Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I’m up for it. See the Gasson is down for 20:30. Not sure of my expected time anywhere from just under 21 to 21:30 I guess. What’s the ground like?
I see you’re in [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] never knew you’d joined Phoenix.👍

My mate was marshalling at the last one and according to him it's tarmac/hard standing. It must be a quick course with the times it produces.

I'll probably have to give this one a miss. Looking at the likely timings (staggered start) it doesn't quite work for me. Rest assured I'll be awaiting results with interest.....................The Gassman did a 23ish last time, from which I can only speculate that must he have had a wardrobe strapped to his back.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
All this talk about 10ks, fast marathons and speed sessions is making ME feel like I've got the after effects of the AZ jab :lolol:

I'm just happily still plodding along with my four-legged friend for company. However, I AM trying for Truleigh Hill PB in the morning – which is, as it happens, around the dreaded 10k distance...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
All this talk about 10ks, fast marathons and speed sessions is making ME feel like I've got the after effects of the AZ jab :lolol:

I'm just happily still plodding along with my four-legged friend for company. However, I AM trying for Truleigh Hill PB in the morning – which is, as it happens, around the dreaded 10k distance...

My favourite runs are my plodding dog jogs, as the photos attached to my Strava runs probably illustrate.

However, I'm a firm believer that my speed improvements on the road largely come from the long slogs up muddy hills when out on those dog jogs. I only run from my front door and back again, and it's pretty much impossible for me to stick to flat trails.

IMG_8612.jpg

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
My favourite runs are my plodding dog jogs, as the photos attached to my Strava runs probably illustrate.

However, I'm a firm believer that my speed improvements on the road largely come from the long slogs up muddy hills when out on those dog jogs. I only run from my front door and back again, and it's pretty much impossible for me to stick to flat trails.

View attachment 135266

Isn’t it odd when you see someone for real when your mind has already decided what they look like!! 😀

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
All I want to know is who took the photo ???

Bozza - you'd know, if I run from Honeysuckle Lane on the paths, how easy is it to loop round and down past the church at Findon, through the village and back down the A24 into Worthing? On my planner it shows a decent 7km run back home, but I'm concerned about getting lost on the Honeysuckle bit

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
All I want to know is who took the photo ???

Bozza - you'd know, if I run from Honeysuckle Lane on the paths, how easy is it to loop round and down past the church at Findon, through the village and back down the A24 into Worthing? On my planner it shows a decent 7km run back home, but I'm concerned about getting lost on the Honeysuckle bit

I’m literally heading out the door now to do just that.

You follow HS all the way down to Long Furlong and you turn right on the verge alongside LF, and after a few yards turn right up the embankment and over a stile.

Across a field, over another stile and follow the trail round to the right.

You come out at the church if you keep going.

Happy to show you sometime if it helps - just let me know - I can do most days/times.

Where do you come up from?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I’m literally heading out the door now to do just that.

You follow HS all the way down to Long Furlong and you turn right on the verge alongside LF, and after a few yards turn right up the embankment and over a stile.

Across a field, over another stile and follow the trail round to the right.

You come out at the church if you keep going.

Happy to show you sometime if it helps - just let me know - I can do most days/times.

Where do you come up from?

Decent! I'm going to give it a go tonight as the missus is walking the dog around Honeysuckle and I said I would race her back, but would be good to find some more off-roady routes around Worthing. I live in Salvington, so nice easy access to the Gallops, Findon, etc

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Decent! I'm going to give it a go tonight as the missus is walking the dog around Honeysuckle and I said I would race her back, but would be good to find some more off-roady routes around Worthing. I live in Salvington, so nice easy access to the Gallops, Findon, etc

Do you use Strava? It might be worth a quick browse of my routes if so as I’m off-road a lot right now and my routes might give you some inspiration. I certainly take note of other local runners.

Take care on the descent towards Long Furlong as it’s quite chalky and the drizzle today has made it a bit slippery.

And just to say, when you get to the bottom at Long Furlong, go round the big gate as if you were going onto LF itself and then right onto the verge where pavement would be. DON’T take the trail up to the right before the big gate as this is private property.

Depending on where you want to come out, you can take a trail after the Findon church and that big mansion towards Roger’s Lane and then keep heading south between the horse fields, across Bost Hill, along the Gallops and onto Mill Lane.

This is the run I just did - you should be able to zoom in etc on the web even if you don’t use Strava...

https://strava.app.link/F84tqkwVUeb

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
In other running news, I ran a bare foot 5km today.

Some of the people I did a virtual relay thing with last year are barefoot runners, although in many cases this doesn't mean literally barefoot - it encompasses things like Vibram Five Fingers and Luna Sandals (can you imagine running in these - https://lunasandals.com/collections/bestsellers-overall/products/lunarootsbuilder ?)

Anyway, today a whole load of folk were running a 5km bare foot (and literally bare foot) so I thought I'd do the same, particularly because as a massive Nike running shoe fanboy, I would be one of the last people they'd expect to go barefoot. It was quite good fun - I chose a fairly safe place to do it, although some recent tree pruning meant I had to dance my way through cuttings every now and again. In shoes I'd have just ploughed on without a second thought.

Anyone else given bare foot a go?

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

Some of the people I did a virtual relay thing with last year are barefoot runners, although in many cases this doesn't mean literally barefoot - it encompasses things like Vibram Five Fingers and Luna Sandals (can you imagine running in these - https://lunasandals.com/collections/bestsellers-overall/products/lunarootsbuilder ?)

