Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
When I drove by you near the end of your run at M&S petrol station I thought you looked very hot and distressed. Thought it was from months of not running not a dodgy watch.:lol::lol:

Keep at it. You're going to need to be extremely fit to keep up with that small bundle of energy you now have.

:lolol:

Exactly, I'd had it.

The idea I'd done an 8 min mile on my first run back is ridiculous. Still, if it's on Strava :lol:

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
First run of the year for me. I got a Fenix 6 for my birthday and today is the first time I've used it for running. Does anyone else have one? It measured the first mile WAY short. I ran what I know is a 5k, yet it measured the run as 3.5 miles and the middle mile way short which gave me an 8 min mile dead. I've not run one of those in a while.

Will it sort itself out?

As it’s new, maybe check all the settings carefully - how frequently it collects the data and which GPS system it’s using? On a Garmin these can changed to trade off accuracy vs. battery life.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Well I’m guilty of not contributing to the thread much in the last few months…….although still lurk occasionally. AT continues to slowly improve, I’m still just doing mostly ‘maintenance plodding’ with not much effort or volume at all at the moment. Definitely need to lose some lard and get cracking but low on mojo at the moment- haven’t run an event of any kind since bailing my last one on the track in July. Need a kick up the jacksie.

I hope you can pick things up again this year. I am with you on the slight lack of running mojo recently. I've just been ticking over the last few months and last year I only did about 1600km, which is far less than previous years.

I have just realised I'm only 10 weeks from my next event, a 30km race in Hamilton (Ontario) called Around The Bay. Apparently it's been going even longer than the Boston Marathon, so it's one of those things which needs ticking off here. This has made me start getting the weekend long runs going again. Yesterday was the first time I've hit half marathon distance since late summer. It was nice to get back up to distance even though it was about -8C and I had to tiptoe across a few big puddles of ice.

I should find out about Berlin tomorrow.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I hope you can pick things up again this year. I am with you on the slight lack of running mojo recently. I've just been ticking over the last few months and last year I only did about 1600km, which is far less than previous years.

I have just realised I'm only 10 weeks from my next event, a 30km race in Hamilton (Ontario) called Around The Bay. Apparently it's been going even longer than the Boston Marathon, so it's one of those things which needs ticking off here. This has made me start getting the weekend long runs going again. Yesterday was the first time I've hit half marathon distance since late summer. It was nice to get back up to distance even though it was about -8C and I had to tiptoe across a few big puddles of ice.

I should find out about Berlin tomorrow.

Plodded a few slow miles this morning, was as slippery as heck around mid Sussex too….almost went over a few times. I managed about 1,600 miles last year I think, around 3-400 down due to the injury meaning lower volume (basically no long runs). I’ve got a 50m race booked in April and a 100k race in May but not at all sure I’ll be in any shape for either of them atm. I need to extend my current 2hr max in the next couple of weeks and see what happens.

Around the Bay looks ace

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Great session on the sickos bench today.
Every run I've done since my Xmas return has ended in severe hip pain and needed 5 days rest. Thinking back I had this pain in September when running with the sore achilles but just ran through them both till the achilles stopped working.
Tensor Fascia Lata (TFL) was the problem. https://www.atlecko.com/injury/hip-groin-pain/tfl-pain/
This muscle in the back is just above the ITB and controls that and hip rotation.
Nothing beats the instant release of a tight corkscrewed muscle.:rave::rave:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I think there's a handful of NSC Runners in for Manchester. It would be great to get a chance to say hello. :bigwave:

All the best with the training and enjoy the Alphafly's!

I missed this post before, but yes, I'd be up for a pre/post-race 'hello'.

In other Manchester news (not really to do with actual running), our Airbnb cancelled on us this morning, which is a right ballache! No doubt we'll get stung for anywhere new, given it's relatively close and the best/closest places will all be gone...

FFS! :rant:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Great session on the sickos bench today.
Every run I've done since my Xmas return has ended in severe hip pain and needed 5 days rest. Thinking back I had this pain in September when running with the sore achilles but just ran through them both till the achilles stopped working.
Tensor Fascia Lata (TFL) was the problem. https://www.atlecko.com/injury/hip-groin-pain/tfl-pain/
This muscle in the back is just above the ITB and controls that and hip rotation.
Nothing beats the instant release of a tight corkscrewed muscle.:rave::rave:

I guess you have to take your pleasure where you can!

Any indication of when you'll be off the bench?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Don't know if any of you were following Sorokin's exploits at the weekend, but he set another 100 mile and then a 12 hour world record. This is copied from the US 24 Running team's facebook page. It's mind-blowing.

We are still wrapping our minds around Sania Sorokin’s latest two world records. Searching for something most everyone can relate to, we settled on a 5k. 3.1 miles. A solid, approachable distance.

Sorokin’s 12 Hour WR (110.24 miles/177.41km) can be simply broken down to a 5k at his pace - 6.32/mile or 4.04/km. It does means we have to run the 5k in 20 minutes, 20 seconds.

…… then run another 5k,

then another 5k, then another 5k,
(Still at 20:20 pace without stopping…..)
then another 5k,
then a 2.41k….. done. ����
Hope that helped.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Good running updates on here today.

I entered the 2022 Brighton Marathon for the umpteenth time last night.

Just hope it goes ahead on the planned date in April.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Yes in 2020 except that was the Southern Championshiop. This year the Nationals are in London. Main advantage being 7.5 miles this year instead of 9.
Something to train for even if I don’t do it.

So you'll be representing Arena I guess (and NSC of course). I'd have thought you'd be even happier with something like 3k. Sounds good though, and you'll be in with - by definition - top runners.

Are you going to resume parkruns yet and include them as part of your structured training programme?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
So you'll be representing Arena I guess (and NSC of course). I'd have thought you'd be even happier with something like 3k. Sounds good though, and you'll be in with - by definition - top runners.

Are you going to resume parkruns yet and include them as part of your structured training programme?

I'm out again. :lol::lol:

Since the hip work I feel as if I have been kicked in the hips by a steel toe capped boot. Feeling good otherwise and just have to relax, be patient and wait a bit longer.

Good weather for Worthing Prom tomorrow morning. Good luck and to everyone else. I might even get enough results to start the 2022 table.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Since the hip work I feel as if I have been kicked in the hips by a steel toe capped boot. Feeling good otherwise and just have to relax, be patient and wait a bit longer.

Good weather for Worthing Prom tomorrow morning. Good luck and to everyone else. I might even get enough results to start the 2022 table.

I used to go to a chiropractor who basically beat the shit out of me. The next day was the worst and then came the improvement. As you say, patience.......

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Well, Gaffer, if you were thinking about starting the 2022 table..........

Worthing 20.42, AG 82.53% (PB)

Worthing has been rated (Athletics Week) as the 17th fastest course in the country and there were quite a few rather rapid Parkrun tourists enjoying it.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012

Hopefully not too long to wait, what happened to that Jesus chap? The physio that used to perform miracles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here