Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
That’s being a member of groups. I just want to admire an 80% runner performance.

Select 'Privacy Controls' to choose between 'Everyone,' 'Only You' or 'Followers. ' On the mobile app, go to the activity and select 'Edit. ' Tap on 'Privacy Controls' to choose between 'Everyone,' 'Only You' or 'Followers.

Many thanks for the detailed guidance. A quick visit confirmed that I'll only ever be a very occasional lurker! (Confession: I am a Grade A Technophobe.)

With respect to my training and racing, here is the guts of it

1. Find the fastest parkrun course around, and preferably one that you live near.

2. Buy a decent pair of trainers for the first time in your life.

3. Wait for windless days.

4. Chase someone who is faster than you, and preferably over from Brighton.

5. In training follow steps 1,2 and 3 and throw in a bit of cross-training on the rower.

Plus (the golden ticket)

6. Wait for your next birthday without losing too much pace.

Hope to hear some good news from you today after your consultation...............

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Hello everyone,

Might I ask for any recommendations for a decent waterproof running jacket. Probably going to have to clock up a fair few miles in the rain this winter. I'm looking at the OMM Halo jacket which seems to have decent reviews but fancy I need something a bit nore reflective.

Thanks in advance like!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Hello everyone,

Might I ask for any recommendations for a decent waterproof running jacket. Probably going to have to clock up a fair few miles in the rain this winter. I'm looking at the OMM Halo jacket which seems to have decent reviews but fancy I need something a bit nore reflective.

Thanks in advance like!

Ooh good question - I think this may be my Christmas present this year so also looking for recommendations. Also must meet mandatory kit requirements for ultras ie ‘taped seams’ I think.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It all depends who they are? Even worse to be running at half the pace that you have done in the past...............I see you are a fellow Worthing resident. Do you run the prom often?

I am a seasonal runner. Tend to be in the gym 4-5 times a week for CrossFit-esque training so don’t tend to run, but will go through spells (like lockdowns) where I got the bug for a bit. But if I’m away then will pack my runners to get out and about.

But yes seldomly will do the Wallace Ave - around the pier and back route, or over Ferring/Kingston Gorse routes

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I am a seasonal runner. Tend to be in the gym 4-5 times a week for CrossFit-esque training so don’t tend to run, but will go through spells (like lockdowns) where I got the bug for a bit. But if I’m away then will pack my runners to get out and about.

But yes seldomly will do the Wallace Ave - around the pier and back route, or over Ferring/Kingston Gorse routes

All good. What sort of X-fit stuff do you do? (Wrong thread, I know!)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Many thanks for the detailed guidance. A quick visit confirmed that I'll only ever be a very occasional lurker! (Confession: I am a Grade A Technophobe.)

Hope to hear some good news from you today after your consultation...............

Very good news! I've been told NOT to run the Worthing 10K Sunday.

Bit of scar tissue removed from around the achilles today. Flexibility improved massively. Have to not run for another week and then return for assessment. Looking very hopeful. Will do speed walking Devil's Dyke to Truleigh Hill over the week to try and get some fitness back for the rehab programme.

Good luck at the weekend for your David Bedford 5k and 10k challenge. I'm a marshall on the Prom tomorrow if anyone wants to shout hello.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Very good news! I've been told NOT to run the Worthing 10K Sunday.

Bit of scar tissue removed from around the achilles today. Flexibility improved massively. Have to not run for another week and then return for assessment. Looking very hopeful. Will do speed walking Devil's Dyke to Truleigh Hill over the week to try and get some fitness back for the rehab programme.

Good luck at the weekend for your David Bedford 5k and 10k challenge. I'm a marshall on the Prom tomorrow if anyone wants to shout hello.

Good news indeed. Back hammering around the track within a fortnight...........! (But don't overdo it.)

Re Worthing, that takes one V60 out of the race. Even at the top of my game I'd be lucky to get into the first 5 of the V60-69s.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good news indeed. Back hammering around the track within a fortnight...........! (But don't overdo it.)

