Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Perfect day for runnin, cold sunny and no wind. Soaking in a hot bath now after 17.5km, bottom of Wilson ave, through Ovingdean, Rottingdean and up to Telescombe, back along under cliff. 1hr 40 including a few stops to check the map. A couple of hours to recover before heading off to the Amex.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Did the Darkstar today, just about finished in time to get changed and make it for kick-off. Proper old school trail event, 28.2 miles from Shoreham, along the river bank, part of the Downlink to West Grinstead and then back along the other bank. Firm underfoot most of the way up as it was frozen, schlepped through mud most of the way back. Pretty pleased with 5.17 after over a year out and nothing longer than 17m since I started up again. Started cramping at 20m which made the last 8 a bit messy, but these things happen..........

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Did the Darkstar today, just about finished in time to get changed and make it for kick-off. Proper old school trail event, 28.2 miles from Shoreham, along the river bank, part of the Downlink to West Grinstead and then back along the other bank. Firm underfoot most of the way up as it was frozen, schlepped through mud most of the way back. Pretty pleased with 5.17 after over a year out and nothing longer than 17m since I started up again. Started cramping at 20m which made the last 8 a bit messy, but these things happen..........

Cracking effort, I can't imagine running 28.2miles in one go at this point!

I knocked out my second Half Marathon of the month today, stepped up the distance from 13.5miles in 2:10:54 to 15.3miles in a total time of 2:12:46, with a 1,281 feet elevation gain down from 1,296. I picked up the pace from 9:41 to 8:42 per mile and generally feel a lot stronger today. I feel like it's about time to step up the Marathon training properly, I don't want to let myself - or the charity - down on the day.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly

Well Done Dazzer, great work. The last 8-9 miles were tough weren't they?! The last two aid stations were very gratefully received! i thought the penultimate one would never come and when i saw the A27 flyover it just wasn't getting any nearer.. but hey ho.. the chilli and the cups of tea at the end were amazing. My garmin says 4:20, so we'll see what the final times are as i forgot to turn my GPS on until just after the Start barrier. Great event, that night marathon, that Jay mentioned in the briefing sounded appealing. But i don't want to see mud for a good week or two!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well Done Dazzer, great work. The last 8-9 miles were tough weren't they?! The last two aid stations were very gratefully received! i thought the penultimate one would never come and when i saw the A27 flyover it just wasn't getting any nearer.. but hey ho.. the chilli and the cups of tea at the end were amazing. My garmin says 4:20, so we'll see what the final times are as i forgot to turn my GPS on until just after the Start barrier. Great event, that night marathon, that Jay mentioned in the briefing sounded appealing. But i don't want to see mud for a good week or two!

Great time, well done - I was about an hour behind you :) I was a while at that last station as was feeling a bit ropey at that point. Also spent too long at West Grinstead because my clubmates were manning it !

It did drag a bit once we crossed the river on the way back.....tricky underfoot as well. Almost came a cropper a couple of times just before Bramber Bridge. I missed out on the chilli because I had the game to get to, so settled for a steak pie. Definitely up for the night marathon, love night running. I doubt it'll be along the river bank though !

Jay and his team are great, just what trail running should be like. Steyning Stinger next, even more of a mudfest........

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Your both selling it well. I am getting more interested. Good effort. Next year maybe. Any other nsc runners?

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Great time, well done - I was about an hour behind you :) I was a while at that last station as was feeling a bit ropey at that point. Also spent too long at West Grinstead because my clubmates were manning it !

It did drag a bit once we crossed the river on the way back.....tricky underfoot as well. Almost came a cropper a couple of times just before Bramber Bridge. I missed out on the chilli because I had the game to get to, so settled for a steak pie. Definitely up for the night marathon, love night running. I doubt it'll be along the river bank though !

Jay and his team are great, just what trail running should be like. Steyning Stinger next, even more of a mudfest........

I Think the mud and watching your feet in that last 8 miles was more mentally tough than anything.. The night run would be great prep for you for the SDW100
Gutted i was a bit too late to enter the Steyning stinger as i believe entries have closed. Get a bit of speed work in for the Hastings Half. Slow and easy at the 3 forts, then NDW50. I want to fit something in Feb and April, but we'll see. Then the Downslink in October.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
My cunning plan for pre marathon training faltered somewhat. The 30 day Himalayan trek went perfectly well. Total of 20,000 metre ascending and 20,000 metre descending at altitude with 12 kg on my back. Perfect pre Xmas endurance preparation. Disaster struck in India. The inevitable squitters and a course of antibiotics led to missing 16 days of training in early January with the only running being for the toilet.
Home for a week and endurance good ( 3 x 9 milers since Sunday). Looking forward to the next few months.
Will turn up at Hove Parkrun on Satirday but only for a jog at 26+ minutes. Must stick to the weekly schedule at my age.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I Think the mud and watching your feet in that last 8 miles was more mentally tough than anything.. The night run would be great prep for you for the SDW100
Gutted i was a bit too late to enter the Steyning stinger as i believe entries have closed. Get a bit of speed work in for the Hastings Half. Slow and easy at the 3 forts, then NDW50. I want to fit something in Feb and April, but we'll see. Then the Downslink in October.

