Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Ran the Rome marathon yesterday. The course ran through the heart of the city statting and finishing at the coliseum. I'd read some quite negative stuff about the event but I found the whole thing really well organised, very friendly and obviously stunning scenery. Proper aid stations too about 30 metres long with a huge variety of drinks and food on offer every 5k. Support was a bit random but it started raining 3 miles in and developed into a full scale thunderstorm at mile 10, proper cats and dogs stuff which kept the crowds down. My saturated feet caused some brutal blistering which I had to deal with after and things aren't pretty down there today. Finished in 3:27:14 official time. The target was sub 3:30 so very happy and a new pb. Really looking forward to BM on Sunday where I intend to take it easy and enjoy the day.

Good man, glad you hit your target, and more importantly enjoyed the event.

Not been running myself due to a horrendous head cold. I'm hoping that it clears for the weekend as I think a bit of Parkrun tourism could be in the offing for me...

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Ran the Rome marathon yesterday. The course ran through the heart of the city statting and finishing at the coliseum. I'd read some quite negative stuff about the event but I found the whole thing really well organised, very friendly and obviously stunning scenery. Proper aid stations too about 30 metres long with a huge variety of drinks and food on offer every 5k. Support was a bit random but it started raining 3 miles in and developed into a full scale thunderstorm at mile 10, proper cats and dogs stuff which kept the crowds down. My saturated feet caused some brutal blistering which I had to deal with after and things aren't pretty down there today. Finished in 3:27:14 official time. The target was sub 3:30 so very happy and a new pb. Really looking forward to BM on Sunday where I intend to take it easy and enjoy the day.

Great stuff well done!

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Cheers guys. Can't recommend Rome highly enough if anyone is looking for a European race. Take the wife for added kudos, everyone's a winner. Rome rocks

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave

Brilliant stuff. Pizza and Peroni at the aid stations?

JDMariner

Jan 30, 2017
Good old Sussex

Great run, well done!! Race day was a bit of a drenching wasn't it, the good old British weather followed us over there for that day!! I'm very pleased though as had a great run myself and beat my 4 hour target by finishing in 3:52 so smashed it and also a new PB by just over 30 minutes! Rome conquered, now what next?! :cheers:

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Great run, well done!! Race day was a bit of a drenching wasn't it, the good old British weather followed us over there for that day!! I'm very pleased though as had a great run myself and beat my 4 hour target by finishing in 3:52 so smashed it and also a new PB by just over 30 minutes! Rome conquered, now what next?! :cheers:

Great run yourself! You took 30 minutes off your pb, that's an astonishing chunk of time.

What's next......Brighton of course. This Sunday in bright sunshine.

4 days to go, how's everyone's Maranoia. Should be kicking in now......:eek:

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Morning all. Last time I will be on here before Sunday. Good luck to all those running the Marathon or the 10k. Meeting up with some mates at 8am at th clock tower in Preston Park. Got the Maranoia big time at the moment. Sure I pulled a calf muscle walking up the stairs to my office just now! At least tonight the Maranoia will be replaced with Promotionoia for a few hours.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Good luck everyone running Sunday, its going to be a hot one!!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good luck everyone running Sunday, its going to be a hot one!!

Same thoughts and support from knocky1. Breaking my 5 year sequence this year as not running but cycling along in a minute to get the early bird entry for 2018. Won't be spectating as a beautiful day will send me on to the Downs. Good luck.
#£45Tightwad.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
10k for me on Sunday. Training sporadic due to some family stuff going on but going to aim for sub 50 which quite fast enough thank you very much. Quick trot tonight to make sure everything is in working order I think.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] s Bunny is in for 2018. Registration down at the Marathon village this year. I nearly signed up for a marketing course at the Brighton Centre. Less stressful down on the beach.
Injury update is no events entry for me this summer and a training regime of cycling, swimming and walking.

