Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
You were right: I didn't! 21.18 was almost a minute slower than of late but still very hard going.
Scraped over the 80% AG but such was today's standard, this was only the 13th best.
Get well soon!
Littlehampton parkrun today. Cold, windy and a bit wet: 20.39. Not bad but spanked by J.Orden over from Brighton.
My last run as a 67 year old!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Thanks mate. This year has been a very good one.
I've got the England vest but have yet to wear it. I think it, quite rightly, makes you a bit of a target, if only for piss taking.
The 'England 10k' is only about 10 weeks away and I need to put in some serious training or it will be a case of imposters syndrome.
Hope that 2023 sees you get in an unbroken and prolonged period of training. Then the results will come.....

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Hats off to anyone running this morning in those conditions: brutal along Worthing prom.

21.15/81.18% was decent in that wind and a good end to a really good year: in 40+ 5ks/parkruns only 2 old gits have beaten me. Mind you, one of them has beaten me 3 times!

My new Garmin tells me that my ave cadence was 201 and my ave heart rate was 168. They sound high? Any comparisons welcome.

Happy New (Running) Year

CoolTed

Nov 2, 2015
Hats off to anyone running this morning in those conditions: brutal along Worthing prom.

21.15/81.18% was decent in that wind and a good end to a really good year: in 40+ 5ks/parkruns only 2 old gits have beaten me. Mind you, one of them has beaten me 3 times!

My new Garmin tells me that my ave cadence was 201 and my ave heart rate was 168. They sound high? Any comparisons welcome.

Happy New (Running) Year
My HR never reaches 170 these days, cadence rarely goes above 172. I've always put my low cadence down to my long legs, but apparently that's no excuse.
Happy New Year everyone.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Ridiculously wet in Hove Park. Somehow managed my 50th parkrun of the year to add to breaking 2000km for the year yesterday.
2022 was a good year - highlights doing the Grizzly for the first time and getting back to sub-4 at the Lisbon Marathon. Plus loved volunteering at Brighton Marathon and the Trail Marathon despite the aftermath.

Next year…Grizzly is booked, strongly considering Three Forts, must get back to Barns Green and probably Ljubljana or Palma, Mallorca marathon in October.

Happy New Year runners and see you at Bevendean in the morning!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Happy New (Running) Year
I'm similar to @CoolTed haven't been above 162 Heart rate for 15 years or so. Cadence 160-180. Without a chest strap the HR readings are not considered reliable.
You can check real HR to watch HR by counting pulse at your wrist (although at 201 you'd probably feel it bouncing your whole body) against a watch immediately after a run. 60 seconds or 30 secondsX2 will do it.
Cadence you can also count number of strides for one minute.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Stuttering 2022 for myself. Achilles heel January, iliac crest February, calf from hallux longus (big toe muscle) issue in April, hamstring through the summer, knee in October.
Ended the year with some good mileage in November and December.
Managed a couple of 75% AG runs and through meticulous selection managed 1st, 2nd, 6th and 7th Parkrun finishes.
Proudest achievement of the year was to avoid meeting @GNT at any races and getting my ass whipped.

Only 9 weeks for the Moyleman......

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Strange 2022 for me in as much I rarely race nowadays.

Volunteering to coach my sons Under 9’s football means weekend races are mostly out of bounds.

Luckily I enjoy the training and the 3 big races I ran I performed well in 2.

X2 marathon PB’s to edge me closer to 3 hours, but at 3:06 a fair way still to go.

Determined to run the Brighton half and marathon well and pick up an early autumn marathon somewhere.

2,063 miles isn’t bad for the year, only slightly down on my best last year.

Hopefully I’ll see a few of you tomorrow morning at Bevendean Park Run.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Strange 2022 for me in as much I rarely race nowadays.

Volunteering to coach my sons Under 9’s football means weekend races are mostly out of bounds.

Luckily I enjoy the training and the 3 big races I ran I performed well in 2.

X2 marathon PB’s to edge me closer to 3 hours, but at 3:06 a fair way still to go.

Determined to run the Brighton half and marathon well and pick up an early autumn marathon somewhere.

2,063 miles isn’t bad for the year, only slightly down on my best last year.

Hopefully I’ll see a few of you tomorrow morning at Bevendean Park Run.

