Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I have to do most of my training on a treadmill as I work on a ship for 3 months at a time.
I find that when I get a chance to run on land it's as if I haven't been training for ages. So my conclusion is, treadmills are shite! Thoughts?
Planning on aiming for my first marathon in Brighton next year, (my 50th).
Been a runner since I was in my late teens, love it, but never got around to attempting the big one till now.

Yes - becuase you are maintaining place, not propelling your body weight. You need to set the incline to 1% to increase the resistance and then you will notice that there is less difference in the two training types.
Hampshire is right, but it's arguable whether 1% even does enough.

Put it this way: I went through a summer a decade ago and clocked 10k on a treadmill in 36:07. The first time I ran 10k on a track (about a month after that treadmill run) I did it in over 38 mins! There is a massive difference in treadmill and track running.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Hampshire is right, but it's arguable whether 1% even does enough.

Put it this way: I went through a summer a decade ago and clocked 10k on a treadmill in 36:07. The first time I ran 10k on a track (about a month after that treadmill run) I did it in over 38 mins! There is a massive difference in treadmill and track running.

And very few people do track running! There is an even bigger difference between treadmill and road/off road running (guess you would have been closer to 40 mins on your scenario on the more normal undulating road/off road 10k)!!

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
been ticking over with a weekly run or two since the marathon but I've decided now's the time to step up my training again and start running 3/4 times a week again.

I'll see anyone whose going at the hove park run tomorrow, I'll prob have my long sleeved underlayer and the SKINT albion top on, come say hi!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
And very few people do track running! There is an even bigger difference between treadmill and road/off road running (guess you would have been closer to 40 mins on your scenario on the more normal undulating road/off road 10k)!!
Indeed! Oddly enough, last time I ran 10k on a track was last November and I ran it in just under 40 mins.

Times when road/off-road running are massively different from track running in my experience. Even my training runs along the Thames (very flat) are significantly slower than my track experience.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Have yet to reach a level of weight-loss or fitness to run, so am joining the thread as a walker/cyclist. But i really want to be running next year. Tomorrow I am doing a Ride or Stride sponsored event, visiting churches around the area. I aim to cover around 20 miles, and visit about 17-20 of the registered 45 churches

Have yet to reach a level of weight-loss or fitness to run, so am joining the thread as a walker/cyclist. But i really want to be running next year. Tomorrow I am doing a Ride or Stride sponsored event, visiting churches around the area. I aim to cover around 20 miles, and visit about 17-20 of the registered 45 churches

good on ya GP:thumbsup:90 minutes to go before my 2nd hove park 5k:ohmy:

Running my 10th marathon in 2010 tomorrow at Denbies vineyard, Dorking.
Will be 36th marathon.
Still a while to go to reach my goal of 100

big regret not ever running marathon hit 18 miles in training but foot injury stopped only marathon entry:facepalm: that was a few years ago, a while back struggled keeping up with the inlaws walking round wakehurst place:eek: hence the slow but sure progress with the hove park 5k:clap2:
GOOD LUCK TOMORROW:bowdown:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I had 21:40 on my watch. In her second run, the Frau made it round without stopping for the first time. I'm pleased for her, and we rewarded ourselves with bacon sandwiches and tea.

Up the Hove, see you at Withers. I'm feeling confident.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
I had 21:40 on my watch. In her second run, the Frau made it round without stopping for the first time. I'm pleased for her, and we rewarded ourselves with bacon sandwiches and tea.

Up the Hove, see you at Withers. I'm feeling confident.

:thumbsup: and rewarded by the Albion's performance.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Has anyone had their Hove Park 5k time yet?

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Running my 10th marathon in 2010 tomorrow at Denbies vineyard, Dorking.
Will be 36th marathon.
Still a while to go to reach my goal of 100

Respect!

Out of interest, what sort of times are you generally doing, and do they vary wildly depending upon the particular marathon?

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Indeed! Oddly enough, last time I ran 10k on a track was last November and I ran it in just under 40 mins.

Times when road/off-road running are massively different from track running in my experience. Even my training runs along the Thames (very flat) are significantly slower than my track experience.

There is a track at a local school to me. Tempted to give it a go as currently in decent shape. Road pb is 44.25 (Brookes Brighton 10k last October) and reckon in better shape now, so will target a 41/42 min track pb.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've just signed up for the British Heart Foundation midnight half-marathon on Saturday Oct 30th. It coincides with the 'White Night' festival, and is partially off-road apparently. Only 300 places. Check their website for details.

PutYourHandsUp...

Jun 6, 2009
Just signed up for next Septembers Para10... cant wait for this... hopeing to do it with the 35lb bergen.. fingers crossed!
Theres also the 'Tough Guy' challenge i want to do.. looks awesome! anyone done this yet?! x

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here