Shorehamkid

Aug 3, 2011
Can I ask the more experienced amongst you about carbo loading? This will be my 2nd marathon and last time I slammed into the wall at about 18 miles, obviously I survived to tell the tale and hung on to break 4 hours but there's no way I want to go through that again! Anyhow, I've learned from the first experience and trained harder/smarter this time round, but just conscious to get my pre-race eating correct. Done plenty of research online and had a 'practice' load a few weeks back before a long training run, but I think there is no substitute for asking people direct. I guess it's too late in the day for me to change my plans (should've posted earlier), but was just wondering how you guys approach the few days before with your eating, drinking, resting and sleeping?

Good luck to all running the 10k or the marathon.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Can I ask the more experienced amongst you about carbo loading? This will be my 2nd marathon and last time I slammed into the wall at about 18 miles, obviously I survived to tell the tale and hung on to break 4 hours but there's no way I want to go through that again! Anyhow, I've learned from the first experience and trained harder/smarter this time round, but just conscious to get my pre-race eating correct. Done plenty of research online and had a 'practice' load a few weeks back before a long training run, but I think there is no substitute for asking people direct. I guess it's too late in the day for me to change my plans (should've posted earlier), but was just wondering how you guys approach the few days before with your eating, drinking, resting and sleeping?

I am no expert, and I know that there's much debate about whether to 'carb load' or not.. but I've found that there really is no need.. not to any great extent any how's.. Eat well leading up to the race.. for me hydrate.. and not stuff yourself with any food your body isn't accustomed to.. A beer or a glass of wine the night before.. and just relax.. Everyone's different though and what works for one, may not work for another.

I suspect the reason why you hit the wall last time, was due to training, and or your body not being conditioned to the distance.. but of course it could of been due to a whole host of other reasons!!

Have a good one.

Oh yes and refer to [MENTION=21215]dazzer666[/MENTION] post #9595 for great explanation/post about carb loading.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Fairly simple for me. Absolutely no need to carb load. Your body can only store about 2 hrs worth of glycogen anyway so it doesn't matter how much you eat, you won't build up a 'supply' of that energy source. Loads of carbs will increase water retention and make you feel bloated as well. My advice would be just eat normally and more importantly make sure you're very well hydrated between now and Sunday. You'll also be burning more fat than glycogen at a 'typical' marathon effort (unless you're with the elites).

I'll have a gel every 40 mins or so to keep energy topped up but that's it. No breakfast.

Good luck to everyone running. I'm dreading the warmer temperatures as I always fail in the heat. Will be taking sCaps on the day to try to prevent cramping.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Went to see Paul (Jesus) this morning – man that guy is good! He concluded I've got a very tight SI joint (no, nor me – it's near your pelvic bone, apparently) on my right hand side – he did a bit of work and sent me away with some stretches. Feels better already.

Would thoroughly recommend him and thanks to [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] and [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] for telling me where to go, so to speak.

Good luck to all the BM runners and any others doing SDW 50 tomorrow. Just a parkrun and then a bit of off-road action early Sunday for me.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Went to see Paul (Jesus) this morning – man that guy is good! He concluded I've got a very tight SI joint (no, nor me – it's near your pelvic bone, apparently) on my right hand side – he did a bit of work and sent me away with some stretches. Feels better already.

Would thoroughly recommend him and thanks to [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] and [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] for telling me where to go, so to speak.

Good luck to all the BM runners and any others doing SDW 50 tomorrow. Just a parkrun and then a bit of off-road action early Sunday for me.

Good a single visit and back to pounding the streets. Looking good for London.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I carb loaded for 3 days prior to BM last year and didnt feel the dreaded wall but then I trained pretty clean and had a well rested week up to the day, so no idea if it really made any difference.

The main thing was probably lots of sleep and good hydration.

I also stuffed my face with sweets on the way round which I wouldn't recommend as it made me feel sick by the end. Stick to the gels.

Good luck all, aiming for 3.20, be happy with anything up to 3.25 and gutted with anything over 3.30. Although probably worth keeping expectations in check with the weather.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That's just wrong dazzer!!

If I don't have a MASSIVE bowl of muesli before a run in the morning, all I would be thinking about is food, food food and end up a quivering mess! Probably crawling for a Mc slurry or something!
I used to, but find running empty works better for me. Helps avoid RT as well.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here