Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Seeing some of the impressive distances people run on here, double figures for some, I'm embarrassed now to have posted what I thought were impressive runs for me of four to six miles!
I think I need to up my game. I very rarely run for more than an hour at a slowish pace. My mission is to break that hour barrier!! :)

What the others said. It's all relative – so your four to six miles are way more than a lot of people will do.

The key is to not get too caught up with what anyone else is doing. You're doing the right thing with setting your own goals like the 1-hour barrier.

The more you run, the more you'll be able to run – if that makes sense...

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Seeing some of the impressive distances people run on here, double figures for some, I'm embarrassed now to have posted what I thought were impressive runs for me of four to six miles!
I think I need to up my game. I very rarely run for more than an hour at a slowish pace. My mission is to break that hour barrier!! :)

You’re hooked and we all suffer from those “could do better” thoughts that our teachers used to mistakenly and lazily put on our school reports.

The trouble with running/runners is that most of us feel that the more we do the better we will get, then it all comes crashing down when we “train” until we break. I don’t consider it training anymore yet on every run I record time, distance and pace. Not sure why cosI don’t do anything with these records other than look at them for a few minutes after the run.

Run all the time you enjoy it. The hardest thing is to enjoy rest days because of the guilt.

Have a friendly challenge with yourself, who as Bozza says can be a right arse sometimes!!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

No problem there Jack. Mr Discipline with the recovery from the soleus will have no problems. Just stick to the 10% a week increase in distance/pace. (Not that any of us do!).

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Strange cycling away from a near empty Withdean yesterday 30” before kick off.

First track session was a 2021 introductory session of 6 repeats of 3” fast 2” recovery. Weekly mile intervals for 6 weeks meant I could hit the ground running. Managed a 20:55 5k from start and a 21:10 5k for the last 5k. (miles 2+3 in both 5Ks). Ran non stop 4.1 miles in total at 6:46 pace even though recovery consisted of 10” of the 28”.

Really buzzing afterwards despite 0-0. Either I entered a time warp or @GNT needs to consider showing the white flag. I’m aiming for 43:00 at Worthing. Celebrated with 2 double deckers.
#Pridecomesbeforeafall.

Careful: those double deckers will cost you.

Still nursing the Achilles but hoping to have a gentle jog tomorrow (after popping up to the loft to locate the white flag).

PS might have to slightly alter the playing conditions to include a set of 50 press-ups are each km.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Take pride: for your age group you are in the top 1% or so. There are very few runners in their mid 60s and of those that do run your stats are highly respectable. And there's even fewer who play footie as well.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Managed my first 10km which felt pretty good. Ended up going to Worthing seafront and back. The last km was the little incline along the A27 from Worthing cemetery roundabout heading west which was pretty tough but perfect weather for it this evening

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Thanks one and all for your responses to my recent post. I'll take on board all what you've said, and just keep to what I can do. My soleus problem seems to be a thing of the past already and I'm back to playing two games of football a week now, so it will be one run a week, hopefully for an hour or so. I'll post one of my usual maps when I've done the run.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Thanks one and all for your responses to my recent post. I'll take on board all what you've said, and just keep to what I can do. My soleus problem seems to be a thing of the past already and I'm back to playing two games of football a week now, so it will be one run a week, hopefully for an hour or so. I'll post one of my usual maps when I've done the run.

That seems a really good balance and one where you’ll look forward to your run rather than do it cos you have to. Two football matches a week is pretty impressive.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
That seems a really good balance and one where you’ll look forward to your run rather than do it cos you have to. Two football matches a week is pretty impressive.
Thanks, but you haven't seen me try to play? I've got the passing ability of David Beckham, the tackling of David Batty, and the vision of David Blunkett!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I wanted to run for 55 minutes today, so set off from the bottom of my road and ran east for 27.5 minutes which got me along the cliff-top to just before Ovingdean roundabout, then just turned round and ran back. I really enjoyed it. I feel the best I've felt for ages.

Attachments

• Ov Rnd.JPG
    Ov Rnd.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 71

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Managed my first 10km which felt pretty good. Ended up going to Worthing seafront and back. The last km was the little incline along the A27 from Worthing cemetery roundabout heading west which was pretty tough but perfect weather for it this evening

It's not so much the hill that will kill you as the traffic fumes! Well done; that's a hard 10k.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Hello all. I’m after a little reassurance from the experienced runners among you today.

