Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Brookes Infiniti but about to get new Brooke's Ravenna, which will be my third Brookes. Does that make it 4,5 or 6?

Sorry back to 3. Cancel the Brookes. My Californian living brother can get ASICs at half price from US. So for a £100 I am getting Kinsei 5, Fuji trainer 2 (trail shoe) and Hyper speed 6. He also got me a free Garmin Forerunner 2 years back. He'd be a good brother if he hadn't beaten me by 36 minutes in last years Brighton Marathon.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just bought my second pair of Brooks Ravenna today from Run. Excellent shop, when I purchased my first pair from there the guy filmed me as I done a circuit of the nearby streets. The shoes are crucial for injury prevention, as so few people have anything close to a perfect running technique.

And never take a female into Run. Frau Tubthumper went a bit twirly when that lean French bloke who works in there started talking. This is the only downside to the shop.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just finished my 38 mile training for the week. Ran past 7:18 at Hove Lagoon when I was on 10.5 miles out of the 11m for today. I was in the black and yellow top tied round waist grimacing and sweating profusely. Only recognised you at last second. Are you doing the marathon again? Good run for me along to Ovingdean along cliffs above Marina and back to the arse end of Hove. Beautiful day. Feel good having achieved all training levels for the week but bushwacked.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
My mate has opened a running shop in Eastbourne called Tempo. He's a triathlete so knows his stuff.

Went for my first run of the year seeing as it's the perfect day for it. If anyone see's the lung I coughed up in Preston Park, please let me know.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside I have invested in a Gore-Tex winter running outfit for when it goes sub-zero and snows. I'm a bit pissed off we have a very mild winter so far.

8 miles at minus 14 this morning. I can confirm my winter outfit works!

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Do we have many Brighton marathon runners here? How's the training going so far? Just building up the mileage, not sure if it's a good idea to get new shoes before or after

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
9.5 miles in total this morning. Main session was 10, 8, 6, 4, 2 mins at 5k pace with half as much time after each effort at 'easy' pace.

Tough but effective session, and now full of self-righteousness and looking forward to relaxing in front SSN.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Had a good parkrun this morning, but could have done better...as for the Marathon training, doing 8 minute miles and up to 13 miles last Sunday, aiming for 15 tomorrow.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Do we have many Brighton marathon runners here? How's the training going so far? Just building up the mileage, not sure if it's a good idea to get new shoes before or after

It's not a problem getting new shoes mid-training, I have done it before, but run-them-in on the shorter runs. A few 6-8 milers and they will be fine.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Shoes lose their cushioning after about 500 miles, so new shoes for the marathon are a good idea. They'll need about 30-40 miles to wear them in and get the insoles moulded to your feet to minimise blister potential, but other than that there should be no problems.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Yep, signed up for Brighton at last year's registration and really looking forward to it. Training has been hampered a little bit by arrival of the third, and final, Bobkin Jnr, but I've still managed the long weekend runs, which is something.

I got new Asics a few months ago, and they are so comfortable - although that's probably something to do with my old ones having worn out a long time before they were replaced. They, too, were really comfortable though, hence hanging on to them.

First parkrun of the year today, and was nice to step things up a gear, even if it was for 5km.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade

Yes indeed. Brighton marathon number 5 this year. Hoping for improvement again this year. Training going OK I think. New PB at parkrun this morning. New shoes now should be absolutely fine as others have said.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Isn't the NHS wonderful. I see the surgeon on Wednesday about my foot/ankle injury, who will tell me if she is going to operate, after my recent ultrasound, then MRI, scans, NINETEEN months after the injury occurred :ohmy:

Ho hum

Ravids

Jun 19, 2013
Fishersgate Maritime Village
Hey guys, I am planning on doing the Brighton Marathon in 2015 and want to start training around about now, but have not got any JOGGING TRAINERS.

Do you have to go in and get tested on what "stance" you are or something?

Also, in terms of training has anyone got any nifty TIPS? (Apart from run lots and don't eat crap obviously)

Also #2, are jogging trainers absolutely vital at this stage when the most I can run really is about 3 miles if I'm lucky.

Also #3, would you recommend getting a check up at the doctors? You do hear occasionally of people just like collapsing dead and stuff when running:down:, dying is not part of my training plans...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Hey guys, I am planning on doing the Brighton Marathon in 2015 and want to start training around about now, but have not got any JOGGING TRAINERS.

Do you have to go in and get tested on what "stance" you are or something?

Also, in terms of training has anyone got any nifty TIPS? (Apart from run lots and don't eat crap obviously)

Also #2, are jogging trainers absolutely vital at this stage when the most I can run really is about 3 miles if I'm lucky.

Also #3, would you recommend getting a check up at the doctors? You do hear occasionally of people just like collapsing dead and stuff when running:down:, dying is not part of my training plans...

Wow! That's organised.

I would suggest The Jog Shop, off St James Street in Brighton. They'll find you the right shoes.

Are they vital? Yes, in my opinion. I suffered when I first started running, partly because I didn't have the right footwear. That was running similar distances to what you've described, so don't make the same mistake as me.

Good luck, and enjoy it.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Anyone out there do the Southern cross country champs at Parliament Hill yesterday? 15k of mud or muddy grass with the consistency of swiss cheese!

Saw a few Brighton and Hove and Phoenix vests out on the course. Least that's done for another year....Attempting to go for a 10 mile run shortly, not going to be nice,...

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Brighton marathon training going very well, my only danger being I tore my right ankle ligaments early November and it does get quite sore after a long run.

Managed 12 miles at 7am this morning running past Coalition night club who were just throwing out their last patrons. Ran it 1 hour 42 minutes with the final mile being my quickest in 7 minutes 45 seconds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here