Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Good luck everyone running Sunday. Hope the race goes to plan!

Happy Running. :thumbsup:

Thanks! ...and yes, good luck everyone. Had my last run yesterday, did 4 miles at race pace along Basin Road. Wasn't ideal as went arse over tit after 5 minutes, luckily no damage done (pride, or physical).
Preparing for the race now by working a night shift and then getting up tomorrow to go to that London to see my girlfriends sons band play at the islington acadamy. Should be home about 1am Sunday morning for 5 hours kip.
Textbook.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
I have been running for about two weeks now and have gotten into a sort of rhythm. I am running 5k in about 25 minutes on a reasonably flat surface. I know I am going to be much slower than most people because I have only been running for a very short amount of time, but how does my time compare to others?

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Good work! Will look out for you on day!

Gr8 to meet you after the race today chimneys. Congrats on your fantastic time.

Thanks again for your words of encouragement leading up to the race. I firmly believe without any injury I can go sub 3.45.

:thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Thanks again for your words of encouragement leading up to the race. I firmly believe without any injury I can go sub 3.45.

What time did you do?

I saw [MENTION=235]ManOnTheRun[/MENTION] and he was looking good at 24 miles.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
What time did you do?

I finally nailed the sub 4hr with 3.52. Especially pleasing since I suffered an injury on my last training run and it affected me from quite early. Thanks for your words of encouragement and dietary advice in the lead up HT.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I finally nailed the sub 4hr with 3.52. Especially pleasing since I suffered an injury on my last training run and it affected me from quite early. Thanks for your words of encouragement and dietary advice in the lead up HT.

Hey, brilliant. This is fantastic news. I'm really pleased for you. 8 minutes to spare as well. This is the first of 4 right? I had a friend crack 4 hours at the third attempt today as well. Did you find the wind a problem at all?

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Hey, brilliant. This is fantastic news. I'm really pleased for you. 8 minutes to spare as well. This is the first of 4 right? I had a friend crack 4 hours at the third attempt today as well. Did you find the wind a problem at all?

It was a bit chilly in places but the only place I struggled with it was round the basin. Think all other ailments and positive mental thinking took over. Sadly the wife has got frazzles in rather than Bobby's but hey, they'll do!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It was a bit chilly in places but the only place I struggled with it was round the basin. Think all other ailments and positive mental thinking took over. Sadly the wife has got frazzles in rather than Bobby's but hey, they'll do!

Frazzles are a worthy substitute. But, given the 8 minutes to spare you had the luxury of being able to pop into the St Aubyns newsagents and purchase some Bacon Streaks as you went past.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Frazzles are a worthy substitute. But, given the 8 minutes to spare you had the luxury of being able to pop into the St Aubyns newsagents and purchase some Bacon Streaks as you went past.

Ha ha quality post!

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
When can you enter for 2013 ? I have to crack 4hrs, i am getting faster but also getting older, time may be running out.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Thanks to all the advice over the past few weeks, especially chimneys. Those last 2 miles were like an out of body experience but absolutely chuffed to beat 4 hours.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

The wonder that is NSC Lord B! Felt like long lost friends when we met at end. Many congrats on smashing the 4 hour mark even when getting injured mile 1. When injury free, I know you can go close to, if not break, 3'30 with the form you have shown in those training runs.

Really hope the injury clears up before Sunday and you have 3 great marathons in next 3 weeks (you crazy fool!).

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Thanks to all the advice over the past few weeks, especially chimneys. Those last 2 miles were like an out of body experience but absolutely chuffed to beat 4 hours.

Epic work Richy! I hit my target of a sub 3'30 PB so am also chuffed. But not as much as the wife as I have told her thats it for marathons (and will instead concentrate on getting my half time down from here). Mind you, ask me the question in a week's time, when I can negotiate stairs without replicating a pregnant duck, and I might just be tempted to go again!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Epic work Richy! I hit my target of a sub 3'30 PB so am also chuffed. But not as much as the wife as I have told her thats it for marathons (and will instead concentrate on getting my half time down from here). Mind you, ask me the question in a week's time, when I can negotiate stairs without replicating a pregnant duck, and I might just be tempted to go again!

Well done Chimneys. Good running.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have been running for about two weeks now and have gotten into a sort of rhythm. I am running 5k in about 25 minutes on a reasonably flat surface. I know I am going to be much slower than most people because I have only been running for a very short amount of time, but how does my time compare to others?

What is your goal? If you're building up to long distances this is fine especially after only two weeks. Extrapolating out you are running a 3 1/2 hour marathon which is very respectable. You'll get fitter and stonger over time so will improve. A 50 minute 10k is not too shabby either. Dont over do it though, build up slowly.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton

Ha have to admit at mile 18 yesterday I was 100% sure was never going to got through it again but after a good nights sleep I seem to only be remembering the (many) good bits of it all. I owe a huge amount to whoever the woman was to told me to walk backwards for a minute when my knee completely locked up at mile 24, to the point where I couldn't even move it when it was completely straight. Fixed the problem slightly so that I could at least hobble/fall to the finish line but the crowd seemed to get louder every time I fell, the support was amazing.

And congratulations on beating 3:30....Think I can only dream of ever reaching those dizzy heights!

Last edited:

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove
What time did you do?

Thanks for your words of encouragement yesterday HT. Was all going very well until just after the King Alfred. Cramp in both legs ... Was a bit stop start for the last 2 miles as I tried to get shot of it ... Still managed to card 4.22, which I was pretty pleased with (12 mins quicker than last year).

What’s the secret cure for cramp ... Someone mentioned Magnesium. Any recommendations?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thanks for your words of encouragement yesterday HT. Was all going very well until just after the King Alfred. Cramp in both legs ... Was a bit stop start for the last 2 miles as I tried to get shot of it ... Still managed to card 4.22, which I was pretty pleased with (12 mins quicker than last year).

What’s the secret cure for cramp ... Someone mentioned Magnesium. Any recommendations?

Oh boy, that was just after I saw you for the 2nd time as well. Still, a great time and faster than last year.

Cramp is often down to dehydration. Maybe it was this? Maybe look at your pre-race water intake? Also, a tip I was given is to take a mouthful of water from every drink station en route even if you're seemingly not thirsty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here