Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Great stuff. A Lazarus-like comeback from the physio's bench. You are obviously very sharp at the middle distances. Luckily it won't come down to a sprint on Saturday as you should be (well) in front of me by then. But will it be minute?
I love the idea of the 'most professional baton change' award!
Talking of Ms Muir, she rocked up at the Worthing PR last Saturday. I was closing on her in the first half, with a tail wind, but couldn't close the gap. And then my time as an Izzie-stalker came in useful: I recalled that she hates running into the wind - and duly eased past her on the journey back into the breeze.

Let no-one accuse the NSC old gits of not taking our running seriously!

PS an utter shite attempt at a 10k yesterday. In perfect conditions I fancied myself for at least a sub 49 and possibly a sub 48. Faded badly on the final 2.5k and might have scraped a miserable 49.30 had my knee not tweaked with 0.5 to go.

See you Saturday. There’s room in the NSC bus if anyone wants a lift over.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Titanic battle of the old gits along Worthing prom PR this morning. Perfect conditions saw one old git get a PB for that course and a 20.56. The other old git managed a 21.17.
But the rules of engagement were based on Age Grading and the first old git's 77.31% was surpassed by the older git's 79.56%.

You can guess which old git was which by the one that's authored this post. Seriously, two very good performances, and a Great Leap Forward from me -thanks to having a Gaffer-shaped target. Worthing continues to be the place to be for fast times.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Amazing Olympian scenes at Worthing Parkrun this morning in the Old Gits AG Challenge.
A Worthing time PB and all time AG PB were amongst the spoils. Unfortunately it was the fine form of @GNT who won the day with a 21:17 and amazing 79.56% AG. Knocking on the door of his 79.66% all time best and nearly nearly the magic 80%.
My decisive loss was a 77.31% AG in 20:56. My all time AG high and Worthing PB failing to beat the nitty, gritty fighter on his home turf.

Enjoyable morning.Good hospitality as always, good Bateman friends and family pacers and good conditions. I'll be back to push the Old Git Champ to his 80% AG.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Titanic battle of the old gits along Worthing prom PR this morning. Perfect conditions saw one old git get a PB for that course and a 20.56. The other old git managed a 21.17.
But the rules of engagement were based on Age Grading and the first old git's 77.31% was surpassed by the older git's 79.56%.

You can guess which old git was which by the one that's authored this post. Seriously, two very good performances, and a Great Leap Forward from me -thanks to having a Gaffer-shaped target. Worthing continues to be the place to be for fast times.

Even beats me at posting. Still I'll keep mine.Cheers Champ. I'm coming to get you!

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Haven't posted on here for ages but hope everyone is running well.

I've not been getting as many miles in as I would have liked this year as 2021 has been super busy and our baby boy is 2 days overdue now so may be getting even less running in over the coming weeks! Have deferred my Brighton Marathon (original entry for 2020) to spring 2022 as I didn't think it was a good idea to try and train for a marathon with a newborn!

Have run a PB half marathon (Birmingham Sutton Park in May), 10k (Prestwold in June) and 5k (today) at Brixworth Parkrun recently so clearly my training has been quality over quantity. It has helped moving just before Christmas as where I live now is pretty hilly in any direction I set out in which definitely helps in races. Looking forward to Leicester Half Marathon at the end of October as it should be a good chance to push another HM PB (depending on how much I can get out there jn next two months).

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
My local parkrun was cancelled this week, so it was rather handy to have planned a trip to see my parents who live a short walk from Preston Park.

I have spent this morning nervously refreshing the results page, checking texts and emails as according to my watch I’d set a new PB by a second.

Finally, a little after 12:30 I got the text, I’d in fact done 19:38 and taken a stonking 2 seconds off a PB that was set back in January 2014 (on a course I think was slightly easier).

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
My local parkrun was cancelled this week, so it was rather handy to have planned a trip to see my parents who live a short walk from Preston Park.

I have spent this morning nervously refreshing the results page, checking texts and emails as according to my watch I’d set a new PB by a second.

Finally, a little after 12:30 I got the text, I’d in fact done 19:38 and taken a stonking 2 seconds off a PB that was set back in January 2014 (on a course I think was slightly easier).

Well done. PP is not regarded as a fast course because of the tight turns.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Well done. PP is not regarded as a fast course because of the tight turns.

Thanks. I found a site (that was a few years old) that listed Hove Prom as a pretty quick one (in top 20 for the country). So had half a mind to go there, but then I stayed up and watched the triathlon relay last night, so treated mysellf to a lie in and a 10 min walk to the start instead.