As you’ll doubtless know from my constant whitterings, I’ve been in training for the For Rangers Ultra in Kenya, in September. That may or may not happen but the training had been going very nicely. Times were decent and I’d already clocked up 650 miles for the year. Then last week I took a tumble over a tree root, landed on my chest and bruised my ribs. It’s my first significant injury in eight years of running. I’m still sore and have just been signed off work for a fortnight to rest up.

Obviously there’s been no running for a week. I went for a walk with Mrs H and rapidly truncated it, thinking better of the whole idea. I don’t imagine I’ll be going out for a good while yet and the mind is starting to play games with me. I can almost feel myself atrophying while I type this. Can somebody reassure me that you don’t turn into a ball of dust after three weeks off the road?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
A 2 mile test run for me, chasing an imaginary Knocky 1 - and not catching him. Indeed he took off disappeared from view after about 400 metres.
The plus was that the Achilles behaved itself.

Good news on the achilles.
Like [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION] I feel in the best shape for a long time. No lactic acid build up and raring to go. Experience tells me to ignore this and have 2 full days of rest until Friday.

I'm starting an 8 week plan to Worthing next week. 4 runs a week. Withdean track on Mondays. Slow 6-8 miles (9 min mile pace) on Tuesdays. Friday a 1-3 mile tempo runs in intervals at 7:15 to 7:00 building the distance for 6 weeks.Saturday 6-8 miles slow.

The biggest problem is the press ups. I'm only on 5 but will get up to 25 in a week or two. Can I do 25 every half mile for mine?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Hello all. I’m after a little reassurance from the experienced runners among you today.

As you’ll doubtless know from my constant whitterings, I’ve been in training for the For Rangers Ultra in Kenya, in September. That may or may not happen but the training had been going very nicely. Times were decent and I’d already clocked up 650 miles for the year. Then last week I took a tumble over a tree root, landed on my chest and bruised my ribs. It’s my first significant injury in eight years of running. I’m still sore and have just been signed off work for a fortnight to rest up.

Obviously there’s been no running for a week. I went for a walk with Mrs H and rapidly truncated it, thinking better of the whole idea. I don’t imagine I’ll be going out for a good while yet and the mind is starting to play games with me. I can almost feel myself atrophying while I type this. Can somebody reassure me that you don’t turn into a ball of dust after three weeks off the road?

First things first, sorry to hear about the tumble – hope you make a quick and full recovery.

Secondly, no, you'll be fine. There are many of us on here who have been out for much longer – voluntarily or enforced – who have come back as strong, or even stronger.

Finally I'd say – in my limited experience of these things – don't push it and try and *literally* run before you can walk. Because you'll end up possibly/probably being out for much longer than you'd planned.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Good news on the achilles.
Like [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION] I feel in the best shape for a long time. No lactic acid build up and raring to go. Experience tells me to ignore this and have 2 full days of rest until Friday.

I'm starting an 8 week plan to Worthing next week. 4 runs a week. Withdean track on Mondays. Slow 6-8 miles (9 min mile pace) on Tuesdays. Friday a 1-3 mile tempo runs in intervals at 7:15 to 7:00 building the distance for 6 weeks.Saturday 6-8 miles slow.

The biggest problem is the press ups. I'm only on 5 but will get up to 25 in a week or two. Can I do 25 every half mile for mine?

No mate. The press-up rule is VERY strict, I'm afraid. (The marshals are all ex PTIs from the US Marine Corps, flown over specially.) TBH with that training schedule I think you could still have the edge on me including the 50 press ups per km rule. Seriously, I've got to dig deep and hope the body holds up. Meanwhile, feel free to tuck into to those double deckers!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Yeah, I never enjoy that hill if I come down the A24 and turn right. I hit it about a mile into my run, and going up that hill generally lets me find out what kind of form I'm in that day!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Update: Achilles flared up again. Apologies - this is getting boring!

Sorry to hear that. I think we should have a suspension of hostilities. I don't want any responsibility for your knees and ankles. Take it easy. I might pay [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION] to be your personal trainer in restraint.

I'm off to Eastbourne today to buy a new Tri wetsuit and will take the opportunity to run along a different Prom. Planning on 2X1.5 miles [MENTION=35812]tempo[/MENTION].

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here