Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Enjoyed today. First organised half marathon - hit 1:37 so pretty happy with that. Was aiming for 1:40 but decided I could go quicker than the pacesetter when I caught him up. #Zamora

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
First run for almost a year tomorrow morning morning. Going to do a gentle 1 mile.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Ha, I'll never work for MI6. It's funny trying to figure out who is who on strava, I reckon I've got about 30% you being one. The real question is who is sim gull AKA sim gull
[MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] has the best picture. Looks like he is puffing on a giant pipe whilst considering where to run next.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Some great runs there well done all those at Worthing. Sorry to miss it.

I managed about 20miles today with lots of massive hills. But I was on skis so I don't suppose it counts!

I'm going to have to go some at Tunbridge Wells next week!

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
Some great runs there well done all those at Worthing. Sorry to miss it.

I managed about 20miles today with lots of massive hills. But I was on skis so I don't suppose it counts!

I'm going to have to go some at Tunbridge Wells next week!

I'm doing Tunbridge Wells next week

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
[MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] has the best picture. Looks like he is puffing on a giant pipe whilst considering where to run next.

5065e4722fe7645aecdc417a8e5ca029.jpg

Pipe size increases with age

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Enjoyed today. First organised half marathon - hit 1:37 so pretty happy with that. Was aiming for 1:40 but decided I could go quicker than the pacesetter when I caught him up. #Zamora

Keep an eye on this bloke chaps. Doesn't post much but he's quick :thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Well, I'm finally back in the game.

Abandoned the car when out on Saturday night which forced me to take a short hungover run to collect it on Sunday morning - my first run with my new Garmin FR 235. I also had Strava running on my phone directly so I could compare. At the end of my run they were showing almost identical results, so I deleted the phone run and I'll rely on the watch from now on. I really like having the watch so I can see immediately what pace I'm doing and don't have to wait for Strava's half-mile verbal updates. The heart-rate stuff (the 235 has one built in - no need for a strap) is interesting but I'm not sure I'll pay too much attention to it. I know, in time, I'll use the alerts to keep me within whatever pace targets I'm setting for myself. The watch told me I needed 29 hours recovery.

I then did the Worthing kids' mini-(half)-mile with my son in the afternoon.

This afternoon I did a hilly 5-and-a-bit km. I was slow and lumbering. It was hard. It was also cold. But I loved being out properly again.

I have so much ground to make up. In the last four months, I've run twice for a total of 8.5 miles. In essence I'm starting again - big, fat and slow. I almost wish my times from last year didn't exist as they feel out of reach, although after my improvement from nothing last year, I know that's not the case. Maybe my target should be to keep ahead of my progress at the same time last year, although I did start a bit earlier in late January.

At the end of today's run, the watch said I'd need 3.5 days to recover, which take me to Friday morning - I intend to get out well ahead of that!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well, I'm finally back in the game.

Abandoned the car when out on Saturday night which forced me to take a short hungover run to collect it on Sunday morning - my first run with my new Garmin FR 235. I also had Strava running on my phone directly so I could compare. At the end of my run they were showing almost identical results, so I deleted the phone run and I'll rely on the watch from now on. I really like having the watch so I can see immediately what pace I'm doing and don't have to wait for Strava's half-mile verbal updates. The heart-rate stuff (the 235 has one built in - no need for a strap) is interesting but I'm not sure I'll pay too much attention to it. I know, in time, I'll use the alerts to keep me within whatever pace targets I'm setting for myself. The watch told me I needed 29 hours recovery.

I then did the Worthing kids' mini-(half)-mile with my son in the afternoon.

This afternoon I did a hilly 5-and-a-bit km. I was slow and lumbering. It was hard. It was also cold. But I loved being out properly again.

I have so much ground to make up. In the last four months, I've run twice for a total of 8.5 miles. In essence I'm starting again - big, fat and slow. I almost wish my times from last year didn't exist as they feel out of reach, although after my improvement from nothing last year, I know that's not the case. Maybe my target should be to keep ahead of my progress at the same time last year, although I did start a bit earlier in late January.

At the end of today's run, the watch said I'd need 3.5 days to recover, which take me to Friday morning - I intend to get out well ahead of that!

Welcome back [emoji3]

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Eat. Sleepy Zzzzzzzzzz. Eat. Zzzzzzzzzzz. Eat. Zzzzzzzz. Drink. Eat. Drink. Eat. Drink. Zzzzzzzzzzzz for 10 hours. Wake up. Eat. 2 hour walk on Downs. Eat. Zzzzzzzzzz. Eat. Sleepy afternoon nap zzzzzzzzzzz. Wake eat. Still sleepy. Ready to eat then bed.

Great feeling as if you have smoked a trumpet sized spliff from exercise. Dopey and hungry. Hopefully the massive Leeds will wake me later on.......zzzzzzzz.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Just noticed Barns Green has gone on sale. They are hosting their usual half marathon plus also a 10k for the first time too.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Just listened to a couple of interesting radio programs called Eating to run on the bbc iplayer. Well worth a listen, only 30 mins each episode. They go into how diet affects running performance and looked into the different fueling technics of Kenyan, Japanese and South American runners.. Fascinating stuff.

Have listened to one of those and was fascinated by the myths of slow release foods and carb loading etc. Really interesting stuff.

If I had a choice I'd greatly prefer the Dean Karnazas way. Salmon and brocolli for pretty much every dinner and no refined carbs or sugar sounds like hard work but the guy can eat fully loaded pizzas, burritos and chocolate covered espresso beans during a race while not dropping pace :drool:

His book is my mantra when I don't think I can do that extra mile...

First run for almost a year tomorrow morning morning. Going to do a gentle 1 mile.

Good going. How did you get on?

As a relative JCL to this thread am guessing the NSC strava population is purely for Brighton based peeps?

I'm in Harrow and finding it tough to motivate with little or no direct competition etc.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Have listened to one of those and was fascinated by the myths of slow release foods and carb loading etc. Really interesting stuff.

His book is my mantra when I don't think I can do that extra mile...

Good going. How did you get on?

As a relative JCL to this thread am guessing the NSC strava population is purely for Brighton based peeps?

I'm in Harrow and finding it tough to motivate with little or no direct competition etc.

Strava group is for any Brighton fan and runner. El Pres is on and he's in Manchester. [MENTION=88]Bob![/MENTION] isn't Brighton based either afaik. Compete with locals on your local sections but check your pace, distance and climbing against us. All abilities on there, :thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here