Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm in for the Mince Pie already, but if you have no takers for the entry by next week, then let me know. I know a fair few who missed out by being too late to enter.

Sorry they won't allow the transfer of numbers this year.
I'm considering doing it now. Had a look at previous results and should have enough time to jog/walk round. Better than sitting on my a**e.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Still hobbling a bit from time to time but as an update the LLLT on the achilles does seem to be helping. Weekly mileage over 30 last week (plus about the same again walking on non-running days) without too much drama and doing one 2 hour run a week, only bad day was being dragged out Xmas shopping where boredom led me to do 35,000 steps so perhaps a bit too long on my feet. Going to have one more session of treatment then a break to see how things settle.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Maverick Amberley was fun. Freezing cold at the start but although some sections were exposed to the wind, quite a bit was through forests so well sheltered. The run starts with two big climbs, I probably went too hard at these and struggled a bit towards the end. Finished in 2:15, 65th out of 160 or so.

It was a shame that it was so cold at the end as there was a good selection of food and drink stalls and fire pits to hang around afterwards but we just wanted to get home and warm up. Three of our group did return later for the ‘dark’ races - rather them than me! Maverick do put on excellent events - a bit more laid back than Centurion.

Mince Pie to look forward to on Sunday.

D

Deleted member 2719

Me on the black stuff this morning while out for a run.

Attachments

• funny-slide.gif
    funny-slide.gif
    425.3 KB · Views: 83

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Still hobbling a bit from time to time but as an update the LLLT on the achilles does seem to be helping. Weekly mileage over 30 last week (plus about the same again walking on non-running days) without too much drama and doing one 2 hour run a week, only bad day was being dragged out Xmas shopping where boredom led me to do 35,000 steps so perhaps a bit too long on my feet. Going to have one more session of treatment then a break to see how things settle.

That's impressive mileage. Yesterday for the first time in 3 months my achilles felt normal. The non stop flexing, stretching and calf raises finally had got somewhere. After 10 weeks without a run I had to give it a test. I gingerly set off and before I knew it I had foolishly run 6 miles at 9"-10" mile pace. No soreness at all and this morning still no soreness.

Very happy to be f***** from running again and still considering the Mince Pie on Sunday as a training walk/run.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That's impressive mileage. Yesterday for the first time in 3 months my achilles felt normal. The non stop flexing, stretching and calf raises finally had got somewhere. After 10 weeks without a run I had to give it a test. I gingerly set off and before I knew it I had foolishly run 6 miles at 9"-10" mile pace. No soreness at all and this morning still no soreness.

Very happy to be f***** from running again and still considering the Mince Pie on Sunday as a training walk/run.

Good to hear.....I'm nowhere near out of the woods yet but can at least plod a bit. Tried some intervals this morning (plus a speed test last week)....in horrendous shape. Won't be going near ParkRun any time soon :D

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good to hear.....I'm nowhere near out of the woods yet but can at least plod a bit. Tried some intervals this morning (plus a speed test last week)....in horrendous shape. Won't be going near ParkRun any time soon :D

I might use my brother’s Parkrun barcode for a couple of months. 🥸 😎

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Good news. I suspect that if you do the MP 10 you'll have to be physically restrained from running the whole thing. Which might not be a good thing.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good news. I suspect that if you do the MP 10 you'll have to be physically restrained from running the whole thing. Which might not be a good thing.

I ran 6 miles Monday stopping every mile to check achilles was OK.
Wednesday ran 7 miles only stopping twice to check. The pace went from 9:15 mile with the wind to a 10:00 mile pace coming back.
So should get to finish. There are two mile long uphill slogs and I'll happily walk on them.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Lovely to be able to get outside post-Covid for a little jog this morning after a 4 week enforced break. Will be taking it super easy and building up slowly. 17 weeks til Manchester Marathon so plenty of time to try to get in marathon shape again. :D

Also accepted my London Marathon 2022 Good For Age place this morning. :rave:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Worthing parkrun. 21.01/80.57% age grade. 19th out of 290, which is high for me. Age category win and 2nd best age grade in the field. Went out a bit fast into the wind and paid for it later.
The winner looked awesome - but no time or name recorded. Perhaps he was embarrassed at hammering everyone!

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
I ran 6 miles Monday stopping every mile to check achilles was OK.
Wednesday ran 7 miles only stopping twice to check. The pace went from 9:15 mile with the wind to a 10:00 mile pace coming back.
So should get to finish. There are two mile long uphill slogs and I'll happily walk on them.

