Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
5k in 22.12@76.26%AG. Hopefully finding a bit of form prior to Parkruns getting up and running.

Good time that. Take me a month or so to get back up to pace. Less than 10 miles in 6 weeks.

Popping in to see how ppl are doing and well impressed. Doing 10K a day myself this month at my sloth pace of 50-60 mins. Beat the Tide tomorrow - wearing number 10...

Perfect evening for it. Look forward to your report. I’ll be doing the Phoenix 10k tomorrow as a training run.
48:07 will give me a 70% Age Grade, so I’ll try and get under that.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Good time that. Take me a month or so to get back up to pace. Less than 10 miles in 6 weeks.

Perfect evening for it. Look forward to your report. I’ll be doing the Phoenix 10k tomorrow as a training run.
48:07 will give me a 70% Age Grade, so I’ll try and get under that.

Good luck to all NSC runners who are doing the Phoenix. Pretty good conditions, I think. Or to put it rather more brutally, no excuses lads!
:lol:

BenElton'sBrother

Nov 30, 2003
Hove
I like the Brunswick - plenty of good beers on draught. I’m fine with that being our pub for the night.

I’ll be at the finish line cheering you on and shouting abuse [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] - looking forward to it now (the drinks rather than the race).

I think this might be my first post of 2021!!
Anyway, I'll be joining you all for the Phoenix tonight, it'll be good to see some familiar faces not seen for too long.
I'll be up for a beer in the Brunswick after too :drink:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I think this might be my first post of 2021!!
Anyway, I'll be joining you all for the Phoenix tonight, it'll be good to see some familiar faces not seen for too long.
I'll be up for a beer in the Brunswick after too :drink:

Excellent. I’ll meet you all in the pub once I finish.

Lots of flies 🪰 on the prom yesterday and today. Swallowed a few perhaps I’ll die.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Finally decided to go and see someone about my long standing (LOL) foot issue - at least I know what it is now…….calcific achilles tendonitis. Not sure of the treatment yet but looks like many weeks on the ultra/marathon crocks bench. Arse.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Finally decided to go and see someone about my long standing (LOL) foot issue - at least I know what it is now…….calcific achilles tendonitis. Not sure of the treatment yet but looks like many weeks on the ultra/marathon crocks bench. Arse.

I had similar diagnosis by the NHS after a 5 month rheumatoid arthritis flare up 4 years back. NHS said I had to change lifestyle and never run again. Physio said I can get that but it will take 6 weekly sessions.
I accepted and paid £240 for someone to literally push the rubbish off the Achilles’ tendon for a weekly 30”. 3 months later I ran the Moyleman. Best £240 I’ve spent.

Yours will obviously differ and be either slightly elsewhere, easier/more difficult etc. If you want the contact let me know.

Met 4 successful NSC runners last night. I let the team down with a worst ever, by a long chalk,10k very regressive 51:17 but did the main job by booking the table for a good pub session afterwards.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I had similar diagnosis by the NHS after a 5 month rheumatoid arthritis flare up 4 years back. NHS said I had to change lifestyle and never run again. Physio said I can get that but it will take 6 weekly sessions.
I accepted and paid £240 for someone to literally push the rubbish off the Achilles’ tendon for a weekly 30”. 3 months later I ran the Moyleman. Best £240 I’ve spent.

Yours will obviously differ and be either slightly elsewhere, easier/more difficult etc. If you want the contact let me know.

Met 4 successful NSC runners last night. I let the team down with a worst ever very regressive 51:17 by a long chalk 10k but did the main job by booking the table for a good pub session afterwards.

Thanks……Foot Doc said ‘main thing is to get you running pain free asap’ so will see what he does…….
I’d be happy with 51 atm

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Met 4 successful NSC runners last night. I let the team down with a worst ever, by a long chalk,10k very regressive 51:17 but did the main job by booking the table for a good pub session afterwards.

Given your virtually zero training that's still pretty respectable and a base to work from. Are you aiming to get back to Parkruns ASAP?

D

Deleted member 2719

Wet winter left me cold and crying,
Beaten black and blue,
Someone said there's no harm in trying,
Nothing else to do.

I'm just a-RUNNING in the sunshine,:rave:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Given your virtually zero training that's still pretty respectable and a base to work from. Are you aiming to get back to Parkruns ASAP?

Thanks I was awaiting more of a ribbing from you!

Worked out 2 months I’d only run 12 miles. Surprised I lost nearly 20%. It was fun racing irrespective of time and I’ve still got the buzz. Realising at 3K that you’ve f***** it and you have 7K left to run in a competitive field on a busy seafront as you rapidly move to the back of the field is a great challenge and future motivator.

I’ll move slowly into gear in Parkruns. I have a 1500m track race in 10 days that will be my priority and a Standard Tri at Bewl early August.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Anyone find themselves susceptible to hip injuries? I’ve been doing around 40km per week on the treadmill since I finished my home gym a few weeks back, but had to give myself a rest last week struggling with hip pain.

