Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Blue&WhiteSea

Jul 5, 2003
Sutton
Cross Country (XC) started for me yesterday with the first of 5 fixtures (generally 1st Sunday of the month) in the Oxfordshire League. I'm relatively rubbish at it compared to the road/track, but really enjoy it. Was first time this venue was used, and they had to re-arrange the car parking the day before which resulted in chaos. As a result our race eventually started over an hour late after lining up on 3 separate occassions, by the final time I was bloody freezing (I usually race in just a vest as I get really hot when running). But once the action finally got going it was a cracking, challenging course and I enjoyed it. That was probably helped by the fact I did manage to rein it in at the start and as a result ran pretty consistenly rather than my usual meltdown and going backwards through the field.

Interestingly, as someone who tries to avoid hills generally, my strength seemed to be going up the hills and I was weaker going down them (these weren't too steep or technical decents). Managed a bit of a sprint finish which suggests I'd been a bit conservative.
I love a bit of XC, although a bit of a change for me this year having moved to a new club in a higher division I am now finishing 18th for my club instead of the previous 3rd so am no longer troubling the scorers. It might be the motivation I need to train a bit harder!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Wonderful morning for parkrunning - it seems several parkruns in Holland are being completed by Seagulls.

Meanwhile back in perfect conditions on Hove Prom I managed an SB 20:58 and an AG PB of 74.56% - classic 'three weeks after a marathon' performance when your legs are strong and have recovered. My best run since January 2022 so very happy with that!! Please include next time you're doing a table update @Curious Orange.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
There I was, furiously refreshing the link to Moyleman entries, wondering why the floodgates hadn't been opened at 12pm, as promised.

Then I re-checked the email and it's tomorrow :facepalm: :lolol: I honestly thought the 'Opens in 24 hours' message was some sort of glitch in the system!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
There I was, furiously refreshing the link to Moyleman entries, wondering why the floodgates hadn't been opened at 12pm, as promised.

Then I re-checked the email and it's tomorrow :facepalm: :lolol: I honestly thought the 'Opens in 24 hours' message was some sort of glitch in the system!
😆 🤣
Yes. Live 12pm tomorrow and likely to sell out in 15 minutes. Need a window open a few devices. Good luck. Be good to see you there again.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
😆 🤣
Yes. Live 12pm tomorrow and likely to sell out in 15 minutes. Need a window open a few devices. Good luck. Be good to see you there again.

You too, Gaffer! You're already in aren't you? Deferral from last year?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
😆 🤣

IN!

Mad to see that, at 12:05pm, there was already a waiting list for the relay!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Will be a personal triumph, albeit a piddly personal triumph, if I manage to do a Preston Park Park Run by the end of this year. For some pathetic reason I have a totally stupid pathological fear of it, despite having had the swipe card for several years and knowing that its totally supportive and nobody comes last and you can even walk it if you want. Made all the more stupid that I actually completed the last pre-pandemic Brighton 10k in 2019. But that was for charity, for my niece's twin boys going through a gruelling childhood leukemia process at the time. Like I say, it's stupid and pathetic and, well, downright head-mental to be scared of doing a Park Run. But I will do one this year, I promise :down:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Excellent! Not easy to get a place.
I'm aiming for 4:59:59.
I'm just aiming to NOT be overtaken by you up that bastard hill at the end! And hopefully not because I'm lagging so far behind you already :lolol:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Anyone fancy a jog round the Panathenaic Stadium (The 1896 Olympic Stadium) at 7.30 tomorrow.

Free entry for joggers 7.30am to 9.00am

Last edited:

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Did the Hurtwood 50k today. Starts in Dorking then out up over Leith Hill , Holmbury Hill and Pitch Hill……….Then back over them on the way back! My Garmin was showing 1300m of ascent and I felt every metre!!

Very muddy/slippy, very wet and very tough, but superb aid stations and volunteers as always. Time went out the window today, but pleased I got it done.

Hope everyone is running well abd injury free!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
FB_IMG_1701677705205.jpg

😳😳😳

anygivensunday

Jul 5, 2012
Singapore
Having literally only dragged myself off the couch and started running for the first time in my life in September, I completed my first long distance run in the Singapore half marathon yesterday. Time was pathetic but happy to actually have achieved/finished it.
Already looking at the next one in April and can see how it becomes addictive.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
This is incredible.
Hi all. Not been around these parts for some months, partly because of probs with my eyes and tbh partly because I got out of the habit. Good to see familiar names still posting and even better ......to see that I'm still top of the parkrun AG table.
I've had lots of niggling injuries (who hasn't?) since peaking around the early summer.
I have to be careful I don't overdo it and have not really gone much further than 5k in training or events.
My current form is OK and still hitting the low 80% region as long as I run on the flat and short course known as Worthing. And preferably on a windless day.
Am 69 just after Xmas and wishing my life away to get to 70 when I hope I'll be in competitive shape.
I'll try to get back into the posting habit and also try to end this year and start the new one with some decent performances.
All the best, GNT.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Hi all. Not been around these parts for some months, partly because of probs with my eyes and tbh partly because I got out of the habit. Good to see familiar names still posting and even better ......to see that I'm still top of the parkrun AG table.
I've had lots of niggling injuries (who hasn't?) since peaking around the early summer.
I have to be careful I don't overdo it and have not really gone much further than 5k in training or events.
My current form is OK and still hitting the low 80% region as long as I run on the flat and short course known as Worthing. And preferably on a windless day.
Am 69 just after Xmas and wishing my life away to get to 70 when I hope I'll be in competitive shape.
I'll try to get back into the posting habit and also try to end this year and start the new one with some decent performances.
All the best, GNT.
Training session this morning. This is my Intervals for Wimps one. 10 x 250 metres plus 1 x 500 metres. All at around 3.40 pace and with a rest of either 30 or 60 seconds depending how knackered I feel. (I do an almost exactly similar session on the Concept 2 but a bit slower.)
Q

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here