Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Did The Color Run yesterday. Not really a proper run as most people walk at least bits round a crowded course. Was expecting to hate it TBH, featuring as it does forced happiness and false American accents but we went as a big group and had a real laugh. For some reason the ladies in the group enjoyed putting glitter on my bald head and we had a long pub session afterwards which is probably not ideal for Bright10 next week but was much needed.

It definitely serves as more than a camp exercise in mid Atlantic sponsorship though. One of my friends wanted to run all the way round, She used to run regularly but injured her hip and the longest she'd done in come back was 2 miles. I and another friend (who has run an 18.11 5k and a 38 min cross country 10k) paced her round and I saw that look of achievement when she finished that I got at the BM10k. There were people pushing wheelchairs around, very elderly people with walking poles, someone on crutches and several overweight looking people who would have got some fun out of serious exercise, maybe for the first time. With a bit of a boogie after and a walk to and from town the Health app registered 15k on my feet in total for the day.

If you want to get a big group together, run very slowly and abandon any cynicism you have lying around it's highly recommended.

Great post.........

JSJ 20 mile race for me this morning. Forgotten what a barsteward this race was......relentless hillage, especially in the middle 10 miles and the nasty little surprise behind the Rottingdean Windmill at about 17 miles. Finished in about 3.05 - cracking day to be up on the Downs, shame it looks as though this race won't take place any more.

https://www.strava.com/activities/410807469

billpotter72

Mar 24, 2015
Great weekend:

1) Eastbourne Park run yesterday lovely day for it
2) Eastbourne Beer festival straight after with my newly 18 year old eldest boy
3) Tempo 10k race on Eastbourne Seafront this morning with a gut full of ale and curry. what was I thinking!

Superbly organised race though so am pleased I made it and even more pleased I kept everything down :)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
IOW marathon: 4:09.

The hill at the end is horrible, but on the plus side I didn't stop running until I got to it, which was 24 miles.

Very happy, even though I thought sub four might have been possible.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Did The Color Run yesterday. Not really a proper run as most people walk at least bits round a crowded course. Was expecting to hate it TBH, featuring as it does forced happiness and false American accents but we went as a big group and had a real laugh. For some reason the ladies in the group enjoyed putting glitter on my bald head and we had a long pub session afterwards which is probably not ideal for Bright10 next week but was much needed.

It definitely serves as more than a camp exercise in mid Atlantic sponsorship though. One of my friends wanted to run all the way round, She used to run regularly but injured her hip and the longest she'd done in come back was 2 miles. I and another friend (who has run an 18.11 5k and a 38 min cross country 10k) paced her round and I saw that look of achievement when she finished that I got at the BM10k. There were people pushing wheelchairs around, very elderly people with walking poles, someone on crutches and several overweight looking people who would have got some fun out of serious exercise, maybe for the first time. With a bit of a boogie after and a walk to and from town the Health app registered 15k on my feet in total for the day.

If you want to get a big group together, run very slowly and abandon any cynicism you have lying around it's highly recommended.

I have to say I have a lot of cynicism for Color (sic) Runs. For me, running is about pushing your physical limits and getting round a course, whatever the distance, in as little time as possible. However, this may be because I am hugely competitive, both towards myself - i.e. striving for PBs - and those that I'm running with.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Completed the Sussex half marathon in 2 hours exactly give or take. Bit disappointed as was aiming for sub 1:50 but after worrying about my shin splints ( acupuncture worked a treat ) my knee in the end let me down. Still made it to the end on a very tough course in fantastic conditions and weirdly can't wait till next year to make improvements.
I'm going to take it easy in November and have a go at the mince pie 10 as my next competitive race.

https://www.strava.com/activities/410645553

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I have to say I have a lot of cynicism for Color (sic) Runs. For me, running is about pushing your physical limits and getting round a course, whatever the distance, in as little time as possible. However, this may be because I am hugely competitive, both towards myself - i.e. striving for PBs - and those that I'm running with.

I know what you mean but Colour Run is not a serious running event like that - it's not what it's about. I watched the event yesterday afternoon - there must have been around 2000 participants (plus those on the morning session) every one of whom finished with a big smile on their face. I reckon loads of those people wouldn't take part in a more serious event but who knows how many might give park run a go as a result of having fun yesterday. In the words of my son 'that was the funnest run ever' -( and we're still cleaning orange paint out of his ear this afternoon!) It's not to my taste either but if it encourages more people to get active then that's got to be a good thing has nt it?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm in a real frustrating patch at the moment. I've got no pace at all and distance is a struggle too.

I've just looked back at my Strava record to see what changed.

After my suspected Plantar Fasciitis (I say suspected as I'm not convinced it was, given how quickly and well it cleared up) I hit my peak to date. It was probably the enforced rest (although I'd done a fair bit of mountain biking over the downs whilst I couldn't run) had done be good. In late July/early August I smashed my 5km PB by a massive margin with a 22:49, did the same with my 10 mile PB a few days later with a 1:22:49 and then a 10km PB with a 49:03 about a week after that.

