Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
One of the runners - Paul Navesey - lives in Mid Sussex - often see him out and about and I know his parents (also runners). Think he's got a best of about 2.17.

Had my AZ jab on Monday night - no obvious side effects at all until I started to run yesterday - and was like a couple of gears were missing. Slightly better today but still a bit sluggish - not had any other issues (so far). I mentioned it on our coaching group and the coach said he's heard the same from several runners - suggested taking it easy for a couple of days otherwise seems those effects last longer. May be worth bearing in mind...........

I hope the AZ side effects are kept short dazzer. You too [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION]. :thumbsup: I think I only know one person who hasn't felt rubbish for a day or so afterwards. I'll definitely be taking it easy for a few days when my time comes.

Unfortunately I think Paul is a DNS as he's no longer included in the most current start list. I couple of the men and women have dropped out over the last few days which is a shame. I seem to think Paul has come from an ultra running background and transitioned to the road, to great effect! A bit similar to Tom Evans who is going to be running on Friday.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I hope the AZ side effects are kept short dazzer. You too [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION]. :thumbsup: I think I only know one person who hasn't felt rubbish for a day or so afterwards. I'll definitely be taking it easy for a few days when my time comes.

Unfortunately I think Paul is a DNS as he's no longer included in the most current start list. I couple of the men and women have dropped out over the last few days which is a shame. I seem to think Paul has come from an ultra running background and transitioned to the road, to great effect! A bit similar to Tom Evans who is going to be running on Friday.

Ian Leitch from Brighton Phoenix runs. Check him out on Strava if you want to see some ridiculously good long runs.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I felt fine the morning after my AZ jab so went running but then crashed badly afterwards - fever/high temp- and did wonder if running contributed to this. May have been better to just take it easy the next day as a precaution.

I had 6 days off last month. First 2 days precautionary due to my immune system and RA. Then I got headaches and sore joints for 4 days. Probably not wise on day 6 to do a mile in 5 intervals with jog recovery @5:36 pace. I survived without injury but was knackered for the British Master’s Mile 4 days later.

Definitely take it easy as you say.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
When you say off 2 minutes, is that complete rest or jogged recovery?

I tend to vary my sessions between complete rest after intervals and jogging. Whilst I jog at a very slow pace, it makes a fair difference to my recovery.

Just used the Velodrome for 6 x 800 metres with 360 jogged recovery which is around 2 minutes duration. The last interval was 2:41 which I was pleased with. Not too far away from my best mile pace.

Shouldn’t stand still between as likely to have a muscle go. Arena coach always shouting at me to move between intervals at Withdean.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Shouldn’t stand still between as likely to have a muscle go. Arena coach always shouting at me to move between intervals at Withdean.

I do tend to walk around, especially at first as blowing out of my arse and it just feels natural to walk and keep upright.

Who’s in for Ardingly on Easter Monday?

I’ve not run one of these yet, but the field is packed full of the best runners around the county and a few from beyond.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Started my 10k event build up with a nice easy 14k @ 5.30* pace. Well that was the intention. I delivered the 5.30 part but only managed half the distance. Knees creaking, motivation flagging. Need a picture of the Gaffer in full flow to pin up somewhere.

*that's per km Artie, not per mile!

This was me at the last Worthing 10k. Pin this on your wardrobe door.

5BAED332-9B12-47F6-AE65-67D97F1222F0.jpeg

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I do tend to walk around, especially at first as blowing out of my arse and it just feels natural to walk and keep upright.

I’ve not run one of these yet, but the field is packed full of the best runners around the county and a few from beyond.

Is it an off road 10k?

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
When you say off 2 minutes, is that complete rest or jogged recovery?

I tend to vary my sessions between complete rest after intervals and jogging. Whilst I jog at a very slow pace, it makes a fair difference to my recovery.

Just used the Velodrome for 6 x 800 metres with 360 jogged recovery which is around 2 minutes duration. The last interval was 2:41 which I was pleased with. Not too far away from my best mile pace.

hey mate, nice work with the session! Yes it's a 2 minute recovery jog to give it time for the heart rate to settle down but to also stay loose before going again. Standing rests are fine too though, I just prefer to keep the legs moving. The resting time can also be tweaked shorter or longer. I usually go with a rest period roughly 50% of the interval time.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Ian Leitch from Brighton Phoenix runs. Check him out on Strava if you want to see some ridiculously good long runs.

