistant GPS once it had kicked in though and was very comfortable to wear until the strap buckle wore though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not massively impressed for the price to be honest. The heart rate monitor was quite useful but it struggled to find GPS quickly and charging and dowloading via USB were always quite hit and miss. I went through one that just died on me while still in warranty, though they were brilliant at sending a replacement almost immediately. Lastly the strap's buckle wore through very quickly.

It did have great battery life and consistant GPS once it had kicked in though and was very comfortable to wear until the strap buckle wore though.

Having had maybe 8 Garmins over the years, and now trying a Suunto, I won’t be going back. Amazon are doing the Ambit 3 for £125 at the moment......half price.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester

Good to know, will look at alternatives I think.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here