Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Cheers for the heads up, I decided at the last minute to do the Firle half; it's a new one for me. And Jeeeez, it must rate as the most grueling half I've ever done. Fantastic views once you're on top of the beacon though. I dread to think what the long run across the Firle Beacon ridge must be like when the weather is poor.

I clocked in at 1:54:36. My only criticism is the lack of a memento/medal at the end.

I stopped off and had a look at Falmer on the way back...and bought some bits and pieces in the next door farm shop. Feet up now listening to Brian Eno :thumbsup:

Well done! I just about managed to run all the hills. Thought that last slope at 20k was mean. I crept in just under 1.50. Given that I have got more medals than Jimmy Savilles medallions was pleased to get the bag. Don't forget to put your feedback on Runners World

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well done! I just about managed to run all the hills. Thought that last slope at 20k was mean. I crept in just under 1.50. Given that I have got more medals than Jimmy Savilles medallions was pleased to get the bag. Don't forget to put your feedback on Runners World

I ran it all, but yeah that last incline was mean. It is tougher than the Seaford Head half IMO. I'll do it again though. I like these smaller off-road halfs.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Well done guys, good running times today

managed my first jog back from injury - 1mile. Nowhere near as stretching as your runs but good to be back

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Good luck with New Forest. I have only run this marathon once. From what I remember it was a little hillier than I thought it would have been, but still a quick course & great scenery.

I am running Clarendon marathon next Sunday (12th marathon of 2010), so the Firle half is merely a training run (though running up to Firle Beacon won't seem so, tomorrow!).

Good luck & let us all know how you fair.

Survived!! 3'49'15. Pleased with that for my first marathon and factoring in the hills.

Am entered for Brighton where I hope I will get closer to 3'40, but have already decided that will be my last marathon. Too much effort in training and am concerned about the potential future joint damage etc. Interested in your thoughts on that, as you do so many marathons.

Will stick to 10ks and halfs after that!

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Suggestion

Do you think there would be enough interest to talk to the club about, or source ourselves, Albion running vests or at least technical Ts. Blue and white stripes with the club badge.

Would look great if a load of us running the Brighton marathon wore these. Would also get a good response from a lot of the watching crowds.

The actual Albion shirts are not good for running in I have found (in case that is suggested)-too much material and not breathable enough (bizarrely for a sports shirt!).

Thoughts?

Suggestion

Do you think there would be enough interest to talk to the club about, or source ourselves, Albion running vests or at least technical Ts. Blue and white stripes with the club badge.

Would look great if a load of us running the Brighton marathon wore these. Would also get a good response from a lot of the watching crowds.

The actual Albion shirts are not good for running in I have found (in case that is suggested)-too much material and not breathable enough (bizarrely for a sports shirt!).

Thoughts?

Count me in!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Survived!! 3'49'15. Pleased with that for my first marathon and factoring in the hills.

Am entered for Brighton where I hope I will get closer to 3'40, but have already decided that will be my last marathon. Too much effort in training and am concerned about the potential future joint damage etc. Interested in your thoughts on that, as you do so many marathons.

Will stick to 10ks and halfs after that!

My personal view is that if your joints start to hurt/get damaged you will know about it quickly; so you can stop. It will not go undetected, so it is unlikely you will do yourself any major damage. I'll keep going until my hinges say otherwise. Some runners go all through life with no issues, others do not. Keep at it, and if your start to hurt do not try and be a hero....just stop.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Suggestion

Thoughts?
I'd certainly buy a proper running vest from the club. Someone should post it as a suggestion for Insider.

As for me, back in light training at the end of October. I've been injured since May but my physio reckons I'll be back running and playing football in 4 weeks. It can't come fast enough. I plan on running the Brighton marathon again in 2012, but can't do 2011 because training coincides with the first few months of my third child's life. I don't think the wife would be best pleased if I was spending my weekends running.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
A serious question for running bods.

Being a complete novice runner (max 6 miles 12 years ago), am I taking on too much with the Brighton AND London marathon within a week of each other next year?

Spank you.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

Being a complete novice runner (max 6 miles 12 years ago), am I taking on too much with the Brighton AND London marathon within a week of each other next year?

Spank you.

Assuming you are not looking merely to walk Brighton, but push yourself to the max, particularly as a novice, you will be in no shape to do London the next weekend!

However if you merely wish to get round both, but expend little energy, you would be fine.

Personally, unless you are stretching yourself, I see little point in doing either, but maybe that's just me!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Assuming you are not looking merely to walk Brighton, but push yourself to the max, particularly as a novice, you will be in no shape to do London the next weekend!

However if you merely wish to get round both, but expend little energy, you would be fine.

Personally, unless you are stretching yourself, I see little point in doing either, but maybe that's just me!
I concur.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Spank you.

If you're not too overweight then yup, you can do it. You will need to start training now though, and get yourself up to 13 miles by Xmas I reckon.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you're not too overweight then yup, you can do it. You will need to start training now though, and get yourself up to 13 miles by Xmas I reckon.

..and I agree with the other two posts...you should aim for simply finishing both races with no heroics.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Out of curiosity, why not having run for 12 years do you suddenly want to run 2 marathons in a week?

Is it just that you have been accepted for both or have you just turned into a nutter?

Unless its only about charity I would strongly suggest you pick whichever one you prefer, then focus on that and ditch the other. Otherwise you will likely find the sheer scale of completing both mentally too much, and worse injure yourself either in training or on the day having tried too hard, and end up doing neither.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I would pick just 1 marathon, you'll not be in any fit state to run another within a week, in fact you won't feel like a gentle 3 mile jog for at least a week after running a marathon to the best of your ability.

I noticed a few posts on shin splints and other skeletal type injuries. You guys are replacing your trainers on a regular basis aren't you? Buying a new pair every 400 miles is a good rule of thumb.

murphy's law

Nov 24, 2008
One marathon is more tham enough, its an extreme physical and mental challenge, you never know how your body will react. Most top maratoners will do 2 a year max in Spring and Autumn, the same for club runners.

It takes a long time to recover, so 2 in a week is not advisable, you risk serious injury if you do both in my opinion.

I think there is a dangerous tendancy nowadyas to push the body to ridiculous extremes, Eddie Izzard was a one off and walked a lot of his back to back marathons.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ah yes, the running thread. Anyone get into London? Confirmations went out a few weeks back now but I've not heard anything from anyone.

I've got a conditional place for Boston, they just need to confirm my time and I'm fully in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here