It feels more like a joint issue than muscle, oddly as if my femur isn’t quite sitting right in my pelvis - almost like it’s ever so slightly dislocated. Resting up has seen the pain and my profound limp subside, but I know it’s still not ‘right’. It feels kind of ‘clicky’, and I know the pain will flare up again once I start to run.

Any ideas what this might be?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Thanks I was awaiting more of a ribbing from you!

Worked out 2 months I’d only run 12 miles. Surprised I lost nearly 20%. It was fun racing irrespective of time and I’ve still got the buzz. Realising at 3K that you’ve f***** it and you have 7K left to run in a competitive field on a busy seafront as you rapidly move to the back of the field is a great challenge and future motivator.

I’ll move slowly into gear in Parkruns. I have a 1500m track race in 10 days that will be my priority and a Standard Tri at Bewl early August.

Ribbing? No way, I share your pain! (A very small share, indeed, I confess.)

At least you finished the 10k. Even worse when you have to walk back with the whole field overtaking you. But, 'what doesn't kill you' etc.

Bloody hot out there. Did a 22.08 (76.49%) but really draining.

PS is the Bewl tri a re-match against your ancient (I use the word deliberately) rival?

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Anyone find themselves susceptible to hip injuries? I’ve been doing around 40km per week on the treadmill since I finished my home gym a few weeks back, but had to give myself a rest last week struggling with hip pain.

It feels more like a joint issue than muscle, oddly as if my femur isn’t quite sitting right in my pelvis - almost like it’s ever so slightly dislocated. Resting up has seen the pain and my profound limp subside, but I know it’s still not ‘right’. It feels kind of ‘clicky’, and I know the pain will flare up again once I start to run.

Any ideas what this might be?

When I had a dodgy hip ('sacroiliac'), it was partly down to leg length discrepancy (one leg longer than the other). But I think you need to get to see an expert. Good luck as this is a pretty debilitating condition to suffer.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Ribbing? No way, I share your pain! (A very small share, indeed, I confess.)

At least you finished the 10k. Even worse when you have to walk back with the whole field overtaking you. But, 'what doesn't kill you' etc.

Bloody hot out there. Did a 22.08 (76.49%) but really draining.

PS is the Bewl tri a re-match against your ancient (I use the word deliberately) rival?

Looks like you’re ready to hit Parkrun running. Good form.

It is indeed a rematch at Bewl. One that I demanded and one that I’ll probably lose by more than Arundel. I love competition.😢

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Garry Nelson's teacher;9935693 Bloody hot out there. Did a 22.08 (76.49%) but really draining. [/QUOTE said:
Good puffing return to Withdean yesterday. Managed to catch a few that stuffed me at The Phoenix 10k.
Nicky Yeates seems to be a benchmark for when I'm returning from a lay off and true to form on the last 400m interval after 5.4k interval running she held the curve and I was unable to go past. She's a tough cookie.
I'm now semi ready for the 1500m next Monday at Lewes and as my recovery takes a few days I will be avoiding the return to Parkrun this week.
However, July 31st would be a good date for a preliminary AG Challenge. Shall I pop over to Worthing?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Good puffing return to Withdean yesterday. Managed to catch a few that stuffed me at The Phoenix 10k.
Nicky Yeates seems to be a benchmark for when I'm returning from a lay off and true to form on the last 400m interval after 5.4k interval running she held the curve and I was unable to go past. She's a tough cookie.
I'm now semi ready for the 1500m next Monday at Lewes and as my recovery takes a few days I will be avoiding the return to Parkrun this week.
However, July 31st would be a good date for a preliminary AG Challenge. Shall I pop over to Worthing?

Good idea. There's a chance I'll not be doing the 31st at Worthing but assume I am.

Nicky Y is formidable! (She's one of your Arena 80 mob if I recall. Scary lady.)

BTW anyone lining up Lancing Parkrun on this Saturday - don't! Cancelled. Not Covid but a funfair. Worthing might be (even more?) jammed as a consequence.

I knocked 5 seconds off my Salvington Hill PB, but only [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] will know this run.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Afternoon ORTers! I'm just dragging the thread up the board because it's been a bit quiet of late.

No running to report from me. I've been in self-isolation since Sunday 11th July and had covid since the 13th –just a head cold hanging around now – and have run about two miles in that time.

Tomorrow is my own 'freedom day', so I'll be back out in the wild. Not sure where or how far, but just celebrating the ability to get out and about beyond the house! :thumbsup:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Afternoon ORTers! I'm just dragging the thread up the board because it's been a bit quiet of late.

No running to report from me. I've been in self-isolation since Sunday 11th July and had covid since the 13th –just a head cold hanging around now – and have run about two miles in that time.

Tomorrow is my own 'freedom day', so I'll be back out in the wild. Not sure where or how far, but just celebrating the ability to get out and about beyond the house! :thumbsup:

Good luck GB!

I'm fed up with noone posting boring running talk. It's infectious and has even kept me quiet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here