I got lazy in August and didn't run for 2 and a half weeks before getting on it again. Since then I've been struggling massively. My old 'cruising' pace of 8 min/miles now takes a fair bit of effort to maintain and I couldn't get anywhere near any of my PBs currently. It's like I've regressed about 6 months. I had previously felt like I had just progressed from fat bloke plodder to a real runner now I feel like I'm back to being a FBP again.

It's not like I'm overdoing it either, I've been running less than I had been previously so I should have freshness to help me but I generally feel the effects of each run for far longer than I did previously.

I'll stick at it, because I'm determined, but some of the enjoyment factor is missing right now.

Completed the Sussex half marathon in 2 hours exactly give or take. Bit disappointed as was aiming for sub 1:50 but after worrying about my shin splints ( acupuncture worked a treat ) my knee in the end let me down. Still made it to the end on a very tough course in fantastic conditions and weirdly can't wait till next year to make improvements.
I'm going to take it easy in November and have a go at the mince pie 10 as my next competitive race.

https://www.strava.com/activities/410645553

Well done. That hill at the end was tough! 1:46 for me was pleasing, but raced a lady up that last hill, she out out sprinted me & then did a second lap!

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Well done. That hill at the end was tough! 1:46 for me was pleasing, but raced a lady up that last hill, she out out sprinted me & then did a second lap!

Yeah brutal last mile but great effort. I'm convinced I won't run for a few weeks but who am I kidding? For all its hardships had great fun toady.
Good luck in Dublin

BiffyBoy

Aug 20, 2012
Well, we've all turned up to events under-trained but this is right on the far end of the spectrum. Given your situation, your time for 10 miles is actually very respectable and at least gives grounds for optimism. But the after -effects of this might still be 'in your legs' on Sunday and a hilly course can ask your body all sorts of questions that have painful answers. If you are determined to proceed then don't for goodness sake try to run at your 10 mile pace. A 2 hour HM is fine and (if it matters to you) there'll still be plenty of folk behind you.
And on Monday morning you might find it a bit tricky to get down your stairs!

So I somehow managed to finish the Boston Half Marathon in 01:37:16.

It really wasn't my plan, I joined the 9.00 pace group and planned to run faster over the first half and then slow down on the second part which is really hilly (Elevation to 150ft, between mile 7-13)

I got a bit caught up with the buzz, and those cheesy american flags, and went off quite fast. I think the atmosphere really helped as I managed to keep a decent pace of 07.25 with my fastest mile being 7.03 and slowest 07.45.

The last 5 miles were really horrible and I thought they were a lot slower than my actual time. As mentioned before by other, not training must also put a lot on the body. I'm feeling bad now and think I will for a few weeks.

I def wouldn't recommend doing a half without training, but highly recommend the Boston Half Marathon if you're ever over this way!

On the plus side, it's a good starting point to sign up for another one and train properly. Thanks again for your help, I was worried last week and would have probably not bothered doing it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm in a real frustrating patch at the moment. I've got no pace at all and distance is a struggle too.

I've just looked back at my Strava record to see what changed.

After my suspected Plantar Fasciitis (I say suspected as I'm not convinced it was, given how quickly and well it cleared up) I hit my peak to date. It was probably the enforced rest (although I'd done a fair bit of mountain biking over the downs whilst I couldn't run) had done be good. In late July/early August I smashed my 5km PB by a massive margin with a 22:49, did the same with my 10 mile PB a few days later with a 1:22:49 and then a 10km PB with a 49:03 about a week after that.

I got lazy in August and didn't run for 2 and a half weeks before getting on it again. Since then I've been struggling massively. My old 'cruising' pace of 8 min/miles now takes a fair bit of effort to maintain and I couldn't get anywhere near any of my PBs currently. It's like I've regressed about 6 months. I had previously felt like I had just progressed from fat bloke plodder to a real runner now I feel like I'm back to being a FBP again.

It's not like I'm overdoing it either, I've been running less than I had been previously so I should have freshness to help me but I generally feel the effects of each run for far longer than I did previously.

I'll stick at it, because I'm determined, but some of the enjoyment factor is missing right now.

What speedwork are you doing ? Would recommend winding down the mileage a bit and doing some hard, fast interval sessions. Don't take so long so not such a chore, and will get you moving faster.............just for 3-4 weeks

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What speedwork are you doing ? Would recommend winding down the mileage a bit and doing some hard, fast interval sessions. Don't take so long so not such a chore, and will get you moving faster.............just for 3-4 weeks

None as such, but I never have. If I was running a short distance I'd run quicker, if I was running a longer distance, I'd run slower. Sometimes I'd run the first bit harder and then jog the rest (e.g. hard 5km and then jog another 5km to complete a 10km), but I'd not even do that often.

Actually I've thought of another difference. Earlier this year, particularly in June when I ran every day, I was doing trails and hills in addition to road. Often hilly trails. I was really mixing up what I was doing to keep things interesting. I've retired back to the road exclusively.

You particularly [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] talk about the benefits of hills and trails. I wonder if I gained far more through them than I realised and in now largely sticking to flattish road, I've lost some of that gain.