That being said I understand that one has some tight turns too, so not sure how it can be considered quick?

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Thanks. I found a site (that was a few years old) that listed Hove Prom as a pretty quick one (in top 20 for the country). So had half a mind to go there, but then I stayed up and watched the triathlon relay last night, so treated mysellf to a lie in and a 10 min walk to the start instead.

That being said I understand that one has some tight turns too, so not sure how it can be considered quick?
It is flat as a pancake, 4 turns. Most of the ones in local parks have hills to slow you down like they do in PP.

Worthing is quicker than Hove because it only has 1 turn

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Got my PB there, but I think Worthing is a bit faster.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The 'Saucony Endorphin Speed' trainers have arrived...................:drool:

Enjoy them!
Just ran 5 miles at 10 min mile pace and it nearly killed me. Thought it would be good for next weeks Triathlon to get prepared for running on knackered legs. They certainly are knackered but it's been a good week with an 800m, 1500m and 5K race.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Enjoy them!
Just ran 5 miles at 10 min mile pace and it nearly killed me. Thought it would be good for next weeks Triathlon to get prepared for running on knackered legs. They certainly are knackered but it's been a good week with an 800m, 1500m and 5K race.

I can see why your legs would complain at that workload. My pal was officiating at a meeting in Crawley yesterday and Caroline Wood + partner were there. Am I right in recalling that you competed against him at some stage?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
The 'Saucony Endorphin Speed' trainers have arrived...................:drool:

I recently bought a pair for the first time and I think they are a great all round shoe. I know many who run long runs of 15 miles+ in them. I’ve tended to use them for track sessions and races and enjoying them.

First non Hoka pair I’ve bought for at least five years.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I can see why your legs would complain at that workload. My pal was officiating at a meeting in Crawley yesterday and Caroline Wood + partner were there. Am I right in recalling that you competed against him at some stage?

Well almost right. He was in my class at school but I never recall any competition with him! When we got to 5th Form and 6th Form he did become School Athletics coach but the rest of us had better things to do than running at that stage of development.

When I joined Arena the coaches were saying are you ready to take on your old rival at the first Arena Parkrun Challenge. That idle gossip inspired me to beat him by a minute and finish in front of his good Lady wife too.

He's very committed to volunteering at numerous Athletics and running meets.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I recently bought a pair for the first time and I think they are a great all round shoe. I know many who run long runs of 15 miles+ in them. I’ve tended to use them for track sessions and races and enjoying them.

First non Hoka pair I’ve bought for at least five years.

Blimey, if they help me to run at your pace they'd be a hell of an investment! :)

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Anyone else inspired to get back into training coz of the Olympics? Various personal things in 2019 meant I didn't have time to train and race and I lost motivation over lockdown with no events to aim for in 2020, so although I continued running during these 2 years, I wasn't really training with any purpose, effort or plan. Haven't run a race since late 2018 but definitely looking to getting back into it now.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Decided to christen the new trainers today and do a bit of interval stuff - which I never usually do but should.

1st km - .4.40ish
2nd km - 3.50
3rdk km - 4.50ish
4th km - 3.53

2nd and 4th kms were a bit downwind.

No idea if these times were any good, but they felt quick (and hard). Trainers seemed to make a big difference as I suspect I've not run a sub 4 km for a good while.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
On Friday 21st May, after an hour's run, my Achilles started playing up, and was very painful, meaning I couldn't run even if I'd have wanted to. My goalkeeping skills were brought back to life as I couldn't play outfield when I played football. I'd just recovered from a Soleus injury and got back to running as far and as quick as I ever have, so this made the new injury even more frustrating.
I thought this would be the place to share my good news.
I've resisted the temptation to do any running since, until today. My heel felt completely pain-free, so I've been along the seafront, back on the 30 seconds light jogging, 4.5 minutes of walking for half an hour. I can't feel any after affects, yet. Providing I don't feel any pain, I'll increase the jogging and reduce the walking by 30 seconds next week, and do this each week to hopefully be running normally again in a few weeks.
I feel quite elated!

CoolTed

Nov 2, 2015
I'd be grateful for some local parkrun advice.

I'll be staying at Kingston, near Lewes, soon and plan to do a parkrun. Priorities (in order) are: not too congested (given current covid situation); ease of parking; surface (the firmer the better); distance from Kingston.

Peacehaven and Seaford seem to be the closest, then East Brighton. But I'd be happy to head further into Brighton or Hove if they offer better options.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here