Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Sorry to hear that. I think we should have a suspension of hostilities. I don't want any responsibility for your knees and ankles. Take it easy. I might pay [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION] to be your personal trainer in restraint.
That's a good idea. I could do with a new career path, but I think I'll stick with advising people on how to lift and divide Snowdrops and associated stuff.
My motivation for restraint was looking at the downside of things if I didn't build up really slowly. Not being able to run would have meant not being able to play football, which is something I enjoy doing so much. Fortunately, the lockdown and soleus injury coincided so there was no football to play any way. Ironically, my injury was caused by overdoing the running in order to be ultra-fit when the football resumed.
I wouldn't know what to do if I couldn't play football. There's my motivation for restraint.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Sorry to hear that. I think we should have a suspension of hostilities. I don't want any responsibility for your knees and ankles. Take it easy. I might pay [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION] to be your personal trainer in restraint.

I'm off to Eastbourne today to buy a new Tri wetsuit and will take the opportunity to run along a different Prom. Planning on 2X1.5 miles [MENTION=35812]tempo[/MENTION].

I think this remit might even be beyond the estimable Mr Straw's capabilities. There's still 8 weeks to go, so I won't over-react and withdraw or anything. But I certainly won't initiate any trash-talk with someone who is going to 'kick my ass' (as things stand). Indeed I'll transform into your number 1 cheerleader at such point as I bow to the inevitable.
Enjoy the trip to Eastbourne. (I did manage an hour or so digging at the allotment, so the heart rate was raised today.)

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Just got confirmation that the Richmond Marathon which was going to be on May 16th is postponed. :down: Oh well, that's the third consecutive marathon training build up for me that has been cut short due to postponements. I'm guessing they will move it to the Autumn (with every other marathon) so it's unlikely I'll be able to do it with London being my A race.

It's still been brilliant fun to try to get into decent shape over the last few months and it's all positive aerobic development for the future. Playing the (very) long game. :)

When's the Worthing 10k and are there places still available? :lolol:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just got confirmation that the Richmond Marathon which was going to be on May 16th is postponed. :down: Oh well, that's the third consecutive marathon training build up for me that has been cut short due to postponements. I'm guessing they will move it to the Autumn (with every other marathon) so it's unlikely I'll be able to do it with London being my A race.

It's still been brilliant fun to try to get into decent shape over the last few months and it's all positive aerobic development for the future. Playing the (very) long game. :)

When's the Worthing 10k and are there places still available? :lolol:

Bad luck. It looked like it would be going ahead. :down:
https://www.worthing10k.co.uk/ Great to see you there. I think [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] is in and [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION] has a place but might not be coming over from Toronto that week.

Had to cancel my Eastbourne run. My kit was locked in the car with my key in the ignition when returning with wetsuit. My phone was on charge at home. Had to spend a miserable few hours waiting for her to finish visiting the shops before returning with her key. Given up on running at that point. Beautiful wetsuit though!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
https://www.worthing10k.co.uk/ Great to see you there. I think [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] is in and [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION] has a place but might not be coming over from Toronto that week.

Had to cancel my Eastbourne run. My kit was locked in the car with my key in the ignition when returning with wetsuit. My phone was on charge at home. Had to spend a miserable few hours waiting for her to finish visiting the shops before returning with her key. Given up on running at that point. Beautiful wetsuit though!

I was planning to do the Worthing 10k last year, although I never actually signed up when Covid hit and obviously I never made it over. My flights for this June have already been cancelled, so I won't be making it this year either. I'm hoping to make it over to the UK in the autumn. I'll keep an eye out for any races then.

Covid is hitting us hard in Ontario at the moment. They keep announcing more restrictions and there's talk of a curfew. Running is still keeping me going but I'm desperate for a group run or a race. I'm just plodding through my 3 or 4 runs a week with very little motivation other than just keeping myself moving.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

Thanks Gaffer, yeah I'm pretty gutted. The last few long run workouts in particular had got me excited for what I could do, but we'll just have to wait that bit longer.

