Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
[MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] is the new saviour! Rejoice. Saw Jesus today and you are spot on. Soleus. 14 days recovery but already on day 8. Have an exercise to do in a few days, says it will be sore tomorrow. as Dr. Dazzer says it is hard to get to and there is a slight chance there is more damage behind the calf but have to wait a week to find out. Fingers crossed. Thanks Dazzer I would have tried to run through it. Good old NSC runners helping out.
Will be getting the Cannondale road bike out the loft to get some miles in to lose a couple of lbs and not increase on todays lifetime weight Pb.
Now to email Parkrun to volunteer for the next 2 runs.

Good news. What height are you? I weigh in at about 10s 3lbs but at 5 foot 6 feel that I should be around 9s 12lb.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So today is my "first" day of training for the Brighton half, my first ever run of any type.

I'm sure everyone will say this is idiotic for someone who doesn't run but I'm aiming for 7.5miles tonight :lolol: :lolol:

Parking at the marina and running to the King Alfred and back. All my new gear has turned up so im in full-kit wanker mode.

Weirdly, the idea of going for a big run excites me. The idea of doing a small run doesn't inspire.

I'm sure i'll have to stop (a lot) but quite keen to see how far I get before doing so. I'll let you know how it went so you can all laugh at my naivity!!!!

If you hear of a 29 year old found by the Brighton eye, then it's been nice knowing you all.

Are you saying you've never run before ? If so, 7.5 miles is, er, idiotic...........??? If you're going to do that, at least run/walk rather than run all the way (2mins/2mins or similar). Your chances of getting to even the start line of the half kicking training off like this are pretty limited I'd say (sorry to be negative, but just read through all the injuries on this thread for starters)

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Are you saying you've never run before ? If so, 7.5 miles is, er, idiotic...........??? If you're going to do that, at least run/walk rather than run all the way (2mins/2mins or similar). Your chances of getting to even the start line of the half kicking training off like this are pretty limited I'd say (sorry to be negative, but just read through all the injuries on this thread for starters)

I've "run" in terms of I play football 3 times a week :lolol:

Don't worry. I've got this*

*Or I don't.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
So today is my "first" day of training for the Brighton half, my first ever run of any type.

I'm sure everyone will say this is idiotic for someone who doesn't run but I'm aiming for 7.5miles tonight :lolol: :lolol:

Parking at the marina and running to the King Alfred and back. All my new gear has turned up so im in full-kit wanker mode.

Weirdly, the idea of going for a big run excites me. The idea of doing a small run doesn't inspire.

I'm sure i'll have to stop (a lot) but quite keen to see how far I get before doing so. I'll let you know how it went so you can all laugh at my naivity!!!!

If you hear of a 29 year old found by the Brighton eye, then it's been nice knowing you all.

I would recommend running only to the Eyesore360. This would be 5 miles return. Once back at the car , if you feel up to it you can do a mile or two cool down. Then if you break down after 4 miles you will be near your car rather than 3 1/2 miles from your car.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good news. What height are you? I weigh in at about 10s 3lbs but at 5 foot 6 feel that I should be around 9s 12lb.

I am 5' 9" and 11s 10lbs. Usually 11s 3lbs by marathon starting day. A peak weight for me is 10s 10lbs to 10s 7lbs but haven't worked to that for 5 years.

Now if we forget Age Grading and do a Weight Grading (weight/time ratio) we would so far have:
Greg Bobkin winning with a very fast 5k to current 15s.
Dazzer 6666 in second 12s8lbs + Christmas and a sub 20 5k
Then me at 11s 10lbs followed by GNT at a 10s 3lbs.

Imagine handicap racing with weights to even us out..........

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I have no idea about body fat (I put 50%), and that calculator reckons my ideal racing weight is 113lbs – EIGHT stone! :lol:

Did you change the age scale? I got a stone less at first calculating as a 20 year old.
Having seen you, I must say you would be an exception to the calculation. Without meaning to be rude :) you are built like an ox rather than having 15s of fat. Your bones alone probably weigh more than my entire body.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/your-fastest-weight Is an interesting article.
I used the calculator they use http://racingweight.com/rwe/#/
This suggested I can lose 16lbs. No way would I want to go there but at a current 11 stone 5lbs see a summer target around 10 3/4 stone.

Interesting. That calculator reckons my ideal racing weight is 10 stone 11lbs, which isn't as light as I thought only 8lbs lighter than when I ran at Dunsfold.

I can lose 11lbs! :D

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I am 5' 9" and 11s 10lbs. Usually 11s 3lbs by marathon starting day. A peak weight for me is 10s 10lbs to 10s 7lbs but haven't worked to that for 5 years.

Now if we forget Age Grading and do a Weight Grading (weight/time ratio) we would so far have:

I'll stick to hiding behind the age-grading protective barrier! But I'm really impressed by the times of some of our heavier brethren. The heaviest I've been is 11st 4lbs and I felt like Mr Blobby's fatter brother.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Went out for my usual 5k but something was amiss; I was short of breath the whole time and at one point had a sharp pain in what felt like my left lung that I guess must be muscular. After stopping and starting I ran it off eventually but never really got going. One of those days I guess ???

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

I'm currently weighing in at 13 stone 5 (186lbs) the calculator would like me to drop 13lbs to reach ideal running weight which would be 12 stone 6 which I think would be too much at 6 foot 4.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Went out for my usual 5k but something was amiss; I was short of breath the whole time and at one point had a sharp pain in what felt like my left lung that I guess must be muscular. After stopping and starting I ran it off eventually but never really got going. One of those days I guess ???

I wouldn't dwell on it, almost certainly nothing and as you say one of those days. Stitch perhaps ?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm currently weighing in at 13 stone 5 (186lbs) the calculator would like me to drop 13lbs to reach ideal running weight which would be 12 stone 6 which I think would be too much at 6 foot 4.

Another big frame and on top of your running. We know more about ourselves than a calculator. I know I can lose 10lbs just from the belly.
It's early days for my WG race percentage app. and I think that you are probably beating Bobkin with your impressive race times at 13s 5lbs. Only when we carry weights to all run at 15s will we know the true league positions.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I have no idea about body fat (I put 50%), and that calculator reckons my ideal racing weight is 113lbs – EIGHT stone! :lol:

50% ??! Even after Christmas I'm not at that..........if you're skinny it'll be 10% ish. Mine is about 18% I think.

Sorry I didn't answer. The calculator gives 10s 8lbs for me.

God knows what my body fat % is but I went for 20%. Using that the calculator reckons 155 pounds or just over 11 stone. I'm 6ft tall and have never been under 12 stone in my adult life. As I'm currently 13 stone then 12 splits the difference also so that's something to aim for. I'll have to stop devouring the entire contents of the fridge after every run though. I may have given up booze but with 29 miles in the tank since Sunday I can't stop ruddy eating.

Where does a 23.27 5k by a 13 stone bloke with a newly found cheese addiction sit in the NSC weight grading?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here