Page 1242 of 1246 FirstFirst ... 2427421142119212321239124012411242124312441245 ... LastLast
Results 12,411 to 12,420 of 12454

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dazzer6666 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure I agree. Even when in full 100 mile training mode my plan has at least one ‘productive’ speed/interval session in it, if not more, and the added endurance training means quicker short-race times due to improved aerobic endurance (“meaning you can hang on for longer” in the words of my coach). Don’t neglect speed sessions when training for marathons?

An eyeballs-out parkrun once or twice a month won’t impact any marathon training. Recovery time is really less than 24 hours.......and even if you do feel it a but the following day in your long run, that’s to the benefit of your endurance training.
    I think the difference is that you are incredibly experienced at extremely long distances, whereas I’ve been hitting 30km for the first few times in the last three weeks and it’s hit my body a bit. For the first time I am urgently needing rest days and I simply haven’t been able to throw everything at Parkrun in the last few weeks as I’ve still been recovering. So I think what you say is true for you and I think it will be true for me soon, but only when I’m more comfortable at 30k+ so that it isn’t hurting my body and I can enjoy the benefits of it over 5k.

Maybe a more accurate thing for me to have said would be that it is hard to train for a fast 5k while increasing your long runs, rather than simply doing long runs.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Complete Badger View Post
      I think the difference is that you are incredibly experienced at extremely long distances, whereas Iíve been hitting 30km for the first few times in the last three weeks and itís hit my body a bit. For the first time I am urgently needing rest days and I simply havenít been able to throw everything at Parkrun in the last few weeks as Iíve still been recovering. So I think what you say is true for you and I think it will be true for me soon, but only when Iím more comfortable at 30k+ so that it isnít hurting my body and I can enjoy the benefits of it over 5k.

Maybe a more accurate thing for me to have said would be that it is hard to train for a fast 5k while increasing your long runs, rather than simply doing long runs.
      Yeah good points....and donít neglect the rest days, they are critical.

I bet your 5k time improves as you get into the longer distance programme.

Oh, and youíd still easily beat me over most distances
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"

1 Not allowed!
      I get what you're all saying about a speed session in my training - and I'll do my best - but it's the time I (don't) have to dedicate to it. The swimming and cycling should help a bit in terms of strength to push on a bit though.

Talking of pushing on, I didn't in any way, shape or form this morning. Chatting with @Simgull, @Ninga Elephant and @knocky1 sowed the seed of some hills so I did the Snakey-Woodlands (both bits) double. I still 'ran' up all the hills, but averaged over 10/min miles over half marathon distance...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      I'll join the @The Complete Badger 5k potential sweepstake.
      He's improved at a faster rate than Ninja last year. He's racking up the miles like Dazzer. He's feeling it at the moment as it's new to the body, so needs more recovery.

I find I can get to 5-10% of potential for a 5k during marathon training. So for the C badger sub 20 In the next few months and sub19 by the end of the year.

Just listen to your body, as you are, or your progress chart could end up looking like the Bitcoin graph. Steady stepped improvement is the aim.

I wish my legs were like an uncontrollable Ferrari.......
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Duplicate post.

3 Not allowed!
      Whilst the impromptu NSC party was going on at hove, I was freezing my bejangles off at Worthing. I was shivering so much in the icy wind before the start I even thought about going straight back to the car.
      Was quite a big turn out at Worthing, 397, with a bunch of new (years Resolution?) Starters.
      Started slow not wanting to pull anything and warmed up quickly once I got going. Really pushed myself in the last 1km managed 23.05.
      Then continued with a steady run on to lancing green and back and extended my run to 10k.

Even beat the traffic warden who was sniffing around my car with 5 minutes to go .... So all in all not a bad morning in the end.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
      Fake News Police Ninja Elephant's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
      I went out for an 11 miler today to get me to 40 miles for the week. My target was 8 minutes per mile and came in bang on the money, there were a few miles which were off (Manor Hill was always going to be a struggle!) but generally I was pretty close and felt strong throughout. I'm feeling on course to take on @big nuts over the Half at Worthing, and that's all that really matters to me right now.

This time next year, @The Complete Badger will be targeting ruining us both!
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Elephant View Post
      I went out for an 11 miler today to get me to 40 miles for the week. My target was 8 minutes per mile and came in bang on the money, there were a few miles which were off (Manor Hill was always going to be a struggle!) but generally I was pretty close and felt strong throughout. I'm feeling on course to take on @big nuts over the Half at Worthing, and that's all that really matters to me right now.

This time next year, @The Complete Badger will be targeting ruining us both!
      I was a mile behind you today. Had a good run out in perfect conditions from Patcham along to the Sealife centre then up and over Grand Ave before returning home.

Was able to run a couple of consecutive sub 7 minute miles along the front without it feeling to punishing, so I’m in decent enough condition to give Ninja a run for his money. Average pace 7:08 across the ten miles.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2434366374
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Ran the 4th leg of the East Sussex cross country league at black cap lewes yesterday, 5.4 miles of pure racing for the club. Beautiful morning and great camaraderie. Decent performance and knee brace working well, (7:42 min mile ave). Now to start on longer runs for first half marathon.
      Members

4 Not allowed!
      I did 15 miles on Sunday, time was not important was out to enjoy and keep the mileage up. Did the first 6 miles with some fellow West Hoathly runners, when they turned for home, I went the opposite way. Was please to increase the speed from miles 6-11 and then happy with the final few miles which are pretty much all up hill. I have a weekly target of 22 miles so ticked that off, have a few to make up from early January as was feeling rather poop!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1356499101

Still planning to try and get some decent park runs in this year, will possibly look to do Preston Park this Saturday before Chelsea but not definite yet. My main goal at the moment is to prepare for the Brighton Marathon and my initial target of sub 4.20 (need to find 8 minutes). Also linking this in to my other big goal of lose one stone in 2018!
      Mark R
      England Away For all my England match reports and quite a few pictures!!