Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I could do with a bit of advice. I'm a couple of weeks into my training plan for Brighton marathon.
I've been reading about experimenting with energy gels bars prior to the race. I've used the SIS gels already but wasn't too keen on the texture.
Anyone got any ideas on other brands and where to get them?
Try out loads.....I kept off gels for a couple of years as I focused on ultras but have gone back to them in the last few months for speed endurance training and marathons (burning carbs at a slightly faster pace)

I can't get on at all with SiS. They are isotonic so quickly absorbed and can be taken without water which is good, but as a result they are lower in energy. For me, though it's the high fructose content - causes almost immediate stomach cramps. After lots of experimenting I now use Gu - no fructose, high energy but thick so must be taken with water.

As has been said you may be OK with jelly beans/babies but could also try chocolate, flapjacks, shotbloks, any of the other gels on the market (torq, lucozade, Tailwind etc).

Main thing without doubt is to try various things out to see what works and what doesn't, and how much you need - that's what your training runs are for. I can do a marathon on empty, but I know a guy that has a gel every 20 mins (he's a much better runner than me). You may also want to think about electrolyte replacement as well, either capsules (SCap or Endurolite) or dissolvable tablets you lob in your water bottle (Nuun for example).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So, it's the morning after.

I parked up the hill opposite the marina and then jogged to the King Alfred and back.

It was SLOW (I'm talking 10 min miles) but I'm delighted to say I didn't stop jogging. My worry was the cold would tighten my chest (mild asthma) but fitness and breathing was fine.

My hips however. Oh my word. 1 mile from my car I was in actual agony. Both hims felt like they were grinding and today I can barely walk.

Still, a good start, 7.5miles and I know that fitness isn't the issue but physical pain in joints. Also BOREDOM. God I was bored.
Bloody good effort considering, but doubt any of us are surprised it hurts! You're not conditioned to be doing it, hence the need for a more gradual build up really.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Gels seem to be an entirely personal thing. I wouldn't be able to take the ones with caffeine as one strong coffee normally sends me straight to the loo for a clearout. High fives made me feel sick. Shotbloks were ok until I realised how many I'd have to eat, then not so. Jelly babies don't seem to give me any energy. SIS Orange - generally not liked so far - I can down like water and they speed me up. I'd seriously recommend experimenting right now to find the one - if any - that suits you. SIS are the ones the Albion use btw.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
lots of good advice on here about gels, shots, etc. Regular sips of water/isotonic drink every mile is a must on a marathon

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Gels seem to be an entirely personal thing. I wouldn't be able to take the ones with caffeine as one strong coffee normally sends me straight to the loo for a clearout. High fives made me feel sick. Shotbloks were ok until I realised how many I'd have to eat, then not so. Jelly babies don't seem to give me any energy. SIS Orange - generally not liked so far - I can down like water and they speed me up. I'd seriously recommend experimenting right now to find the one - if any - that suits you. SIS are the ones the Albion use btw.

Forgot High5.......same for me. Another fructose-based thing. Salted caramel Gu are LUSH.....and the poncey footballers only run about 10-12k.......

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
Thanks for the help regarding gels/ jelly babies, I've got done experimenting to do over the next couple of months.
I did my 1st park run of the year this morning in 21:09.
Looking back through my results I did my first one in 26:51 in February last year.
So I'm well pleased with the improvement, we will see what this year holds, Hopefully a sub 20.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hove Parkrun today had a record 583 runners. That is an impressive turnout.
From my marshalling point, next to the GOLDSTONE, I was unfortunate to miss Simgull take dazzer6666 on the last lap. That was one of my aims for 2016. Regardless of coming back from injury or wine consumption. It is the winning that counts.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Thanks for the help regarding gels/ jelly babies, I've got done experimenting to do over the next couple of months.
Looking back through my results I did my first one in 26:51 in February last year.
So I'm well pleased with the improvement, we will see what this year holds, Hopefully a sub 20.

That is an excellent improvement. What is the Hastings run like? Flat? How many laps?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Just cyber snooped you and found out your pb was 20:24 last year. Mine was 20:23. Will have to race a Parkrun together a few months after the marathon and try and take each under 20 for 2016.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
From my marshalling point, next to the GOLDSTONE, I was unfortunate to miss Simgull take dazzer6666 on the last lap. That was one of my aims for 2016. Regardless of coming back from injury or wine consumption. It is the winning that counts.

To be fair he had stopped at the time due to a stitch!

Was certainly crowded this morning - be interesting to see the grand total accross the three B&H Parkruns.

Roll on Park run 100 next Saturday!!

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
Just cyber snooped you and found out your pb was 20:24 last year. Mine was 20:23. Will have to race a Parkrun together a few months after the marathon and try and take each under 20 for 2016.

Where you find that? As far as I'm aware my best time was 21:14, but I'm not great with technology so could be hidden somewhere.
As for a park run I'd love to try to get to a NSC race, but I always seem to be working when there on. Hopefully this year.
cfe8bc4ad4cda4105a94321d7eb89b64.jpg

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
From my marshalling point, next to the GOLDSTONE, I was unfortunate to miss Simgull take dazzer6666 on the last lap. That was one of my aims for 2016.

Vaguely annoying trying to get past so many people. If you're a grumpy little fart. My coach, who is 25 years older than me, finished exactly a minute ahead of me today. Also (more) depressed (than usual) to learn that once you hit 35 you're a Veteran.

Ps large thanks for marshalling

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Where you find that? As far as I'm aware my best time was 21:14, but I'm not great with technology so could be hidden somewhere.
As for a park run I'd love to try to get to a NSC race, but I always seem to be working when there on. Hopefully this year.
cfe8bc4ad4cda4105a94321d7eb89b64.jpg

My cyber snooping failed. Someone finished the same time as you and I snooped them by mistake! Hope to see you sometime this year in Hove.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Great marshalling [emoji3]
[MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] flew past me on the top straight, I was dying on my arse at that point unfortunately, you would have done me as well. Few weeks of poor training due to injury and too much good food and drink have taken their toll. Lots of work to do but time today was about where I thought I'd be based on other recent runs.

We'll have a go when you're injury is cleared [emoji3]

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
First time at hove park, fair to say it was quite busy! 19 minutes and change which is alright seeing as I haven't done one since November and includes a nightmare start

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Some good running (and marshalling!) from NSCers today then; the standard appears to be getting higher.

My own effort at Bognor was 21:52 - but on that course and with a field of under 200 (and that boosted by some refugees from the cancelled Chichester PR) still enough for a 13th place and an improbable 3rd on Age Grading. With the 1st place going to someone not far short of 20:00, NSC trophy hunters might take note!

However should 500 runners ever descend on Bognor it would be simply impossible to run it .

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Wow! 493 at Preston Park and 120 on the Prom. That's nearly 1200 across the three. Better get Bevendean up and running soon!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here