Many thanks for the Worthing 10k details. It looks really good! It would be great to head down for it and catch up with you and a few NSC Runners and a good excuse to visit my folks.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
SDW50 marshalling this morning.......lovely day once it warmed up a bit (-5 when I arrived !). Winner home in 6.02 - so averaged 4.28 min/km for 80k over the Downs (into the wind too). :eek:

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
SDW50 marshalling this morning.......lovely day once it warmed up a bit (-5 when I arrived !). Winner home in 6.02 - so averaged 4.28 min/km for 80k over the Downs (into the wind too). :eek:

Got to be the perfect day for it - cool and sunny. I guess a westerly wind would help. Amazing winning time, quicker than I ran my notparkrun this morning!

Well done for marshalling.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Should have been the Brighton Marathon’s original date this morning. Glorious morning for it too. I can’t make the October date so have to wait another year. Three years between BMs.

:tantrum:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Should have been the Brighton Marathon’s original date this morning. Glorious morning for it too. I can’t make the October date so have to wait another year. Three years between BMs.

:tantrum:

Forgot that. It would have been the most perfect conditions imaginable. Perhaps the sun slightly too strong as we got towards late morning.

I’m running the Goodwood HM next Sunday, so looking forward to another race after an enjoyable 5k one Easter BH weekend.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Conditions today were just about nailed-on PERFECT

Just what I said to Mrs H. Instead, I’m sat on my arse doing nothing, nursing the rib injury I wouldn’t have picked up if I’d been in the midst of the taper.

I might cane the wine tonight. It’s no substitute for that post marathon glow, a few cold ones and a slap up Thai meal in Kemptown with our best buds.

Waaaaah!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just what I said to Mrs H. Instead, I’m sat on my arse doing nothing, nursing the rib injury I wouldn’t have picked up if I’d been in the midst of the taper.

I might cane the wine tonight. It’s no substitute for that post marathon glow, a few cold ones and a slap up Thai meal in Kemptown with our best buds.

Waaaaah!

I only did a dozen miles or so as got a couple of niggles but all the time I was thinking........'bloody nice day for a marathon' :tantrum:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
BM time indeed. Had a few weeks with dry, burning eyes and dry, nasal passages. Yesterday evening and through the night it’s hit with a vengeance. F****** birch pollen. Withdean will be fun tonight. Only started getting it when BM started about 10 years back.

I’ll be able to analyse whether it saps performance tonight. I think not and that you ignore it.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Maybe no Brighton Marathon, but I have news about Weakest Link – having FINALLY been to get some new road shoes (Brooks Ghost 12s, in case anyone's interested).

Traditional one will take place on 23rd June.

Hove Lagoon one is TBC, but looking like the 1st or 8th September.

Over to you, Gaffer :thumbsup:

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
seeing people talking about perfect running conditions, i'm beginning to think it's just me who finds running in anything above about 4c too hot.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Hi guys - quick question. Last Tuesday I felt a twinge in the back of my thigh while out on a relaxed run, so gave the running a rest for the remainder of the week. It felt better and I didn't give it much more thought. Went out for a run today and it did the same thing at the 5k mark. I've not had any problems with my hamstrings or any other muscles really in 5+ years of running, so wondered if anyone had any tips? Could it be my shoes? They're reaching the end of their milage now, about 750km although they don't look too worn to be fair...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Maybe no Brighton Marathon, but I have news about Weakest Link – having FINALLY been to get some new road shoes (Brooks Ghost 12s, in case anyone's interested).

Traditional one will take place on 23rd June.

Hove Lagoon one is TBC, but looking like the 1st or 8th September.

Over to you, Gaffer :thumbsup:

Good scouting Bobkin.
Pencil in 23rd June all runners on NSC. That includes all posters and all lurkers. Speed and times unimportant. 4 runners in each relay.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here