Re Worthing, that takes one V60 out of the race. Even at the top of my game I'd be lucky to get into the first 5 of the V60-69s.

John Orden is the Arena over 60s man in form 3:26:00 Brighton Marathon, won the Arena 3000m in the summer and caght PG at the Goodwood XC. Not sure if he's entered Worthing but sub 43 would be on the cards.

Last edited:

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance like!

Ooh good question - I think this may be my Christmas present this year so also looking for recommendations. Also must meet mandatory kit requirements for ultras ie ‘taped seams’ I think.

OMM gear is very nice indeed and their HALO jacket looks sweet. Very tempting.

I have the Salomon Bonatti running jacket which I really like - https://www.salomon.com/en-gb/shop-emea/product/bonatti-wp-jkt-m.html#color=59328

Super lightweight, waterproof & breathable. Keeps me warm and dry over the winter months. Love the hood. I'm a Small but decided to go Medium to accommodate a couple of layers underneath without the jacket feeling too tight. I'm not sure how reflective they are though. I think it meets ultra mandatory kit requirements [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] but will have a look.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
John Orden is the Arena over 60s man in form 3:26:00 Brighton Marathon, won the Arena 3000m in the summer and caght PG at the Goodwood XC. Not sure if he's entered Worthing but sub 43 would be on the cards.

I know the name but can escape him in Parkruns in the 65-69 age cat. Hoping he'll be running the Brighton HM tomorrow..........

The quality of the field in the Worthing PR was adversely impacted by the runners taking a (sensible) rest day before the events tomorrow. My 20.41 would usually be around 30th but today put me in the giddy heights of 16th.

It gained me an 81.87% AG which (for now!) edges me ahead of Artie. This was the 2nd best in today's field, beaten only by Graham Godden who is in a different league.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Beautiful conditions at Hove Park this morning prompted an SB 21:23 and AG 71.86% which should be good enough to push me up the table a couple of places. 28th place and a rare, for Hove Park, age category win may be a result of tomorrow’s HM abut you can only beat the opposition in front of you right? (Although it is a run not a race, of course).

Good luck to HM runners tomorrow, conditions look perfect. I expect ‘form of his life’ [MENTION=3975]ben[/MENTION]EltonsBrother will be requesting a significant table update tomorrow. I’ll be on the water stand at mile 9 or 11 either side of the west end of Hove Lawns.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I know the name but can escape him in Parkruns in the 65-69 age cat. Hoping he'll be running the Brighton HM tomorrow..........

The quality of the field in the Worthing PR was adversely impacted by the runners taking a (sensible) rest day before the events tomorrow. My 20.41 would usually be around 30th but today put me in the giddy heights of 16th.

It gained me an 81.87% AG which (for now!) edges me ahead of Artie. This was the 2nd best in today's field, beaten only by Graham Godden who is in a different league.

You ruin every weekend for me. Only positive is PG beat you by a second today. #TeamGasson

Well done and hope you feel it tomorrow.:lol:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Beautiful conditions at Hove Park this morning prompted an SB 21:23 and AG 71.86% which should be good enough to push me up the table a couple of places. 28th place and a rare, for Hove Park, age category win may be a result of tomorrow’s HM abut you can only beat the opposition in front of you right? (Although it is a run not a race, of course).

Good luck to HM runners tomorrow, conditions look perfect. I expect ‘form of his life’ [MENTION=3975]ben[/MENTION]EltonsBrother will be requesting a significant table update tomorrow. I’ll be on the water stand at mile 9 or 11 either side of the west end of Hove Lawns.

Good running. You must be due to knock 30 seconds off that by my reckoning.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

You're on fire. Awaiting the race report but impressed with your result. 2nd in category with 43:47

Saw another on fire runner in the Brighton Half [MENTION=1508]BenElton'sBrother[/MENTION] bombing along the Kingsway.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
You're on fire. Awaiting the race report but impressed with your result. 2nd in category with 43:47

Saw another on fire runner in the Brighton Half [MENTION=1508]BenElton'sBrother[/MENTION] bombing along the Kingsway.