Good year Judas.
Teams #likeNSCWeakestLinkRelay aren't good enough for runners of your calibre. We can only dream of buying you back.
4 pints in Wetherspoons is my initial offer...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Happy New (Running) Year
It was grim.

Left myself a half-marathon to cover today to beat last year’s mileage total.

Drowned rat within about 30 seconds of leaving home and a couple of minutes later a motorist ploughed through a large puddle, sending a tidal wave all over me.

It didn’t get any better and it was a none-too-enjoyable 13.5 mile loop of Worthing.

I finished the year on 3,120.8 miles and on run streak day 1066.

Onto 2023 we go - I’ve found a couple of websites that hook into Strava and map your overall coverage of a town/city or similar geographic area. I think I’ll take on the challenge to cover every inch of every road in Worthing by year end.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
It was grim.

Left myself a half-marathon to cover today to beat last year’s mileage total.

Drowned rat within about 30 seconds of leaving home and a couple of minutes later a motorist ploughed through a large puddle, sending a tidal wave all over me.

It didn’t get any better and it was a none-too-enjoyable 13.5 mile loop of Worthing.

I finished the year on 3,120.8 miles and on run streak day 1066.

Onto 2023 we go - I’ve found a couple of websites that hook into Strava and map your overall coverage of a town/city or similar geographic area. I think I’ll take on the challenge to cover every inch of every road in Worthing by year end.
Impressive stuff but the idea of running every road in Worthing would send me bonkers. The only bits I can stand are the prom (flat, fast) or High Salvington (hilly and relatively traffic free). The suburban stuff in between is not for me.

Cycled to Littlehampton prom for their parkrun today. Even windier than yesterday. The bike ride and wind made the running pretty crap and I ended up with 22.05. Times were pretty slow all round and a 78% AG was still the 3rd best. (Graham Godden turned up.)

As for 3120 mies in the year, goodness me! I've never recorded mine but I doubt if it would hit the 1000 miles target. In fact nearer 500 I think.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I got out on Saturday before the deluge that seemed to catch all parkrunners. Ran the miles I needed to reach 1,000 – happy with that.

Since then I've run a 5km and 10km, so 2023 is off to a good start. I'm also looking to up my marathon count this year, but also get some other races (including, finally/possibly Three Forts! Barns Green is overdue a re-visit too. I'll have to dig out my 2020 list of races (none of which happened) as there were some good ones on there...

Happy running, all!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Crap year of tickover. No races, no long runs, certainly no PBs or improvements although have done a lot more gym work which does seem to be helping the foot a bit and weight has stayed stable. Plans for a good last week and start to the New Year then scuppered by a chest infection which has knocked me out completely 🙄🙄 Would like to try and do a marathon in 2023 (time unimportant) but depends on the AT. We’ll see. 1,340 miles done. Might even contemplate a parkrun at some point just to see how bad things are 😬

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Crap year of tickover. No races, no long runs, certainly no PBs or improvements although have done a lot more gym work which does seem to be helping the foot a bit and weight has stayed stable. Plans for a good last week and start to the New Year then scuppered by a chest infection which has knocked me out completely 🙄🙄 Would like to try and do a marathon in 2023 (time unimportant) but depends on the AT. We’ll see. 1,340 miles done. Might even contemplate a parkrun at some point just to see how bad things are 😬
As a permanent Will Buckley sick note I've kept quiet about having that chest **** up this week.
Managed a third of your annual mileage, which is par.
Be good to see you for a Parkrun. You could set the date for a NSC meet up? Been a long time.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
As a permanent Will Buckley sick note I've kept quiet about having that chest **** up this week.
Managed a third of your annual mileage, which is par.
Be good to see you for a Parkrun. You could set the date for a NSC meet up? Been a long time.
My last one was 2019 I think 😬

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
These good local runners might be known to a lot of you; Alex Jago, James Dicks, Timmy Gedin, Richard Clayton, Gary McKivet and Del Wallace.
They've all just done a mass exit from Arena. First 4 to BHAC and other 2 to Phoenix. 😲

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
These good local runners might be known to a lot of you; Alex Jago, James Dicks, Timmy Gedin, Richard Clayton, Gary McKivet and Del Wallace.
They've all just done a mass exit from Arena. First 4 to BHAC and other 2 to Phoenix. 😲
Why?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here