IMG_8239.jpeg

I think I’m ready!

Good luck everyone!!!

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Shocker!

I knew a tough day was in the post. I simply have not been able to put in the required miles this year and it really showed. 45 minutes slower than last year at 5:16 but the lovely thing was, with the time shot, I gave into it, enjoyed the ride and stopped to chat with friends on Church Road.

“Crap run. Brilliant day” is how I’d put it. Super weather, huge turnout, magnificent support, exemplary volunteers. A joy to be there. Definitely felt the benefit of London Marathon running the show and having an entire year to prep it.

I’ll be back for 2025. Gives me a chance to do it right.

Applause to all of you who ran, volunteered and cheered. You all make it what it is.

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Well done Brighton runners – some fantastic achievements. I also noticed on Strava/FB some great efforts by those formally of this parish.

Sounds like everything came together today – including the weather!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Well done all runners yesterday - some great times on a day many struggled with the unexpected heat.
Had the usual fun day running the High5 drinks station at Mile 15.
Slightly stressful - at one point I had five runners lying on the floor in various states of distress, thankfully I had a couple of good first aiders on my team to help. Ended up with two St John’s ambulance crews - one at each end of the drinks station and an ambulance in the middle!
Thankfully from what I’ve heard very few if any runners ended up in hospital overnight.

As a result didn’t see many of the runners go by but the beers afterwards were very welcome!

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Well done all runners yesterday - some great times on a day many struggled with the unexpected heat.
Had the usual fun day running the High5 drinks station at Mile 15.
Slightly stressful - at one point I had five runners lying on the floor in various states of distress, thankfully I had a couple of good first aiders on my team to help. Ended up with two St John’s ambulance crews - one at each end of the drinks station and an ambulance in the middle!
Thankfully from what I’ve heard very few if any runners ended up in hospital overnight.

As a result didn’t see many of the runners go by but the beers afterwards were very welcome!
Thanks for all your work. I was looking out for “the guy with the radio” but it sounds like you were a bit busy.

BenElton'sBrother

Nov 30, 2003
Hove
A big well done to everyone who took on or volunteered Brighton yesterday.
A really good event and I'm a big fan of the course changes!
Yesterday also went very well personally, a near six minute PB saw me come home in 3.22.16.
Being a bit of a part time statto there's a few things that stood out for me,
- All miles were sub 8, never come close to doing that (although I did run it quite close in places).
- There were 35 seconds between my fastest and slowest miles, is that consistent or very one paced!
- My out half was 1.41.04 and the back half 1.41.12, a guess consistent :)
Having bagged the time it means I can go out and enjoy the sights and sounds of my first London in a couple of weeks and then think about possibly targeting another time in Berlin later in the year ...

Last edited:

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I ran Southampton Marathon to try something different. Nowhere near the level of Brighton Marathon in terms of organisation and support (most of the course was empty by the second loop as most runners were doing the half marathon distance).

The two-lap structure also made it dull and running through an empty St Mary’s Stadium and shouting ‘Seagulls’ twice didn’t make up for the double hill at miles 10/23 which added over a minute to my pace per mile.

A personal marathon worst for me at 3:40:15.

Well done to those getting PBs in a Brighton yesterday. I’ll probably be back to run it next year.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Thanks for all your work. I was looking out for “the guy with the radio” but it sounds like you were a bit busy.
Yeah - I was looking out for you too but I barely saw anyone between the 3:30 pacer and 5:00 pacer and when I was watching I was mainly looking out for anyone in distress rather than friends! I think I knew about 20 people running yesterday and saw three of them.
Good news is only two runners ended up in hospital and i believe both were discharged by the evening. In comparison three non-runners also ended up in hospital (the medical operation covers all marathon and non-marathon issues within the marathon footprint on the day).

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I ran Southampton Marathon to try something different. Nowhere near the level of Brighton Marathon in terms of organisation and support (most of the course was empty by the second loop as most runners were doing the half marathon distance).
There’s a thing. The organisation was superb this year. Loads of lavatories with very reasonable queue times in Preston Park. Walked straight up to the bag drop and no time at all to collect.

The app had the potential to be very good but they’ll need to get turbocharged Wi-Fi in Preston Park to enable people to use it. None of my group of three were able to access it by the start to activate the GPS tracking.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Battersea Park 1/2 done in 1:23 sunday. Battling a few niggles so very much feet up now until next Sunday. Did the same race a little quicker last time when I got 3:00:18 so a little disappointing but very small margins. Well done to all those who did brighton. I went to watch and was very impressed by the new organisation- let’s hope it returns to former glory

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here