Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
I find the gels make me a bit queasy, have heard of other people suffering from dodgy stomachs after taking them.

If they're out of date, they can't play havoc and very quickly.

The first, and only time, I had an out of date one (I knew it was but thought it would be fine) I nearly shit my pants near Firle Beacon within 15mins of consuming it. I had to find some cover and have a explosive dump using mother-earth's moss and leafs to clean myself up. Nasty.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Attachments

• images-4.jpeg
    images-4.jpeg
    1.9 KB · Views: 235

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I don't suppose anyone has a spare place, or knows of someone that has a spare place for Brighton half?

Also, has anyone got decent routes for 10 mile+ runs in Brighton? I usually run to Shoreham Power Station and back but f*** me is that grim, and I'm pretty bored of running along the sea front.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Ran with the Brighton marathon group yesterday.
Was some 200 of us.
Chose the longer route of 14.5 miles & ran 2 miles to start & home.
Brighton is just one of 12 marathons for me this year.
Running my first in Braintree in 2 weeks time which will be no:38.

I will be doing the Braintree Bog-gle on Sunday as well.
I have 1 per month in my plans up until October (though some of them are a bit longer than 26.2)

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
What gels/tablets would people recommend? I did 10 miles on Saturday and I reckon I'm at the point where I should start experimenting with these.

Definitely recommend experimenting with a few different makes of gel to see which works for you. Tried Decathlon's own, was very thick consistency and made me feel sick, but another variety (cant remember the name) was a lot thinner and worked fine. What I wouldnt do is leave the experimenting to race day, not only to see what works, but also it takes a bit of getting used to sucking on the go! Took one every 5 miles on my first/only marathon last September and did me just fine.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
I don't suppose anyone has a spare place, or knows of someone that has a spare place for Brighton half?

Also, has anyone got decent routes for 10 mile+ runs in Brighton? I usually run to Shoreham Power Station and back but f*** me is that grim, and I'm pretty bored of running along the sea front.

Try map my run? It normally has loads of plotted runs in loads of locations.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
does anyone know how to refer my place until next year?

I've been suffering with a virus for the last 5 weeks so still haven't started my training

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
haven't read all the thread but I would recommend 'ride shots' instead of gels, they are like a sweet with a soft center. I put one in the side of my mouth evry 2/3 miles for a long run. No problem with queeziness, there are some solid blocks as well.

DanielT

I am only on page 1 of this thread, so if its been posted already, sorry! But on both Android and iphone there is an app called RunKeeper. Normally a tenner but free during January. Its rated very well. GPS for tracking your runs & times

Worth a look for nothing, but only until the 31st Jan, hence my posting before I have read the whole thread!

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Am doing my first marathon in April (Brighton). Am up to 14.5 miles distance in training, having never done a marathon before I'm wondering if I'm on schedule. If you are doing the Brighton marathon this year would you be good enough to let me know what sort of distances you are currently doing..................cheers.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
haven't read all the thread but I would recommend 'ride shots' instead of gels, they are like a sweet with a soft center. I put one in the side of my mouth evry 2/3 miles for a long run. No problem with queeziness, there are some solid blocks as well.

Are these as good as gels CWWW?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Am doing my first marathon in April (Brighton). Am up to 14.5 miles distance in training, having never done a marathon before I'm wondering if I'm on schedule. If you are doing the Brighton marathon this year would you be good enough to let me know what sort of distances you are currently doing..................cheers.

You're doing fine. I literally got up to 15 miles tonight so we're almost at the same point; I'm on my 3rd 26 miler.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thanks Herr, Which retail outlet supplies these little beauties?

I get them from the newsagents on the corner of St Aubyns and Church Road in Hove. They have the full Bobbys range so you can also buy Onion Rings and Salt and Vinegar Spirals.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I've just checked and your marathon is the week before mine...so you're actually ahead of me by a week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here