Page 4 of 1566 FirstFirst 123456714541045041004 ... LastLast
    Members

0 Not allowed!
    After reading about the Hove Park 5k on here a couple of weeks ago I have decided to give it a go and take up running. I have been surprised about my lack of fitness as I didnt think 2.5 times around hove park sounded that far, however, the first time i tried it i struggled to do one lap and ended up walking for a few minutes half way round.

I have just got back from a second attempt and managed to complete one lap without stopping and feel much better about myself.... I hope to be able to do the 5K in a couple of weeks but like a few on here would welcome any advice.....

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Moulding Generation Z

0 Not allowed!
      If you are a new runner, then try "Couch to 5K". http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtmlIt is a good structured programme which builds up distance and speed over 9 weeks. It also has loads of links to podcasts to help you change pace and keep you going. Only thing missing is the induction week - some people simply cannot run. If you cannot run at all, then build up distance with walking for a couple of weeks, aiming to get to the "tipping point" where you are walking as fast as you can without breaking into a jog, then start the programme. If you are going to do this in the gym, then increase the incline to 1%, otherwise the difference from gym to street running is painful!

Apart from that iTunes has loads of great running podcasts, many of them sorted by BPM and set into intervals for you. A lot of techno which is not really my thing, but the fact I don't like the music seems to keep me going!
      OTMAPP. Don't like it? **** off and die.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Dex10 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      After reading about the Hove Park 5k on here a couple of weeks ago I have decided to give it a go and take up running. I have been surprised about my lack of fitness as I didnt think 2.5 times around hove park sounded that far, however, the first time i tried it i struggled to do one lap and ended up walking for a few minutes half way round.

I have just got back from a second attempt and managed to complete one lap without stopping and feel much better about myself.... I hope to be able to do the 5K in a couple of weeks but like a few on here would welcome any advice.....
      Try and run a couple of times in the week if you can. 3 times a week is good-ish practice for a beginner. And dont get too worried about other people. Just compare yourself with yourself...and try and up your distances or improve your times every so often. Soon the 5k will be completed, and then a few weeks later it will feel straight forward. Once you start to notice improvement running becomes easier I find. And soon you'll want to test yourself at 10k. And so on. Good luck.
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."
      Flitting between the county league and mates rates at the amex!

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Dex10 View Post

i struggled with my pratice run but managed 5k pratice round hove park at 2nd attempt,last saturday was my first saturday 5k knocked a minute 24 secs off pratice time,give it a go as its a good focus for the week,go for it
      Ban single use plastics.

https://ibanplastic.com/thank-you/

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bob! View Post
      Tomorrow at 10am I start the South Downs Way Race.

103 miles starting from the bandstand at Eastbourne to the Cathedral at Winchester along the South Downs Way National Trail
      Cor blimey - running into the wind as well!

Good luck with that one, mate!

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by HampshireSeagulls View Post
      If you are a new runner, then try "Couch to 5K". http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtmlIt is a good structured programme which builds up distance and speed over 9 weeks.going!
      Seconding this, it's a great program.

0 Not allowed!
      It's all about this for me at the minute until I back to full fitness (which is getting there at last): Home - West Sussex Fun Run League
      Why DON'T YOU ALL JUST
      Forza la Viola, Forza Fiorentina!!!
      Worthing Raiders RFC!!!

0 Not allowed!
      I have to do most of my training on a treadmill as I work on a ship for 3 months at a time.
      I find that when I get a chance to run on land it's as if I haven't been training for ages. So my conclusion is, treadmills are shite! Thoughts?
      Planning on aiming for my first marathon in Brighton next year, (my 50th).
      Been a runner since I was in my late teens, love it, but never got around to attempting the big one till now.
      Tiptoe, through the North Stand,
      Wiv yer boots on......
      Moulding Generation Z

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by smudge View Post
      I have to do most of my training on a treadmill as I work on a ship for 3 months at a time.
      I find that when I get a chance to run on land it's as if I haven't been training for ages. So my conclusion is, treadmills are shite! Thoughts?
      Been a runner since I was in my late teens, love it, but never got around to attempting the big one till now.
      Yes - becuase you are maintaining place, not propelling your body weight. You need to set the incline to 1% to increase the resistance and then you will notice that there is less difference in the two training types.
      OTMAPP. Don't like it? **** off and die.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by smudge View Post
      I can transfer treadmill to road quite easily. I find I am unable to really stretch my legs on a treadmill so when I go back out on the road I'm really stretching out and balancing out the limitations of the treadmill...if you get my drift.
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."