Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Any of you ever run a 4 minute mile? Thinking about making a 5 minute mile a 2016 goal.

LOL. Started running at 35 when I was 18 stone. A 4 minute mile was never on the agenda. Never trained for that kind of distance, best I have ever done is 5.45 at a club track session. I can just about do 6 at the moment (but that's 'vomiting pace' for me)

You'd need I think to be coached to it, via an athletics club rather than a running club. Locally maybe Phoenix or Arena might be able to help ?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
In Brighton ideally...

Coral's stadium fitness centre. Search for website. Ring reception. Sports Injury man. Nothing till 7th, when I have an appointment. If Calf recovers before then I will have him smash my spine around instead. Good luck.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Any of you ever run a 4 minute mile? Thinking about making a 5 minute mile a 2016 goal.

Not even close. It's a distance I've attempted twice for a laugh and both times hit 5:53. I've averaged 6:07 per mile for 5k recently so I'm pretty sure I can go below 5:45 next time.

As mentioned above you would need to practice on the track as sub 5 let alone sub 4 is some pace.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
To get sub 5 you should be capable of a top 2 finish at Parkrun. 5k at close to 16 minutes.
Good luck [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] needs someone to chase.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Few days off to finish off the Christmas supplies. Now dry until April. Celebrated day 2 of sobriety with a 10 mile blow round Shoreham. The Adur path is not in the best of conditions, my Mizuno road shoes are now covered in thick dry mud!!

Good luck with your goals this year everyone.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Amazing 10 mile run this morning. Ran up to Benfield Vally and then up to the Dyke. Wind behind me going up hill and then wind and rain in my face on the way back down - I think I may have run faster up hill than down! All whilst listening to Stokes and Bairstow destroying the SA attack in the sun shine - the commentators warnings about sun burn just added to the slightly surreal feel to it all.
One of those runs in terrible conditions that I will be thinking about when lining up for the marathon in April - if you can put the distance in in these conditions then anything is possible!!!

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Thanks for the advice, can only fail. Not local to Brighton anymore unfortunately but will get involved with a local club.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Decided to step back to quick three milers this year as I have just been trudging round 5 milers without really getting into it. Gonna get the pace up then step up in distance.

Real runners weather this morning, really enjoyed it.

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
I've made the first run of week 3 of the couch to 5k. The distances/times seem small compared to what I could do previously, but after the battering my lungs took, and the subsequent sitting and doing nothing for months, they leave me panting. So my first aim for the year is to finish that programme, and then to keep it going throughout the rest of the year.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Amazing 10 mile run this morning. Ran up to Benfield Vally and then up to the Dyke. Wind behind me going up hill and then wind and rain in my face on the way back down - I think I may have run faster up hill than down! All whilst listening to Stokes and Bairstow destroying the SA attack in the sun shine - the commentators warnings about sun burn just added to the slightly surreal feel to it all.
One of those runs in terrible conditions that I will be thinking about when lining up for the marathon in April - if you can put the distance in in these conditions then anything is possible!!!

With you on this one. Wanted to go out this morning but had to take offspring no 1 to Gatwick as going back to Uni, was absolutely lashing down when I got home so watched Stokes and Bairstow going at it hoping rain would stop. It didn't. Reluctantly dragged my arse outside for about 11 miles. Amount of water on the lanes was mental.....ankle deep several times, and it lashed it down throughout. Got back home, had a shower and felt quite smug [emoji3]

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I've made the first run of week 3 of the couch to 5k. The distances/times seem small compared to what I could do previously, but after the battering my lungs took, and the subsequent sitting and doing nothing for months, they leave me panting. So my first aim for the year is to finish that programme, and then to keep it going throughout the rest of the year.

Good stuff. Look forward to hearing your 5K achievements. Quite a few on the thread do various Parkruns (locally and elsewhere) so maybe you'll do one of these before too long. All the best.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

C25k is a great programme to start you off.......you'll be surprised how quickly you progress though. Can't recommend parkrun highly enough - start as soon as you can.....

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
C25k is a great programme to start you off.......you'll be surprised how quickly you progress though. Can't recommend parkrun highly enough - start as soon as you can.....
This time last year I was regularly doi 10k's, but a month in intensive care with pneumonia over the summer set me back.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I need to shift the accumulated cake (put on nearly half a stone over Christmas) ahead of the Surrey Half in March, so I toddled off on an easy paced 11.5 mile run at lunch time. My main aim was to run over an hour to get into the fat burning zone, and I managed to keep running for about an hour and a half without being reduced to walking.

I feel quite good for that, I might include one ten mile minimum run each week.

How is everyone else approaching their post-Christmas running?

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
With you on this one. Wanted to go out this morning but had to take offspring no 1 to Gatwick as going back to Uni, was absolutely lashing down when I got home so watched Stokes and Bairstow going at it hoping rain would stop. It didn't. Reluctantly dragged my arse outside for about 11 miles. Amount of water on the lanes was mental.....ankle deep several times, and it lashed it down throughout. Got back home, had a shower and felt quite smug [emoji3]

Has the pneumonia kicked in yet?!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here