Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Hi all, just finished my 1st ever park run on Hove Prom, 21:21, so well chuffed and now of course the goal is to go sub 20. Thought the event was excellent and a real good vibe, and luckily the wind was south to north so no particularly hard stretch on the course. My question to you fellow runners, is how does it compare to Hove Park and what is your preference, obviously Hove Park is more hilly, but with the ups you get the downs, and I guess the park is more protected from the wind, just interested in your preference if you have done both. Cheers in advance.

Both the 2 you mention are relatively fast courses. In simple terms I've found the Prom quicker if it's not (too) windy and did my PB there. I did the Worthing one today which is another one where the wind plays a big part............hence a 22:22 for me (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it).

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012
Well done. There are quite a few Hove Park hard core loyalists on this thread but my own take on the comparison between the two you mention is that Hove Prom is faster if there's no wind. My PB (20:20) was there so perhaps I'm biased. But they are both very good courses. (Worthing is similar to Hove Prom but there only one turn, so in theory should be quicker.)

Interesting, whats your PB at Hove Park just out of interest? I thought the pace setters were great, the girl with the 22 on her vest was my nemesis the whole way round, I would not let her beat me (although I thought she would about half way round!)...just got to try and catch the fella in the 21 vest next time!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Interesting, whats your PB at Hove Park just out of interest? I thought the pace setters were great, the girl with the 22 on her vest was my nemesis the whole way round, I would not let her beat me (although I thought she would about half way round!)...just got to try and catch the fella in the 21 vest next time!

My Hove Park PBs are: 21:28 (60-64 cat); 20:52 (55-59 cat). The 20:20 at Hove Prom was in the 60-64 category and a very pleasant surprise as I cycled over from Worthing (I was doing a bit of duathlon training at the time and this really sharpened up my fitness.)

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Hi all, just finished my 1st ever park run on Hove Prom, 21:21, so well chuffed and now of course the goal is to go sub 20. Thought the event was excellent and a real good vibe, and luckily the wind was south to north so no particularly hard stretch on the course. My question to you fellow runners, is how does it compare to Hove Park and what is your preference, obviously Hove Park is more hilly, but with the ups you get the downs, and I guess the park is more protected from the wind, just interested in your preference if you have done both. Cheers in advance.

I think we're lucky to have so many options in such close proximity. My new local one is Preston Park which I ran today and I think it's an excellent run. Hove Prom on a calm day is fast but lots of turning and Hove Park is undulated and the wind plays less of a part there. I think it's good to mix it up although Greg Bobkin rarely strays from his beloved Hove Park. I still think he deeply regrets his fling with the younger fresher Hove Prom.

I was pleased to dip under 20 minutes by 1 second as this was the first Park Run since July 23rd. Hamstring still not 100% but it seems to be getting marginally better so I'll keep my fingers crossed and maintain my stretching and foam rolling ritual.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Up at 6am and a glorious couple of loops of Humbolthain park before a run out to the Olympiastadion and back with a bit of hill and trail work thrown in for good measure. 22 miles in 2:59 and the longest run of my marathon plan. After a year out with an Achilles issue I'm quite happy.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As someone also under the cloud of injury, I'm sorry to hear that as I know how bloody frustrating it is.

I've yet to see your man Paul about my knee, but I'll try and get that sorted next week. I went for a bike ride over the Downs yesterday and, when I came back, I thought I'd take a very short and slow plod on grass to see how my knee felt. Well within a mile I knew I should stop so I did. Really missing running right now.

Do try and see Paul. He really is the business. And good luck.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Up at 6am and a glorious couple of loops of Humbolthain park before a run out to the Olympiastadion and back with a bit of hill and trail work thrown in for good measure. 22 miles in 2:59 and the longest run of my marathon plan. After a year out with an Achilles issue I'm quite happy.

How did you clear up the Achilles probs? If you are now churning out that sort of distance in that time then you sound as though you are well and truly sorted?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How did you clear up the Achilles probs? If you are now churning out that sort of distance in that time then you sound as though you are well and truly sorted?