My mileage has winded down quite a bit. Only 18 miles this week - I was on 25-30, or more, previously.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
None as such, but I never have. If I was running a short distance I'd run quicker, if I was running a longer distance, I'd run slower. Sometimes I'd run the first bit harder and then jog the rest (e.g. hard 5km and then jog another 5km to complete a 10km), but I'd not even do that often.

Actually I've thought of another difference. Earlier this year, particularly in June when I ran every day, I was doing trails and hills in addition to road. Often hilly trails. I was really mixing up what I was doing to keep things interesting. I've retired back to the road exclusively.

You particularly [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] talk about the benefits of hills and trails. I wonder if I gained far more through them than I realised and in now largely sticking to flattish road, I've lost some of that gain.

My mileage has winded down quite a bit. Only 18 miles this week - I was on 25-30, or more, previously.

I know you said you're a tight arse, but I would seriously consider booking an event of some description, for the pure reason that it will give you something to aim for and then you will stretch yourself far more during the event then any training run.

Brooks 10k in November or the Mince Pie 10 in December plus a load of other events in and around Sussex.

Hills are good I noticed I improved when I started taking on more hills around this time last year. I'll be taking on a big hill session myself Wednesday and I will try to get a least a bi-weekly hill session through the rest of the year, although I find my recovery is significantly slower after a hill session especially my calf's they are tight for 2/3 days after.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
It sounds like everyone had a good weekend of running.

I ventured to my local Parkrun for the first time since July, promptly got stood upon at the start, was then thrown by a slight change to the course at the end of the lap which means my usual straight downhill sprint at the end is going to have to be re-thought as it is now a zig-zag with a slight uphill section in the middle (hill 5 of the course effectively). But despite all that I finished in 8th place with a 20:08 (the bloke in 7th was in his 60's and pulled a sub-20!! :ohmy: ), so quite pleased overall.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
A bit of an expansion on the Isle of Wight Marathon.

Nice course, even though there is a big stretch where you come back on yourself (never my favourite bit about a run), and really well marshalled. Drinks stations every three miles, and also sponges at regular points which really cooled me down yesterday.

The stats show where I faded, but I was determined to keep running as long as I could. It really felt like I went through the wall at 20/21 miles, and didn't resort to walking. After that it seemed to get easier (only slightly) and I'm convinced that if it wasn't for that bloody hill just after 24 miles I would have run the whole lot, which is encouraging.

Anyway, a bit of recovery and then back down to the seafront on Saturday. It'll be nice to stick to short stuff for a while, before ramping up again for Brighton!

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/925604465

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Fair play to the people posting impressive times.

As put earlier in this thread, I'm a complete non-runner but got drunk and agreed to do the Brighton Half next year.

I play football a bit so hoped I'd have some sort of "base" fitness.I've decided to start straight at 5k and done two runs so far. I set off from my house and I was BEYOND cocky when at 3k I had all the energy in the world.

"This is an absolute breeze" I thought. Then it all went a bit SLOW and HURTY and I STAGGERED home. 33mins.

Now, NSC, this is where I need your help. Do I keep running 5km's and IMPROVE on those or is where I just try and go a LITTLE bit further each time, even though it's still not easy?

Thanks!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Fair play to the people posting impressive times.

As put earlier in this thread, I'm a complete non-runner but got drunk and agreed to do the Brighton Half next year.

I play football a bit so hoped I'd have some sort of "base" fitness.I've decided to start straight at 5k and done two runs so far. I set off from my house and I was BEYOND cocky when at 3k I had all the energy in the world.

"This is an absolute breeze" I thought. Then it all went a bit SLOW and HURTY and I STAGGERED home. 33mins.

Now, NSC, this is where I need your help. Do I keep running 5km's and IMPROVE on those or is where I just try and go a LITTLE bit further each time, even though it's still not easy?

Thanks!

If I was you I'd start with a 'couch to 5k/walk to run' training plan - then find yourself a half marathon training plan - and in fact I did do both things when I started running a few years ago, and signed up for my first half marathon two years ago!

These plans will incrementally bring up your endurance and speed, and it IS tough to start. I can remember doing the walk to run stuff, and the week one plan calling for me to run for a minute and walk for a minute x 10 (or something similar) and blowing out of my ar$e after the second repetition! You sound like you are a bit fitter than I was so can probably start a few weeks into the plan.

The key for me was remembering that each stage of the plan I was following was aimed at getting me to run faster for longer.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I know you said you're a tight arse, but I would seriously consider booking an event of some description, for the pure reason that it will give you something to aim for and then you will stretch yourself far more during the event then any training run.

It's not so much the 'tight arse factor' as I'm not, really. It's more that running has been, and continues to be, a means of getting myself into shape. Times and general performance improvement are another interesting part of the whole process, but they've never been the main motivating factor.

Back in July I was probably at the point where I felt I could so myself some kind of justice in an event, but that seems long gone now. I think I need to keep plugging away, try to get down to my target weight and then think about events, likely next Spring. I'm in no great rush there though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here