Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Headed up towards Cissbury Ring to take on my love/hate hill.

The main hill soon had my (new) shoes caked in what I assume is clay and it felt like I was ice skating uphill.

add32a6e74ba3c94b2e85d7466e22a8d.jpg

I then hit the main trail that runs between Cissbury and Chanctonbury which was waterlogged. It was all I could do to stay upright on the very side of the path at walking pace.

5c7730a94aa2b3f0088d9779feef3ab6.jpg

Anyway, I clearly need some trail shoes but some that will also be OK for the mile or two of road that I have either side of the trails. Any recommendations?

I use these for trail running, had two pairs so far and never had any grip or comfort problems: http://www.startfitness.co.uk/sauco...20284-2.html?gclid=CPTtgJrRqdECFdQ_GwodQ0oI_g

The chap in RUN in Hove was telling me about a good road to trail shoe that they have in stock, not sure but I think it may also have been a Saucony. He said that they had plenty of grip but also very comfortable for road running, was meaning to pop back and try them on at some point.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've binned my Bath half plans, largely because I've signed up for the Moyleman marathon which takes place the same day. Looks tough, but finishes at Harvey's brewery :drink:

Meanwhile, 5.5 miles of hills today. Good session.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

It is.....at the pre race briefing even the Race Director described the course as 'a bit of a bstard'......nice route, but not too much in the way of on-course support so you'll need to carry water etc. Free burger and Harvey's at the end [emoji106][emoji106]

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Headed up towards Cissbury Ring to take on my love/hate hill.

The main hill soon had my (new) shoes caked in what I assume is clay and it felt like I was ice skating uphill.

add32a6e74ba3c94b2e85d7466e22a8d.jpg

Brooks Ghost?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I've binned my Bath half plans, largely because I've signed up for the Moyleman marathon which takes place the same day. Looks tough, but finishes at Harvey's brewery :drink:

Meanwhile, 5.5 miles of hills today. Good session.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

That one is on my bucket list but with only 10 weeks to go would be pushing it for me. I'll be a personal water stop en route, if you want.
Hopefully I'll be ready for the Hasting's Half on March 19th.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
It is.....at the pre race briefing even the Race Director described the course as 'a bit of a bstard'......nice route, but not too much in the way of on-course support so you'll need to carry water etc. Free burger and Harvey's at the end [emoji106][emoji106]

I spoke to someone the other day who did this last year and they told me that there was a massive hill right towards the end of the marathon and then when he got to the top thinking the worst of it was all over there was another large hill immediately afterwards, the sight of which nearly brought him to tears!

I think my next marathon will be the Steyning Stinger in March although immediately after completing the mouth to mouth I picked up chesty cough which wont budge and this coupled with a back problem has meant that I have only managed 2 runs since then.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I spoke to someone the other day who did this last year and they told me that there was a massive hill right towards the end of the marathon and then when he got to the top thinking the worst of it was all over there was another large hill immediately afterwards, the sight of which nearly brought him to tears!

I think my next marathon will be the Steyning Stinger in March although immediately after completing the mouth to mouth I picked up chesty cough which wont budge and this coupled with a back problem has meant that I have only managed 2 runs since then.
Mount Caborn....from Glynde up and over to Lewes Golf Club. It's HORRENDOUS 😂😂😂😂 A real sting in the tail right at the end of the race, but I actually found going down the other side to the town more painful. Quads were ****ed by then!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Brooks Ghost?

I've looked them up - they seem to have pretty much the same tread as my Adrenaline GTS and wouldn't cope with the thick mud and puddles any better.

Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 09.03.00.png

The Inov8 suggested by [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] look much more like the thing, although I'm not sure about the road for these. That tread looks more like a "straight onto the trail" sort of thing.

Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 09.04.07.png

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've looked them up - they seem to have pretty much the same tread as my Adrenaline GTS and wouldn't cope with the thick mud and puddles any better.

View attachment 80803

The Inov8 suggested by [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] look much more like the thing, although I'm not sure about the road for these. That tread looks more like a "straight onto the trail" sort of thing.

View attachment 80804
They're perfectly ok for shorter road sections - the rubber, particularly on the roclites, is very soft, so acts as cushioning. Two or three miles is completely fine in my experience. The terras are a lot thinner so not quite so good.

The Ghost trail soles will be pretty hopeless on the wet SDW....

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Freezing this morning. Got in a good 4.5 miles working the pace up gradually to about 8.30 miles and then a very slow cool down to get breath back in and look after my calves. Still feel like I'm in injury management mode rather than proper running yet all my old paces are coming back to me and lungs and quads are fine. Maybe just a confidence thing now.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
Freezing this morning. Got in a good 4.5 miles working the pace up gradually to about 8.30 miles and then a very slow cool down to get breath back in and look after my calves. Still feel like I'm in injury management mode rather than proper running yet all my old paces are coming back to me and lungs and quads are fine. Maybe just a confidence thing now.

You're right... it was bloody freezing this morning. I was over half way through my 3.5 mile run before I finally felt warm. Feels good to be running again though.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
That one is on my bucket list but with only 10 weeks to go would be pushing it for me. I'll be a personal water stop en route, if you want.
Hopefully I'll be ready for the Hasting's Half on March 19th.

I was torn between Moyleman and Hastings, but went for the full mara, because of the challenge and it's a new event for me. I'll look out for the Stu Station en route...