In a nutshell it was a (very) sore archilles, not a tear or rupture but hot, tender, shooting pains etc. I had to stop running and had a set of exercises prescribed by a physio type. I did these for months and whilst it improved it still wasn't quite perfect and certainly not able to run on. Then I met the legend that is Paul. He identified a gap in my exercises from which a specific tendon which runs across the archilles wasn't getting any attention. Loosen this tight tendon and the Achilles will be fine. A few weeks of an extra exercise he prescribed and I was up and running again.

And yes, its fully sorted now thanks. Whilst I was a little apprehensive initially I don't have any concerns now and if anything it feels stronger due to the months of exercises I did.

Whilst I think all the physios played a part in sorting my issue Paul identified something none of the previous people did.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
In a nutshell it was a (very) sore archilles, not a tear or rupture but hot, tender, shooting pains etc. I had to stop running and had a set of exercises prescribed by a physio type. I did these for months and whilst it improved it still wasn't quite perfect and certainly not able to run on. Then I met the legend that is Paul. He identified a gap in my exercises from which a specific tendon which runs across the archilles wasn't getting any attention. Loosen this tight tendon and the Achilles will be fine. A few weeks of an extra exercise he prescribed and I was up and running again.

And yes, its fully sorted now thanks. Whilst I was a little apprehensive initially I don't have any concerns now and if anything it feels stronger due to the months of exercises I did.

Whilst I think all the physios played a part in sorting my issue Paul identified something none of the previous people did.

Good news; cheers!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Firstly, well done on losing your parkrun cherry - it's my favorite thing about running. Stuck an amazing atmosphere and great support all around.
[MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] is right - I absolutely HATED Hove Prom when I ran it, partly because I love Hove Park. But then I have done 189 and have only strayed about five times (Worthing the other times).

HP is a pretty fast course and there are often loads of pacers (including 20 mins). I would definitely give it a go, but then I would say that [emoji38]

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
No running for me for quite a while.

Chris at Radius diagnosed a problem with my quadraceps tendon. Severe and reactive. I have a very small stretch to do, must go back to ice packs and must rest almost totally for a couple of days. Slight issue as I sit at the top of the WSU but, as of now, could neither manage the stairs nor sitting down for 90 minutes. Can only bend the knee 80 degrees and can't take much weight on it. Arse.
Sorry to hear that GB. Are you gonna be back by Bright10? Hope all the injured NSCers are feeling better soon.

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012
I think we're lucky to have so many options in such close proximity. My new local one is Preston Park which I ran today and I think it's an excellent run. Hove Prom on a calm day is fast but lots of turning and Hove Park is undulated and the wind plays less of a part there. I think it's good to mix it up although Greg Bobkin rarely strays from his beloved Hove Park. I still think he deeply regrets his fling with the younger fresher Hove Prom.

I was pleased to dip under 20 minutes by 1 second as this was the first Park Run since July 23rd. Hamstring still not 100% but it seems to be getting marginally better so I'll keep my fingers crossed and maintain my stretching and foam rolling ritual.

Thats a fantastic time to get under 20, definitely my goal is to see 19 against my time some day. Thanks for all the advice from everyone, really loved the experience and was a fantastic start to the day (only to be ruined by what went on at the AMEX). Also loved all the stats the site gives you after, position in age group and points etc nothing like some stats to spur you on! Will definitely mix it up but probably start with a few more along the prom, I've got a feeling that will be my PB territory. Assuming preston park is pretty hilly too? I'm going to do some research on specific training for 5k's assuming its longer runs with speed intervals? But I've got no idea really, will give that a go this morning for starters. Cheers all and happy running.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thats a fantastic time to get under 20, definitely my goal is to see 19 against my time some day. Thanks for all the advice from everyone, really loved the experience and was a fantastic start to the day (only to be ruined by what went on at the AMEX). Also loved all the stats the site gives you after, position in age group and points etc nothing like some stats to spur you on! Will definitely mix it up but probably start with a few more along the prom, I've got a feeling that will be my PB territory. Assuming preston park is pretty hilly too? I'm going to do some research on specific training for 5k's assuming its longer runs with speed intervals? But I've got no idea really, will give that a go this morning for starters. Cheers all and happy running.
Preston Park has one short, steepish uphill and a longer downhill, and long flats with a tight turn around a traffic cone. Pace-wise I reckon it's v similar to Hove Park. Hove Prom is quicker on a windless day and the turns aren't as tight as PP.

