Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Just did 8.25 miles in the rain...and felt the best I've done in ages, everything seemed to click today. Just got to manage the same distance three times over and I'm all set for April :ohmy:

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Have yet to reach a level of weight-loss or fitness to run, so am joining the thread as a walker/cyclist. But i really want to be running next year. Tomorrow I am doing a Ride or Stride sponsored event, visiting churches around the area. I aim to cover around 20 miles, and visit about 17-20 of the registered 45 churches

great stuff

we covered 31 km on our bikes, my friends daughter who is only 10 succeeded in finishing the ride, even in the pouring rain at the end...we were well pleased

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Has anyone suffered from calf strains/muscle problems.

Ive had them for a few years now, all of a sudden they just tighten up and end up in knots, painful knots. Unable to run. Ive tried all the stretching under the sun and even those ludicrous compression socks. Yesterday, bang, gone again. Tight as you like.

any suggestions good running folk?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good stuff Highway.

I have no interest in running (being a cyclist (48 miles yesterday, 28 this afternoon)) but I'm strangely drawn to this thread as it seems is should be titled:-

Official Running INJURIES Thread :lol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just been on the Hove Park 5k website, boooo, I clocked 21:59. My watch said 21:40.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Has anyone suffered from calf strains/muscle problems.

Ive had them for a few years now, all of a sudden they just tighten up and end up in knots, painful knots. Unable to run. Ive tried all the stretching under the sun and even those ludicrous compression socks. Yesterday, bang, gone again. Tight as you like.

any suggestions good running folk?

Maybe a deep tissue massage every so often. I have one every 3-4 weeks and I find it helps. I notice an immediate improvement, and it tends to hold for a few weeks and then my pins get a bit stiff again.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Maybe a deep tissue massage every so often. I have one every 3-4 weeks and I find it helps. I notice an immediate improvement, and it tends to hold for a few weeks and then my pins get a bit stiff again.

Cheers Herr, will look to have one,

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anyone got any music tips? I've been listening to Daft Punk's Alive album and the Arcade Fire long player. The latter is not the best running music though.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Glad to see a certain headband wearer's attempts to dilute this thread by starting another one on general running are failing. Keep em all here I say.

And you havent answered my question re your marathons below. Expect others to contribute to your threads whilst ignoring others. I dont know!:annoyed:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
NSC has turned into a site full of fitties or wanna be fitties & there are various threads to running.

Of course running races/events come in many forms from the 100 metre dash to marathons (26.2 miles) and beyond.

The differences between short distance running to marathons is immense, so how about a thread for marathon & ultra marathon runners (any distance beyond 26.2 miles)

Have you run a marathon?
Are you planning to run a marathon?
Have you entered a marathon?
What made you take up marathon running?
How is the training going?
What training are you doing?
Road running or cross country?
How many marathons have you run?
What is your goal?
Any diet tips?
Training programmes that you use?
Are you member of a club? If so, which one?

There are many many other areas that we can discuss on a quiet footie day.

Indeed I am planning a running event on the opening day at Falmer, for Brighton fans (well my mate & I are in), to run from the old Goldstone site, to Withdean to Falmer. Only 6 miles! Interested?

In order:
yes
yes
I will be when applications open (Boston 2011)
I was fat and unhealthy, and as I like doing active things I needed to get in shape.
Good
Running 3x8 miles and 1x12 miles per week
Mainly road
I'm going to take Boston easy and enjoy it.
I eat sensibly but nothing too drastic although curry is my secret weapon.
Runner's World have a great range of plans for all runners. I choose a time and follow it to the letter. It's not failed me yet.
No.

I must admit the idea of running to the first game at Falmer is not appealing to me. But, the idea of a properly organised Albion 10k is a good one, it would work well with the Albion in the Community scheme....but not on a match day. Maybe you should contact the club? History Man is a runner and is close to the club, maybe he can advise?

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hot Chip is a good shout, also Caribou.

Defo Hot Chip recent one. Me, and Shoreham Moonraker and a few others were praising this album's running qualities at the start of the year.

I'll investigate Caribou. Thanks. For 10ks I love It's Alive by The Ramones and Frankenchrist by The Dead Kennedys.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
I have run 3 marathons with the Amsterdam marathon coming in 4 weeks.

My times have steadily got worse as I get older and train less.

I used to love running and would run up to 35 miles a week (3 x 10km then a long sunday run) or go to the running club on a Tuesday for speed work.

Sadly now I lack motivation and enjoy wine more. My dreams of a sub 4hours are but dreams (best 4.43)

I keep booking 'races' to try to inspire me but ultimately prefer to run when I want not because I have to.

On the music front, I find I run to the beat and so often kill myself when the ipod randomly puts on a dance tune or rap track. i listen to pod casts now as I can listen to the whole thing without the missus interupting and the witty humour is a more gental pace eg the Now Show on radio 4

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I must admit the idea of running to the first game at Falmer is not appealing to me. But, the idea of a properly organised Albion 10k is a good one, it would work well with the Albion in the Community scheme....but not on a match day. Maybe you should contact the club? History Man is a runner and is close to the club, maybe he can advise?

Seconded! Hot and sweaty is no way to watch the opening game at Falmer (unless the weather dictates we are all going to be hot and sweaty), but an Albion related 10k on another day (perhaps with the finish line on the pitch, if off season and if there is a suitably wide access from the outside on to the pitch) would be great.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Blackened/falling off toe nails as a result of decent mileage. Any suggestions to prevent/repair?

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
So is anyone doing Beach Head Marathon on the 23rd October?

I am, and I've now done a couple of training runs between Eastbourne and Seaford on the course. Last Sunday I did 16 miles from Eastbourne, onto Jevington, Alfriston finishing up in Seaford.

Was tough as I expected, but quite enjoyed it, the views were fantastic.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here