Just heard the Stinger was full. I'm planning on doing 3 Forts as well, plus SDW50 in April and poss Brighton too. Have you heard about the Moyleman ? Marathon on the Downs from Lewes on March 15th. Have emailed them as can't find any way if entering - only a facebook page.

Also just seen a post from Sussex Trail that they are picking up the old Jack and Jill 30 from Haywards Heath Harriers, but not until May 2016, although they are planning a 'test event' in November so that will be one to look out for as November is a bit barren for this kind of event.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Where has everyone got to? Injured? Too cold to type? Out running?
I've stopped all running while I fix the hip and try to remodel my running action.

Have been seeing these guys www.runningschool.co.uk. Time will tell if it gets me to a marathon start line with an intact hip joint!
I've stopped all running while I fix the hip and try to remodel my running action.

Have been seeing these guys www.runningschool.com

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I was supposed to do a 70 minute run today. I passed as my family have all been unwell all week, and I'm shattered from all the Interrupted sleep. Back on the schedule tomorrow.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

Still warming up after Hove Parkrun yesterday morning! Nah- Just back from 20km from Worthing all along the sea front . Nice flat run after a few weeks of hills and cross country.

Everyone still up for Hove Park next Saturday?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Has anyone had, or have, pump bump and/or heel bursitis? The back of my heel, slightly off-centre to where the Achilles' tendon attaches to the heel bone, is very tender after running at the moment. If I warm up and stretch my calf muscle the back of the heel isn't a problem and I can walk around and not notice it....but if I press the area it's very tender/inflamed and painful. Also if my calf stiffens after resting I can feel it. I do plan to get it checked out but just wondered if anyone has similar experience they wish to share.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Has anyone had, or have, pump bump and/or heel bursitis? The back of my heel, slightly off-centre to where the Achilles' tendon attaches to the heel bone, is very tender after running at the moment. If I warm up and stretch my calf muscle the back of the heel isn't a problem and I can walk around and not notice it....but if I press the area it's very tender/inflamed and painful. Also if my calf stiffens after resting I can feel it. I do plan to get it checked out but just wondered if anyone has similar experience they wish to share.

I had it few years back. It hurt most in the morning. could hardly walk down the stairs. I took a few months off running but was happy with that at time. As you say it is calf related and hopefully they will massage it out with a painful massage.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I had it few years back. It hurt most in the morning. could hardly walk down the stairs. I took a few months off running but was happy with that at time. As you say it is calf related and hopefully they will massage it out with a painful massage.

Thanks. Did it go after your few months of? I'm planning to take some time off after a half-marathon in April.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Still warming up after Hove Parkrun yesterday morning! Nah- Just back from 20km from Worthing all along the sea front . Nice flat run after a few weeks of hills and cross country.

Everyone still up for Hove Park next Saturday?

A senior moment had made me think the meeting on the 7th was yesterday. Thanks for explaining why I only saw 7:18 yesterday.

Glad you have not all given up. I had a great bullying run yesterday at Parkrun. 4k steady and speeding up to a 5min 30 second mile pace finish. I felt I had won rather than come 198th. Time 25:30ish. If anyone wants a similar time next week with a sprint finish from the top of the hill, I'm up for it. Marathon training plan does not allow more effort than that on a Saturday.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Thanks. Did it go after your few months of? I'm planning to take some time off after a half-marathon in April.

Yes. I put more effort into the standing calf stretch on a stair. Shoulders back and hips forward put much more pressure onto the stretched calf. That may sort you out but slowly into the stretch initially or you may worsen the problem or it may be the wrong area altogether, (Following NSC guidelines to avoid any future litigation).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
My best 5k training run since I restarted this morning, pacing at 9.30 per mile which I couldn't get near when I restarted, more like 11 - 12 :lolol:

This inspired me to enter the bm10k in April. It will literally be my first competitive run since school cross countries (I'm 43) unless I manage to sneak a Park Run in around my kids' Saturday activities. Even two months ago I'd have been bricking it. Actually quite looking forward to it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here