As regards specific 5k training, loads of programmes online but most will involve a couple of interval sessions a week - anything from 200m - 3k+, the shorter they are the harder you run them 😁 There will also be a tempo run (slower than 5k pace but longer) and a long slow run to build Base endurance (aerobic capacity)

It's good to work out your target pace/training zones so you get an idea of how fast you should be running various intervals. Again, there are calculators online to do this (MacMillan for example) based on your current 5k time.

Couple of sessions to try or as examples - reducing ladder :
10 min warm up jog
1600m at 5k pace, 3.5 min jog recovery
1200m 5k pace, 3 min rec
800m fast, 2.5 min rec
600m fast, 2 min rec
400m flat out, 1.5 min rec
200m flat out
10 min cool down jog

Long intervals :
1 mile easy
2 miles 5k pace
1 mile easy
2 miles 5k pace
1 mile easy

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sorry to hear that GB. Are you gonna be back by Bright10? Hope all the injured NSCers are feeling better soon.

I hope so. I had the same thing 5 years ago when I wasn't running but was playing 5 a side football regularly. I've got a new co manager at the kids' football and we're both hands on and do the whole training with the boys, including taking a side each in training matches.

I need to work with the physio and our working assumption is that it's the football my body dislikes. If I have to pick between the 2 sports I'll choose running. Watching Great North Run at the moment and it's making me want to race even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012
Preston Park has one short, steepish uphill and a longer downhill, and long flats with a tight turn around a traffic cone. Pace-wise I reckon it's v similar to Hove Park. Hove Prom is quicker on a windless day and the turns aren't as tight as PP.

As regards specific 5k training, loads of programmes online but most will involve a couple of interval sessions a week - anything from 200m - 3k+, the shorter they are the harder you run them 😁 There will also be a tempo run (slower than 5k pace but longer) and a long slow run to build Base endurance (aerobic capacity)

It's good to work out your target pace/training zones so you get an idea of how fast you should be running various intervals. Again, there are calculators online to do this (MacMillan for example) based on your current 5k time.

Couple of sessions to try or as examples - reducing ladder :
10 min warm up jog
1600m at 5k pace, 3.5 min jog recovery
1200m 5k pace, 3 min rec
800m fast, 2.5 min rec
600m fast, 2 min rec
400m flat out, 1.5 min rec
200m flat out
10 min cool down jog

Long intervals :
1 mile easy
2 miles 5k pace
1 mile easy
2 miles 5k pace
1 mile easy

Brill advice cheers Dazzer. The long intervals session sounds hard, but will no doubt have big benefits! Will practice both and see how I get on.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Brill advice cheers Dazzer. The long intervals session sounds hard, but will no doubt have big benefits! Will practice both and see how I get on.

Hard to start with, but after a number of weeks when you have built up your speed and stamina I guarantee you it will then feel damn good.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Ran Hellingly 10k today. Always enjoy this one, well organised, great route through rural countryside and usually a sell out as today. It's normally my last 10k of the year and tend to switch to longer stuff afterwards too but I do have one more to go this year. Official time was 43:43 so happy with that.

Sorry to read so many injured on here at the moment. I'm enjoying a good period injury free for now but as we all know that can change in an instant.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Ran Hellingly 10k today. Always enjoy this one, well organised, great route through rural countryside and usually a sell out as today. It's normally my last 10k of the year and tend to switch to longer stuff afterwards too but I do have one more to go this year. Official time was 43:43 so happy with that.

Sorry to read so many injured on here at the moment. I'm enjoying a good period injury free for now but as we all know that can change in an instant.

What a great day to be out competing. Well done. Is it a fast course?

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
An organised run went past my place on Shoreham Beach today. Anyone here involved & what was it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here