Anyway, today a whole load of folk were running a 5km bare foot (and literally bare foot) so I thought I'd do the same, particularly because as a massive Nike running shoe fanboy, I would be one of the last people they'd expect to go barefoot. It was quite good fun - I chose a fairly safe place to do it, although some recent tree pruning meant I had to dance my way through cuttings every now and again. In shoes I'd have just ploughed on without a second thought.

There used to be a guy at one of the local (mostly trail) parkruns up here that used to rock up in the sandals. He was pretty quick! Hardened feet and strong ankles I guess.

I haven't really done more than casual running in the park barefoot in the summer. Feels great but perhaps just for a bit of easy effort fun. I remember watching Zola Budd as a kid. Incredible!!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Do you use Strava? It might be worth a quick browse of my routes if so as I’m off-road a lot right now and my routes might give you some inspiration. I certainly take note of other local runners.

Take care on the descent towards Long Furlong as it’s quite chalky and the drizzle today has made it a bit slippery.

And just to say, when you get to the bottom at Long Furlong, go round the big gate as if you were going onto LF itself and then right onto the verge where pavement would be. DON’T take the trail up to the right before the big gate as this is private property.

Depending on where you want to come out, you can take a trail after the Findon church and that big mansion towards Roger’s Lane and then keep heading south between the horse fields, across Bost Hill, along the Gallops and onto Mill Lane.

This is the run I just did - you should be able to zoom in etc on the web even if you don’t use Strava...

https://strava.app.link/F84tqkwVUeb

Don’t use Strava but I’ll have a look - thanks.

Managed to complete it, only bit I wasn’t clear on was after the mansion / church but just ran across that open field (the wrong way!) to the path up the country Lane and across the gallops. Definitely found trail running a bit tougher on the legs and one of the inclines at Honeysuckle felt steep.

8km in 50minute which felt pretty good, given it was my longest run and only my 6th run this year happy with the progress.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Buy new gear or enter a race and injury beckons.
12 years ago I used an industrial varnish on our florboards that was made to withstand infinite numbers of boots. Sanding it off yesterday has taken it's toll on my shoulders, arms, lower back, glutes and the dreaded piriformis pain in the arse. Nothing more than a few days rest needed and sitting on a knobbly roller.
On the plus side it's a job done and I'll use Osmo varnish this time. Body may have needed R&R from running too.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

As promised, I tackled the big hill this morning. Segment was a new PB – down to 49.03 from 53.26 and average pace of 7:54 per mile :thumbsup: Ninth fastest time overall, too – the leader is 40:15 :eek:

Now back to a weekend of plodding.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
There used to be a guy at one of the local (mostly trail) parkruns up here that used to rock up in the sandals. He was pretty quick! Hardened feet and strong ankles I guess.

I haven't really done more than casual running in the park barefoot in the summer. Feels great but perhaps just for a bit of easy effort fun. I remember watching Zola Budd as a kid. Incredible!!

My back and glutes are starting to hurt just reading this. I tried running barefoot on a sandy beach once and it did my back in for the rest of the holiday. Flat feet

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Don’t use Strava but I’ll have a look - thanks.

Managed to complete it, only bit I wasn’t clear on was after the mansion / church but just ran across that open field (the wrong way!) to the path up the country Lane and across the gallops. Definitely found trail running a bit tougher on the legs and one of the inclines at Honeysuckle felt steep.

8km in 50minute which felt pretty good, given it was my longest run and only my 6th run this year happy with the progress.

I'm not sure what field you mean, but just after the drive that leads behind the mansion, there's a trail on the right with a very old broken gate that you can go round not through.

Great work anyway!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Played around with a for a while using vibrams, but didn't really get on with it. Led to very tight calves for me. I know a few ultrarunners that run in vibrams or Luna sandals even for very long distance - key for anyone wanting to do it is gradual transition - start with very short distances on soft surfaces and build up gradually

In other news, the Olympic marathon trial has just started - free to watch on BBC Iplayer if anyone is interested.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Some absolutely phenomenal running at the British Olympic Marathon Trials this morning!!

At 39 years old Chris Thompson runs an epic race coming from behind and overtaking the leaders to take first place and finishes inside the Olympic qualifying time to book his place to Japan! He'll be 40 when he toes the line in Sapporo! :bowdown:

You can see how much it meant to him as he crossed the finish line and his post race interview is brilliant!

[tweet]1375391700118597634[/tweet]

[tweet]1375411261404549123[/tweet]

So inspiring!

Ben Connor comes 2nd and as he already had the qualifying time (from London 2020) he goes to Japan, along with Callum Hawkins, so that's the 3 Brits in the Olympic Mens Marathon.

I feel really sorry for Johnny Mellor though who has shown to be the 2nd best Brit, already having run the qualifying time twice but had to withdraw from today's trials due to a freak injury (gout!) so he misses out.

It looks like Ian had a storming run too [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] ! He got a great namecheck about his Brighton background from Tim Hutchings in commentary.

Steph Davis wins the women's race and runs inside the qualifying time so she is off to Japan. Will be interesting to see who British Athletics selects as the other two women on Tuesday.

The only negative (but not really surprisingly) is British Athletics. Really poor marketing and promotion once again for what was a key pre-Olympics event. Yes they hosted the livestream on their YouTube channel but the build up coverage across their social platforms leading into today was virtually non-existent. Could and should be doing much better. It's as though they don't want the sport to grow and inspire the younger generations to be active.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here