Good to see you back running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Thanks. I gave the Mince Pie a miss today. Had the booster yesterday and a sore arm and being slightly heady were enough to stop me huffing and puffing at the back of the field.

Sorry you didn’t make it and hope you feel better soon.

Mince Pie was its usual fun self -it always feels like the start of Christmas to me and it’s the event you’ll see almost everyone you know who runs - having said that apart from [MENTION=25508]soistes[/MENTION] I didn’t see any NSC runners? See below*

It was a tale of two halves this morning in testing conditions (although nothing like that crazy 60mph wind day a few years back!!!). The first half all seemed to be up hill into the wind and so felt hard whereas the return was mainly downhill with the wind behind you. Hence a massive negative split, running the last 4 miles in under 7:30’s. Finished just under 1:20 - not my best but pretty pleased in those conditions.

We now have our club Beer Mile on Wednesday and the our version of today, the Mud Pie 10, to look forward to before Christmas.

*EDIT - just saw the results and saw that a certain [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] did rather well - don’t know how I missed you but congratulations! I won’t steal your thunder!

Last edited:

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

Mince Pie was its usual fun self -it always feels like the start of Christmas to me and it’s the event you’ll see almost everyone you know who runs - having said that apart from [MENTION=25508]soistes[/MENTION] I didn’t see any NSC runners? See below*

It was a tale of two halves this morning in testing conditions (although nothing like that crazy 60mph wind day a few years back!!!). The first half all seemed to be up hill into the wind and so felt hard whereas the return was mainly downhill with the wind behind you. Hence a massive negative split, running the last 4 miles in under 7:30’s. Finished just under 1:20 - not my best but pretty pleased in those conditions.

We now have our club Beer Mile on Wednesday and the our version of today, the Mud Pie 10, to look forward to before Christmas.

*EDIT - just saw the results and saw that a certain [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] did rather well - don’t know how I missed you but congratulations! I won’t steal your thunder!

Good to see you, albeit briefly this morning. Lovely event as always. I really struggled and probably shouldn’t have run it, as my Achilles is still a bit problematic, and it kicked in big time on that annoying incline around 10km in, in the middle of Saltdean. It meant I wasn’t able to benefit properly from the gentle downhill with the wind behind in the last few km, and after the finish I was struggling to walk properly. Great atmosphere though, and followed with a convivial Sunday lunch at the Smugglers with a large group of other runners, so overall a positive day. Back to the physio next week ….

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Thank you. Really enjoyed the race once again. Conditions were tough, but if you ran the 2017 race it was nothing in comparison.

Managed a best finish of 8th, just ahead of my 9th last year.

The top five get a Christmas pudding so work to be done for next year.

A good end to the year for races, now just building up slowly for the Brighton Half & Manchester Marathon in April.

Bit late in reporting this, but after a disappointing Brighton marathon when I had to drop out, a few weeks later I did a 1.48 in the Brighton half-marathon, a PB that I was extra pleased with as was nursing a calf strain from about 5 miles (which two months on, still is not quite gone).

It's been a very tough couple of years for many folk but, like quite a few, I took the big global shock as a sign that I should really get my shit together on my health, weight and finess to confront this big unknown.

My Brighton Half Marathon results over the years:
2013 (aged 47) 2 hours: 04 minutes. 43 seconds
2014 (aged 48) 2:07.55
2015 (aged 49) 2:03.10 (short course and invalidated as PB)
2016 (aged 50) 1:59.32 (short course and invalidated as PB)
2021 (aged 55) 1:48.45 (hence a PB by 16 minutes)

Just a statistical representation of how the long commute lifestyle to London is really time-poor unhealthy for you, while homeworking allows you the work-life balance to properly work on the really important stuff of health and fitness. Long may that new balance continue, even after the global shock is over

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Talking with one of my colleagues this morning who marshaled the MP10 yesterday, and was one of the organizers. He was saying he will report back about the jams at Saltdean football club to see if there is a way around it for next years race. I was up at the club for my lads football match and the finish of that game / the start of 2 others, coincided with a lot of runners reaching the club (about 11.30-45). It wasn't the safest area for anyone as loads of cars were trying to get in and out - along what is a very narrow pot holed lane - which meant a few of the runners were dodging in and around vehicles, or having to stop completely. Luckily you can only drive slowly along there, but I had to keep my wits about me as I was trying to avoid the big holes, and also keep an eye open on either side for runners zooming past me!

Looked a great event though, and one of my other colleagues finished in a very respectable time on his first attempt at running it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here