Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thanks for that mate. How many miles do you get up for in training before race day?

If you're just a regular Joe Public like me then 20-22 is the longest run you will need to do prior to the race.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes that's what I'm aiming for come race day. Will feel reasonably happy if can be at the start line with a 20 odd miler under my belt.
You can feel confident if you have managed 20 miles. That extra 6 miles is really nothing to worry about, with the moral support and week or two of rest and preparation in advance of the race. As HT says, don't make the mistake of running nearly 26 miles just to prove you can do it before the race - it's absolutely futile and will do you more harm than good because those last few miles cost you exponentially amounts in fatigue, which will f*** up your training schedule.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I'm up to 13 but should be up to 20 by the big day - sore toes allowing.

What's happened to the REMF sponsorship team? Is that still happening?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You can feel confident if you have managed 20 miles. That extra 6 miles is really nothing to worry about, with the moral support and week or two of rest and preparation in advance of the race. As HT says, don't make the mistake of running nearly 26 miles just to prove you can do it before the race - it's absolutely futile and will do you more harm than good because those last few miles cost you exponentially amounts in fatigue, which will f*** up your training schedule.

Agree, the crowd and race day adrenalin will be sufficient to carry you the extra 6 miles.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm up to 15 miles which I did on Sunday and that was hard work!
That's alright though mate. In fairness, you're one month into your training schedule, think how far you've come in that time. Two more months to manage 5 more miles - you're on the right track. :thumbsup:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

That's a top effort, I'm up to 11 miles the weekend before last. I was aiming to do 13 miles last weekend but developed 'man cold' which has meant I haven't been able to go for a run since Thursday night. I'm nearly over it now so I reckon a short run on Thursday and then go for 13 miles at the weekend.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
That's alright though mate. In fairness, you're one month into your training schedule, think how far you've come in that time. Two more months to manage 5 more miles - you're on the right track. :thumbsup:

Thanks. I'm following a schedule I got from Runners World. It peaks at 22 miles in about a months time then reduces on the lead up to the race. I'm aiming for four hours but that may be optimistic as it's my first Marathon and I'm 45! I managed a half in 1.47.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven

That's a top effort, I'm up to 11 miles the weekend before last.

I also managed 15 miles on Sunday (with a hangover after Watford).

Well done all, great work :thumbsup:

But take note of the Simsters excellent advice below,

You dont get these wise words in Running Mags :lol:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Thanks. I'm following a schedule I got from Runners World. It peaks at 22 miles in about a months time then reduces on the lead up to the race. I'm aiming for four hours but that may be optimistic as it's my first Marathon and I'm 45! I managed a half in 1.47.
Everyone is different, so I'd say 4 hours is possible but not probable. If I were you I'd consider 4:15 a good time, unless you're a seasoned runner of a few years.

I'll give you my personal circumstances as a guide: I'm 39, have run 2 marathons (pb 3:41) and countless halfs (pb: 1:28), I've been running 5-6 miles 3 times a week regularly for 15 years now, and will be training to go sub 3:30 in 2012.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Everyone is different, so I'd say 4 hours is possible but not probable. If I were you I'd consider 4:15 a good time, unless you're a seasoned runner of a few years.

I'll give you my personal circumstances as a guide: I'm 39, have run 2 marathons (pb 3:41) and countless halfs (pb: 1:28), I've been running 5-6 miles 3 times a week regularly for 15 years now, and will be training to go sub 3:30 in 2012.

I've only been running for just over a year so four hours may be out of reach! Ill keep on with the schedule and see how I do.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
I've only been running for just over a year so four hours may be out of reach! Ill keep on with the schedule and see how I do.

My bro ran sub - 4 hrs in his first marathon. He is a fit chap and he followed the runners world schedule, it shows it is possible. I have been trying to break 4hrs for a while, maybe this year is the year, the Falmer effect!

Good luck :thumbsup:

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I'm 37 and this being my first marathon, I'm really not that bothered about what time I do it in. I just want to try and get round without stopping, passing out and/or shitting myself as I tend to suffer from "runners trots".

Stat Man

Tickle my fancy, fat man
Mar 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm 37 and this being my first marathon, I'm really not that bothered about what time I do it in. I just want to try and get round without stopping, passing out and/or shitting myself as I tend to suffer from "runners trots".

I aimed to do 13 miles on Sunday but had to stop after 5 due to painful cramps in my tummy*. Do you (or anyone else) have any magic tips for preventing this? As I'd hate to crap myself while running. I say while running, I think I'd probbaly hate to crap myself in almost all other situations as well.

*I had lactose free milk on my cereal that morning & nothing else containing dairy. I've switched back to soy milk today to see if that helps.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I aimed to do 13 miles on Sunday but had to stop after 5 due to painful cramps in my tummy*. Do you (or anyone else) have any magic tips for preventing this? As I'd hate to crap myself while running. I say while running, I think I'd probbaly hate to crap myself in almost all other situations as well.

*I had lactose free milk on my cereal that morning & nothing else containing dairy. I've switched back to soy milk today to see if that helps.

How long after eating was it before you ran?
I have found that I need 2 hours after eating until I'm able to run without 'pit stops'

Stat Man

Tickle my fancy, fat man
Mar 3, 2009
Brighton
How long after eating was it before you ran?
I have found that I need 2 hours after eating until I'm able to run without 'pit stops'

Thanks Bob, I had forgotten about that. I had tons of pasta left over from the night before & was still eating a spoon of it here & there until about an 1 hour 15 before the run! Won't do that again!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here