Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Well done old man sounds fun. I had a fun parkrun on Saturday at Loch Leven. It was a 3 uphill and 3 downhill repeats course on a sharp, chunky and gravelly path. Hard to pace on an unknown course. I tucked in at 8th place behind a couple chatting. I managed to stick with them till one ran free. The other I doggedly chased up the final hill where I slipped past him for the 300m run in. My legs then struggled on the final 50m and he came back at me but I just stayed in front. Very friendly group and a timekeeper born in Hollingbury. 23:23 nowhere near you but I'm happy with that.

Saturday planning on Kirkwall Parkrun on the Orkney Isles. Whilst snooping their results page I saw bloody John Lowden from Brighton won it in September in 19:57. Not bad for 65+. Never met him just heard about him.
Lowden is still very, very rapid. He turned up at Crowborough on Sunday but (thank the Lord) wasn't running: he lives there, but is still a member of one of the Brighton running clubs. I follow him on Strava and he certainly doesn't pile up the miles in training.
With Parkruns I think he tends to turn up once, set the age cat record, and move on. And who wouldn't, if they were good enough?
Good run from you and best of luck for the next one......

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Nike site now has a voucher for 25% off items already in the sale (it’s mentioned on the homepage). Some Vaporfly & Alphafly already have 40% off. Just picked up some Vaporfly for £101 with 10% topcashback to come on top of that (I’ve heard Quidco are offering more, but I don’t use them).

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Nike site now has a voucher for 25% off items already in the sale (it’s mentioned on the homepage). Some Vaporfly & Alphafly already have 40% off. Just picked up some Vaporfly for £101 with 10% topcashback to come on top of that (I’ve heard Quidco are offering more, but I don’t use them).
Thanks for this. Will be returning the pairs I paid 135 for (bought two as u sure of sizing) and have put in another order

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just dug out this thread to say the same.

Standouts for me...

Vaporfly 2s in some colours for £101

Alphaflys in some colours for £121

Invincible 2s for £87

Pegasus 39 for £49

The Invincible is my fantastic shoe. It's designed for easy days and with a big stack of ZoomX it is great for that, but it's pretty responsive if you up the pace too. I've got two pairs in my rotation, one is over 750 miles and still going strong. I've just ordered another pair because £87 is a ridiculous for them.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
A breezy Worthing parkrun today: 20.25. Pleased with this, with km 5 at 3.52 pace.

Well done, is that a PB? We're f***ed without a table.
Good cold windy morning on the Orkney Isles. Managed 21:53ish on a long 3.15 mile course.Met a runner who has moved up here from Portslade and ADAM HOLLAND.

Adam is a lovely bloke and a GB Ultra runner. He holds the British record for Marathons won at over 200 from over 300 and has won many Ultras at up to 220 miles. Has record for fastest time for 10 Marathons in 10 days and beat his own record to get that.
Today he flew in from a nearby island to run in about 16". Not bad for 35-39. I'm in love.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good cold windy morning on the Orkney Isles. Managed 21:53ish on a long 3.15 mile course.Met a runner who has moved up here from Portslade and ADAM HOLLAND.

Adam is a lovely bloke and a GB Ultra runner. He holds the British record for Marathons won at over 200 from over 300 and has won many Ultras at up to 220 miles. Has record for fastest time for 10 Marathons in 10 days and beat his own record to get that.
Today he flew in from a nearby island to run in about 16". Not bad for 35-39. I'm in love.
Seen Adam at several races and would agree. Couple of years ago I was doing a track race, he did a marathon (in about 2.40 for what it’s worth, I remember him lapping me about every 2 mins 😂😂) disappeared for a bit but then came back and - unplanned - did a long shift guiding a slower blind runner round the track.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Don't worry mate. Had it been a PB you'd have been the first know about it (PB/SB is 20.14).
Is your extensive travelling driven by the lust for age cat wins?
When are you due back to civilisation?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Just dug out this thread to say the same.

Standouts for me...

Vaporfly 2s in some colours for £101

Alphaflys in some colours for £121

Invincible 2s for £87

Pegasus 39 for £49

The Invincible is my fantastic shoe. It's designed for easy days and with a big stack of ZoomX it is great for that, but it's pretty responsive if you up the pace too. I've got two pairs in my rotation, one is over 750 miles and still going strong. I've just ordered another pair because £87 is a ridiculous for them.
Hooked!! Just bought a pair of Pegasus 39 (came out at £57 but hey) using your link.
Great price for a reliable and comfortable running shoe.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Don't worry mate. Had it been a PB you'd have been the first know about it (PB/SB is 20.14).
Is your extensive travelling driven by the lust for age cat wins?
When are you due back to civilisation?
Doing the NC500 in the North Highlands with Orkneys detour. Wanted to do it out of season to avoid the crowds and It's been excellent. Unfortunately no Parkrun will be within range next Saturday as we come down the West Coast.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Enjoy! I guess you will target the new year to step up the training?
Yes with an emphasis on mileage and hills over the winter. I'm happy with my form at the moment considering the inability to maintain training this year and ready to slowly kick on.
I should get a 5K SB this December as I only have 21:30 from July to beat and haven't been wearing the cheating shoes since the summer.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I've not got much to report, either. Weekly mileage is way down - for a number of reasons - but I'm committed to reaching 1,000 miles for the year. Just under 50 to go...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Not much to report either. The old walking/running conundrum came up again last week. With a fair level of running fitness i walked up and down a 940m Munro easily enough but then had calves, thighs and buttocks screaming with pain for 4 days. After that a bit of man flu kept me indoors but should be easing back tomorrow.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not much going on here either - bit of a grind to the end of the year to try and beat last year's 3,117 miles.

I need to average a little over 9 miles a day to do that, which is no real bother, although today could be a struggle. I had to retrieve the car from where it was abandoned last night - a 2-mile jog away - and the pavements were slushy and slippery. I don't really fancy another 7 miles of that, particularly as I'm clumsy and accident-prone, so the chances of me going over are quite high.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
First thread posting of December. Not that I've got much to report. A frosty Worthing parkrun, 20.29.
I was running along quite happily until I noticed fellow old git John Orden ran back past me after the turn.
He did 19.48 which was sheer class.
That's good even for JO. You must have spurred him on!
I forgot to tell you the sad news that Paul Gasson has had to retire from running. 8 months of knee problems finally diagnosed as lack of any cartilage. Stopped just shy of 70. Now will concentrate on being track gun starter and supporting all runners.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
That's good even for JO. You must have spurred him on!
I forgot to tell you the sad news that Paul Gasson has had to retire from running. 8 months of knee problems finally diagnosed as lack of any cartilage. Stopped just shy of 70. Now will concentrate on being track gun starter and supporting all runners.
Wasn't/isn't he your big rival, Gaffer?

Another three and a bit for me this morning. It's a bit like the PL tracker on here some seasons, I'm inching my way over the 1,000-mile line to avoid relegation to the second tier...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here