Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
You made it back then ?

It was touch and go but three laps of Harrow hill and 6 miles later I'm alive. Felt good.

This could be a repeat of the "I am about to eat chicken 5 days past it's sell by date" thread. Will we hear from bigtomfu again.

Alas sadly yes.

I did once eat scallops three days past their sell by date and nearly didn't survive but that's another story...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Time pressures meant only a tiddler for me this morning, but there *were* some hills. I also managed to dodge the rain too, which was a bonus. Mrs B was off walking straight after I got back, and while I was back dozing in bed, she had to endure it chucking it down.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1004071415

In terms of post-Christmas runs, I've not done a great deal of distance – but I need to sort that pronto. Might try and squeeze a run in Thursday morning, or else it'll be an early start on Sunday...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Chomping at the bit here. Calf has fully relaxed from roller work and stretches. Tempted to run but will NOT. Have tried running on the spot and after 10 steps a horizontal line of pain begins at lower end of calf. Have stopped stretching, in case I'm making it worse, and await the verdict from Jesus on Thursday.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I was given some Bluetooth earphones and used a VOUCHER to buy all the wintery running gear.

I now have NO excuse to start my "training" for the Brighton Half marathon......apart from "I don't want to" and "I still don't like running".

Starting to panic now.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I was given some Bluetooth earphones and used a VOUCHER to buy all the wintery running gear.

I now have NO excuse to start my "training" for the Brighton Half marathon......apart from "I don't want to" and "I still don't like running".

Starting to panic now.
Just get on with it. First 5-10 minutes will be horrible (that never changes) but it'll get better :-D

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Chomping at the bit here. Calf has fully relaxed from roller work and stretches. Tempted to run but will NOT. Have tried running on the spot and after 10 steps a horizontal line of pain begins at lower end of calf. Have stopped stretching, in case I'm making it worse, and await the verdict from Jesus on Thursday.
Still sounds like your soleus.....

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Anyone got any recommendations for headphones? Looking to spend about 25/30 quid maximum.

I don't wear them myself anymore as most events don't let you wear them, so it is better to train without 'em and enjoy the sounds of the world.

... but when I did wear them I preferred ones that clip around the ear, as other types just fell out after a while!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Tomorrow morning - weather and fitness permitting - I shall be having stab at my 5k PB WITHIN a 7 (seven) mile run. Apparently this is re-baselining my pace. I shall report back but will be tentatively aiming for sub 23 (current best is 24.37 in the first 5k of the Phoenix 10k).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I don't wear them myself anymore as most events don't let you wear them, so it is better to train without 'em and enjoy the sounds of the world.

... but when I did wear them I preferred ones that clip around the ear, as other types just fell out after a while!
This. I never wear them now, even on ultras

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
In sort of training for the Worthing Half the date of which is hurtling towards me with great speed (14th Feb). I'm still training like a 5k runner - which is not appropriate. So went for a longer run today with some nasty hill repeats. Intended to do 6.5m but only managed 4.5m. Had that horrible 'nothing left in the tank' feeling. As this is not something I'd like to happen in the Half itself I think I'd better get my act together.
Anyone else tackling the Worthing? If not windy I think it would be a PB target for many....but most definitely not me, as my PB (1:31) was some c.26 years ago!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
What is running etiquette in terms of PB's and use of treadmills?

It's 13 below freezing where I am at present, and being an idiot, I only brought shorts and no long tights for running, so not venturing outside today. Hopped on the treadmill for at a pace faster than a fat bloke like me is used to, and managed to not fall off for 5k. In doing so I knocked 45 seconds off my PB, but does that count, or should you only use outdoor times with the vagaries of weather etc.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

It's 13 below freezing where I am at present, and being an idiot, I only brought shorts and no long tights for running, so not venturing outside today. Hopped on the treadmill for at a pace faster than a fat bloke like me is used to, and managed to not fall off for 5k. In doing so I knocked 45 seconds off my PB, but does that count, or should you only use outdoor times with the vagaries of weather etc.

Sorry El P. but I think that the history of world records would need to be re-written if treadmill PBs were allowed. I guess most of us have used them at some stage and I found that a TM was very good for getting a quicker cadence which then helped my times when I was back on the road. I don't know if there are any formulae for 'translating' a TM time into a 'proper' one but I do recall a running magazine many years ago which stated that a 1% incline on a TM was a rough and ready equivalent of non-TM running. (That actually seems quite generous to me.)
I think I once did a 3 mile on a TM in 17:59 (you can see why it stuck in my memory!) but I guess I was nearer 19 (plus) on the road at the time. I've not used one for many years but you've made me wonder how I'd do on one now.................................

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Sorry El P. but I think that the history of world records would need to be re-written if treadmill PBs were allowed. I guess most of us have used them at some stage and I found that a TM was very good for getting a quicker cadence which then helped my times when I was back on the road. I don't know if there are any formulae for 'translating' a TM time into a 'proper' one but I do recall a running magazine many years ago which stated that a 1% incline on a TM was a rough and ready equivalent of non-TM running. (That actually seems quite generous to me.)
I think I once did a 3 mile on a TM in 17:59 (you can see why it stuck in my memory!) but I guess I was nearer 19 (plus) on the road at the time. I've not used one for many years now but you've made me wonder how I'd do on one now.................................

I suspected as much GNT. Back to the drawing board. I knew in my heart of hearts that a PB after all the food I have scoffed in the last fortnight was illogical.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Good conditions for running tomorrow both night and day. After months of almost relentless windy days, we have brief rest bite with a 5mph southerly. I'll be looking to make the most of it as we are back to gale force winds by Saturday.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Doesn't count, but by all means have a 'treadmill PB' and use it as a benchmark. For example, if you've got a 5k treadmill time, you can use that to calculate your training zones (from easy through to 'eyeballs out') and use accordingly, or simply do a time trial every so often. I do a lot of treadmill training as it's the easier option at work. Great for 'no cheating' interval sessions but I find it harder than running outside ironically.

I have a pal who trained for a marathon on a treadmill - regular 3-4 hour runs (New York winter) and I know a chap who until recently held the 50k world record (just over 3 hours FFS)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Talking of time trials I did mine on the seafront this morning. Beautiful conditions, cold, still and the sun just rising. Even the shingle had been moved off the "track".

Result was PBs galore. Between Strava segments and real distances the run clocked up 21 different Strava "cups". The important ones were a best mile time of 7.28 and a new 5k PB of 23.27, the only time I have run a PB outside a race :)

Hurty right now.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Talking of time trials I did mine on the seafront this morning. Beautiful conditions, cold, still and the sun just rising. Even the shingle had been moved off the "track".

Result was PBs galore. Between Strava segments and real distances the run clocked up 21 different Strava "cups". The important ones were a best mile time of 7.28 and a new 5k PB of 23.27, the only time I have run a PB outside a race :)

Hurty right now.
Great stuff

#trusttheplan

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here