Thanks, will check Ian out and hope he goes well on Friday. I think it's great a few of the British and Irish elites (both funded and non funded) are transparent with their training on Strava. Looking at some of the sessions from the likes of Ben Connor, Kevin Seaward (who is a full time school teacher! :bowdown:), Stephen Scullion and Tom Evans on Strava it's on another level!!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Is it an off road 10k?

5k. It’s worth taking a look at the December results. Some really quick times posted. The start is in waves and based on expected finish time.

I’ve got for 18:30 but I’m hoping I might be 10/15 seconds quicker than that if conditions are reasonable.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
This was me at the last Worthing 10k. Pin this on your wardrobe door.

View attachment 135220

You've shed a few pounds since that was taken?

The Ardingly event is 5k on the showground. If you look at Sussex Races it's listed and previous results (see below) back up the description of the quality of the field used by Big Nuts. You'll see lots of familiar names. I'm thinking about having a go, but it's several classes above the local Parkruns!

http://results.eventchiptiming.com/results.aspx?CId=16202&RId=8251&EId=8

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Check out the AB Training Group...........they've got an entry qualification of a 16.30 5k - see a few of them out around here (and on top of most of the strava segments)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
You've shed a few pounds since that was taken?

The Ardingly event is 5k on the showground. If you look at Sussex Races it's listed and previous results (see below) back up the description of the quality of the field used by Big Nuts. You'll see lots of familiar names. I'm thinking about having a go, but it's several classes above the local Parkruns!

http://results.eventchiptiming.com/results.aspx?CId=16202&RId=8251&EId=8

I’m up for it. See the Gasson is down for 20:30. Not sure of my expected time anywhere from just under 21 to 21:30 I guess. What’s the ground like?
I see you’re in [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] never knew you’d joined Phoenix.👍

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I’m up for it. See the Gasson is down for 20:30. Not sure of my expected time anywhere from just under 21 to 21:30 I guess. What’s the ground like?
I see you’re in [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] never knew you’d joined Phoenix.��

I joined around August last year. I only live 0.75 miles away from Withdean track so seemed an obvious thing to do. I knew a few people who were from Phoenix too. Arena’s track session is Monday’s which i wouldn’t like, as I use Sunday’s for my long runs.

Before joining Phoenix I was often running with Tom Ulliott’s Group on a Tuesday evening. A really good group but now I work from home, Withdean is much more convenient and a 17:30 start time is great.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Is that the 5k series ? Pal of mine did one of them, finished in about 23 mins I think, was about 10th last out of over 300

I’m out !

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
I'm just coming back from a torn soleus. I too am ultra-wary of doing it again. I've been doing the jog/walk stuff and am now up to 4.5 minutes of running and 0.5 seconds of walking. Yesterday, I met a mate at BHASVIC and we had a kick-about for 2.5 hours. I don't know where the time went. Subconsciously, I was being careful all the time, but found myself sprinting occasionally without knowing it. I ache quite a bit today. Wednesday will be my last jog/walk session. I'm going to risk a gentle 30 minute non-stop run on Friday. I will be "listening" for the slightest sign of any sensation in my calf. This will probably be how it is until I've forgotten about being careful as the running gets easier and the aching gets less.
I imagine this will be the same with you? All the advice seems to be to take it easy and build up gradually. I've been building up to where I am now for about six weeks. I'm really pleased with how I've progressed. Hope you progress well too.

Glad you are progressing with your injury. I decided to test it out with a gentle bike ride of 22km and it felt fine, a bit sore the next day, but I think that's from lack of use. Think I'll go on a few more bike rides to build some strength and then ease back with the couch to 5k routine. Had my last physio evaluation today and they gave me the complete all clear + 3 weeks of strengthening exercises.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Finally managed to order a pair of the Endorphin Speed, which Runners Need currently have in stock in all sizes. FYI

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Is that the 5k series ? Pal of mine did one of them, finished in about 23 mins I think, was about 10th last out of over 300

I’m out !

Tim Geddin is 150th on timed start out of 450! My hopeful 21:05 will start me 420ish. Last 15% of entrants will be better than the Southern XC at Parliament Hill.

25” cut off come on NSC.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Tim Geddin is 150th on timed start out of 450! My hopeful 21:05 will start me 420ish. Last 15% of entrants will be better than the Southern XC at Parliament Hill.

25” cut off come on NSC.

Sub 22 will just about keep you out of the bottom 10 based on the last one.......I couldn’t even do that atm :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here