Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Good advice. Couple of years ago I ran London after doing Brighton the week before, deliberately avoiding looking at my watch and aiming for around 4 hrs. Saw a pacer up ahead just after half way, so caught the group up....turned out it was the 3.30 group. Completely died on my arse 30 mins later:-D

Similar experience to me in Brighton 2013. I had been running at around 3:15 pace during training, so decided to go for it. I was quite far back in the pen and absolutely pegged it around Preston Park. When I got back around to Preston Road, I saw the pacer up ahead and sprinted even more to catch up. I was up at Ovingdean before I realised it was the 3:00 pacer. :facepalm: (Shortsighted.)

The 3:15 pacer overtook me at mile 21 as I was crawling the home straight. Finished in 3:24. :(

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
A sudden improvement last night when my intended 6 mile run turned into a 9 miler. every mile was slow but within 30 seconds of one another (and I wasn't listening to a pacer or looking at my time, until I finished my run). Hopefully that's a good sign that I've "found" my pace.....even if its dead slow.

First time I've not stopped or been in actual agony.

Last mile is when the legs cramped up. Thanks all for the great advice recently. Really helped.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Can someone clarify for me, on the half marathon, are there several pace runners in each "pen".

I'm in the 2.15-2.30 pen, so would their be a 2 hour pace runner in there or only a 2.15 and 2.30 chap?

Sorry for the INANE questions!

Hello mate - I think I'll be in that pen for Brighton half. I recently got a PB of 2-16 in the Poppy half although my prep for this is currently awful (2 x 5k runs 3-4 weeks ago and one 10k run on Saturday - need to do 2 or 3 more runs before the 28th to get through!) - I imagine I'll be running in a blue Albion training top, so if you see me at any point say hi :)

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012
Quick question! Due to run both Brighton and London this year. Have left it late with training (as it was last minute decision for charity that has become important to us), but have been a regular short distance runner for 20 years, done 3 marathons before around 4 hour mark. Currently up to 11 miles, but had a bug for about a week, so haven't run since last weds. Due to go skiing for 6 days tomorrow so won't get to run again until weds next week. Still not feeling 100% but feel i must get a run in today. Any ideas on suggested distance? I was thinking a slow and steady 13-15 miler any thoughts very welcome.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
2 days, and 2 miles.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Quick question! Due to run both Brighton and London this year. Have left it late with training (as it was last minute decision for charity that has become important to us), but have been a regular short distance runner for 20 years, done 3 marathons before around 4 hour mark. Currently up to 11 miles, but had a bug for about a week, so haven't run since last weds. Due to go skiing for 6 days tomorrow so won't get to run again until weds next week. Still not feeling 100% but feel i must get a run in today. Any ideas on suggested distance? I was thinking a slow and steady 13-15 miler any thoughts very welcome.

13ish but take it slowly....?

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Forgive me, i have(will pos sin) sinned.

I've signed up to for the Croydon 30 miler in July. Not sure why i did that, but I promise to wash my Cascadia's, or burn them before re entering the county. :eek:)

Sorry.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Forgive me, i have(will pos sin) sinned.

I've signed up to for the Croydon 30 miler in July. Not sure why i did that, but I promise to wash my Cascadia's, or burn them before re entering the county. :eek:)

Sorry.

[video]https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=croydon+burning+riots&client=safari&channel=ipad_bm&prmd=niv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiJgpHbi__KAhXGOxQKH dJcCkAQ_AUICCgC&biw=1024&bih=671#imgrc=jvMhIbYC4Jr4SM%3 A[/video]

Good pictures of previous years on link. Looks well organised, few runners following a marshal on a bike. Might be a good idea to take extra water. You won't have to bother burning your Cascadias.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Harrumph! Think I might have a mild dose of insertional Achilles tendonitis, probably from that period a few weeks back when I nearly ran 30 miles in a week whilst also not stretching properly.

Anyway, I think I've caught it quick enough to make sure I don't break myself before the Surrey Half, and was fortunate to be ill since that week meaning I've not been out as much as I'd like. I'm going to reduce the frequency and intensity of my runs (out once this week, won't go again 'til next week), and have discovered the delights of the flat-ground eccentric heel drop.

Anybody had any experience of managing anything similar?

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
Anyone had any success with creatine monohydrate and running? I used it for rowing a few years back and found it very effective.

Can't see why it wouldn't be with running also?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Harrumph! Think I might have a mild dose of insertional Achilles tendonitis, probably from that period a few weeks back when I nearly ran 30 miles in a week whilst also not stretching properly.

Anyway, I think I've caught it quick enough to make sure I don't break myself before the Surrey Half, and was fortunate to be ill since that week meaning I've not been out as much as I'd like. I'm going to reduce the frequency and intensity of my runs (out once this week, won't go again 'til next week), and have discovered the delights of the flat-ground eccentric heel drop.

Anybody had any experience of managing anything similar?

I would go for a sports injury massage. Otherwise A hard roller on the calves, or is it calfs for legs. You need to sort it out, or be assessed, before running on it. Could lead to months off otherwise. Good luck

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Got the Hastings Half Race number yesterday. 950th Anniversary of The French victory.

20th March. Anyone else doing it? I need to know if there will be some competitive edge or not. If yes the BM training plan will be slightly adjusted.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I would go for a sports injury massage. Otherwise A hard roller on the calves, or is it calfs for legs. You need to sort it out, or be assessed, before running on it. Could lead to months off otherwise. Good luck

Thanks, I don't think a massage is quite called for as the rest and eccentric heel drops seem to be clearing it up nicely - I'm also bandaging the ankle up at night, which helps. I should probably invest in a foam roller though if anyone has any recommendations?

To be fair I've had issues with the same ankle since I injured it playing football twenty years ago, and the discomfort level I'm experiencing now barely registers compared with what I used to encounter before I took up running a few years ago and strengthened the joint as a result. I'm just conscious that I want to be fit for the Surrey Half, as I ran it whilst unwell last year and want to do it justice (and have a crack at 1:30:00) this time round.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Got the Hastings Half Race number yesterday. 950th Anniversary of The French victory.

20th March. Anyone else doing it? I need to know if there will be some competitive edge or not. If yes the BM training plan will be slightly adjusted.

Not for me this year but it's definitely in the diary for next year. A number of friends have said what good fun it is but I don't want to bugger up my knee on the hills this time round :)

Lovely 4.5 mile jog in to a glorious sunrise this morning (I actually stopped to take a picture, below) with 10 pickups. Great fun and two more surprised "victims"!

sunrise.jpg

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Not for me this year but it's definitely in the diary for next year. A number of friends have said what good fun it is but I don't want to bugger up my knee on the hills this time round :)

Lovely 4.5 mile jog in to a glorious sunrise this morning (I actually stopped to take a picture, below) with 10 pickups. Great fun and two more surprised "victims"!

View attachment 72482

Great sunrise. Will be out there once my porridge, coconut fat, banana, linseeds, dates and walnuts has gone down. Favourite session 5x 800m at 5k pace with long warm up and cool down.

Hastings was where I had to get the knee stretch from Jesus. It's not the going up but coming down for 6 miles. It's like a dream where you fly through the streets, until your knee seizes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here