I'm fully prepared for it to be a right bugger, but that's part of the challenge. I'm sure it doesn't compare, but IOW marathon had a hill at 24, which was a bit of a bugger. And then there is Beachy...

Hope you get better soon HTP. I had a cough like that for ages, but as soon as I went to the docs and got some pills, it went away pronto. Might be worth a visit?

Mount Caborn....from Glynde up and over to Lewes Golf Club. It's HORRENDOUS �������� A real sting in the tail right at the end of the race, but I actually found going down the other side to the town more painful. Quads were ****ed by then!

Sounds like fun... I know what you mean about the quads – been there, done that.

How does the end (or even the whole thing) compare with Beachy Head, Dazzer? I know you said you're pretty much alone out there, but the course itself? Not that anything would put me off, of course!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Good to hear. I did a really good hill session yesterday and my pace is picking up again. Bootcamp – featuring a bleep test – this morning was a bit of a wake-up call, but a nice little re-introduction to that sort of workout after a few weeks off.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I was torn between Moyleman and Hastings, but went for the full mara, because of the challenge and it's a new event for me. I'll look out for the Stu Station en route...

I'm fully prepared for it to be a right bugger, but that's part of the challenge. I'm sure it doesn't compare, but IOW marathon had a hill at 24, which was a bit of a bugger. And then there is Beachy...

Hope you get better soon HTP. I had a cough like that for ages, but as soon as I went to the docs and got some pills, it went away pronto. Might be worth a visit?

Sounds like fun... I know what you mean about the quads – been there, done that.

How does the end (or even the whole thing) compare with Beachy Head, Dazzer? I know you said you're pretty much alone out there, but the course itself? Not that anything would put me off, of course!
Good question. Beachy atmosphere aside, I'd say overall hillage is about the same, but with Beachy all the real pain is in the last 6 miles. Moyleman has bigger hills, more throughout the course (eg Castle Hill after about 3 miles. Twice 😂😂). It's a fairly lonely race - think about 150 did it last year - as field will spread out. Good old-school trail running.

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012
Hi all, just a quick one. I'm looking to invest in some bluetooth headphones for my runs to and from work. Would any of you fellow runners recommend any particular models? Budget would be under £100. Cheers in advance!

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton

Thanks, yes it is a pain, I wanted to keep the momentum and fitness going but feels like I took a big step back over the last month. I don't know if its common to get ill after running a marathon, or if I am just having some bad luck, but I also had stomach problems and a bad back! Having said that the cough feels a bit better this week so hoping to get out tomorrow and see how I feel, might book a doctors appointment if I am still feeling drained and out of breath.

I would like to have done the moyley man but the dates don't suit..i train on some of the route so its quite familiar and like you say its all part of the challenge! I definitely want to do Beachy this year if my body holds up.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks, yes it is a pain, I wanted to keep the momentum and fitness going but feels like I took a big step back over the last month. I don't know if its common to get ill after running a marathon, or if I am just having some bad luck, but I also had stomach problems and a bad back! Having said that the cough feels a bit better this week so hoping to get out tomorrow and see how I feel, might book a doctors appointment if I am still feeling drained and out of breath.

I would like to have done the moyley man but the dates don't suit..i train on some of the route so its quite familiar and like you say its all part of the challenge! I definitely want to do Beachy this year if my body holds up.
Three Forts? South Downs? Very similar runs.......

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Good question. Beachy atmosphere aside, I'd say overall hillage is about the same, but with Beachy all the real pain is in the last 6 miles. Moyleman has bigger hills, more throughout the course (eg Castle Hill after about 3 miles. Twice ����). It's a fairly lonely race - think about 150 did it last year - as field will spread out. Good old-school trail running.

Sounds like IOW marathon. Long stretches of road where I was the only one on it. Great event though.

Cheers for the info – looking forward to it.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Beachy was AMAZING last year. We got lucky with the conditions, but it's the best event (not necessarily race) I've ever done I think. Atmosphere, support, chats with random strangers all the way around, views, food – it's got it all!

While I think of it, a reminder about the Weakest Link relay race down on the seafront, just along from the Marina. July, as I remember...? Great fun being part of Team NSC last year.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Three Forts? South Downs? Very similar runs.......

Yes I might do that one actually but I am also considering the weald challenge 50k ultra in May. Original plan was marathon in March to work on pacing myself a bit better and then an ultra in the summer and the Beachy Head in October.

Out of interest have you come across a marathon or ultra with lots of woodland/ forest trails? It would be nice to do an event with quite different terrain and scenery to the sussex downs.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes I might do that one actually but I am also considering the weald challenge 50k ultra in May. Original plan was marathon in March to work on pacing myself a bit better and then an ultra in the summer and the Beachy Head in October.

Out of interest have you come across a marathon or ultra with lots of woodland/ forest trails? It would be nice to do an event with quite different terrain and scenery to the sussex downs.

Most of my trail races are pretty local. Away from the South Downs but not too far, one I really like is the Farnham Pilgrim (in September) - beautiful route, brilliant organisation and cakes and a pub at the finish. Route is around Guildford and includes trails, woodland, canal path (a bit), one big hill with fantastic views at the top. Nice change of scenery from the South Downs.

The Weald 50k is a good option. My training pal did it this year, lots of Ashdown Forest included I think. It's organised by Stuart Mills (9 times Beachy Head winner so he knows what runners want). Spoke very highly of it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here