Thanks. Great conditions. Really genuinely surprised with that time. Had a bit left in the legs at the end too. Usually this one is run in sub-Saharan temperatures. Lots of PBs today, I reckon. (And at Brighton too,)

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Thanks. Great conditions. Really genuinely surprised with that time. Had a bit left in the legs at the end too. Usually this one is run in sub-Saharan temperatures. Lots of PBs today, I reckon. (And at Brighton too,)

Well done today and you’re right, great conditions. I couldn’t quite cash in with a PB, but got close enough to be pleased with my time.

I’d have probably gone better in the half with recent marathon training, but this was a good test.

A far better runner and coach once said to me once ‘if you want to improve at running, race lots of 10k’s’.

Hopefully there is some truth in that.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well I'll wait a while for some more times to come in before kicking [MENTION=11816]Artie Fufkin[/MENTION] off the top of the AG League nd placing @GNT back in Gold place..........

Twitchy feet after a weekend of spectating runners. Achilles still letting itself be felt, so I'm taking up power walking and patiently waiting for a return to running.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Well done today and you’re right, great conditions. I couldn’t quite cash in with a PB, but got close enough to be pleased with my time.

I’d have probably gone better in the half with recent marathon training, but this was a good test.

A far better runner and coach once said to me once ‘if you want to improve at running, race lots of 10k’s’.

Hopefully there is some truth in that.

Thanks. I'm sure that PB is awaiting collection!

Interesting point about the importance of racing 10k for a general uplift in performance. I've been doing weekly 'flat out' (but still slow) 10ks in training this year and it might be the key to my recent improvement in 5k. I've never gone a single metre over 10k in any run for over a year.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Well I'll wait a while for some more times to come in before kicking [MENTION=11816]Artie Fufkin[/MENTION] off the top of the AG League nd placing @GNT back in Gold place..........

Twitchy feet after a weekend of spectating runners. Achilles still letting itself be felt, so I'm taking up power walking and patiently waiting for a return to running.

Understood, gaffer.

There is a race walker in his 60s who bombs along Worthing prom. I 've been told he's number 1 for his age in the country and he is really very impressive. A few years back when for some reason I couldn't run, I tried walking as fast as I could. (I'm naturally a very slow walker.) The result was very painful as my foot swelled up and I was plunging it it a bucket of ice water for around a week. So be careful...............

I put that 10k time through the Grubb formula yesterday an it just scraped an 80% which really surprised me - especially given that 2 weeks ago I ran a 'short' 10k race 7 minutes slower. But that was x-country.

Mrs GNT had me shovelling manure onto the allotment yesterday afternoon as a 'reward' for my 10k effort.

BenElton'sBrother

Nov 30, 2003
Hove

Thanks for the encouragement out on the course yesterday Gaffer [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] :thumbsup:

Very happy with how yesterday turned out, knocked 7 minutes off the HM PB, down to 1.32.31. A bit cooler and breezier than I was expecting, the sun came out just at the off and had my shades on ready for things to warm up, the sun promptly disappeared for the next 13 miles so that was a decision well made! The splits for each full mile ranged from 6.55 to 7.13 so pretty happy with the consistency I achieved. The volunteers were their usual brilliant selves, big shout out to [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] at the 11 mile water station :) That's a 2021 PB in each of my four distances now in the bag, took another 5 seconds off of my 5K time a week back so now to the excitement of table update requests....

Well that was a lot of changes! Let me know if I've missed any or ballsed anything up.

5K - 20.33 (AG 67.40)
10K - 43.03 (from the Phoenix in July)
HM - 1.32.31
M - to split hairs my time should be 3.28.03 - when I say should be I mean it should be sub 3.25 but I'm over this now :lolol:

Thanks in advance for the update Gaffer.
Cheers guys and happy running!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here