Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Day 366 of my Runstreak today, so a year of running every day.

I had thought about running my first marathon today - essentially running from home to the West Pier before turning round and coming back, which should be pretty much the exact distance but...

- My dodgy knee has been sore
- I was already up to 244 miles in January (my second highest), with 62 miles in the last week, so I was feeling a bit weary
- I've never run with water or food, although my longest runs tend to be 15-17 miles, and I was unsure if I'd make the full 26 without having something, and I have no easy means of carrying stuff. Having to stop at shops isn't what I want to do, as when I do try 26.2, I want to run the whole thing without a break.

So I decided to have a bit of a blast over 10 miles instead, and in doing so managed to take a bit off my best running it in 1:08:01, down from 1:10:36. At the start of this run streak, my 10 mile best was 1:19:39.

So, 2,482 miles over the last year with all runs starting and ending at my front door.

Onto year 2!

Outstanding :bowdown:

Wouldn’t recommend even trying to run 26.2 without at least some water even this time of year.........

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Day 366 of my Runstreak today, so a year of running every day.

I had thought about running my first marathon today - essentially running from home to the West Pier before turning round and coming back, which should be pretty much the exact distance but...

- My dodgy knee has been sore
- I was already up to 244 miles in January (my second highest), with 62 miles in the last week, so I was feeling a bit weary
- I've never run with water or food, although my longest runs tend to be 15-17 miles, and I was unsure if I'd make the full 26 without having something, and I have no easy means of carrying stuff. Having to stop at shops isn't what I want to do, as when I do try 26.2, I want to run the whole thing without a break.

So I decided to have a bit of a blast over 10 miles instead, and in doing so managed to take a bit off my best running it in 1:08:01, down from 1:10:36. At the start of this run streak, my 10 mile best was 1:19:39.

So, 2,482 miles over the last year with all runs starting and ending at my front door.

Onto year 2!

Incredible year of running Bozza! :bowdown:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Outstanding :bowdown:

Wouldn’t recommend even trying to run 26.2 without at least some water even this time of year.........

Yeah, I did a bit of searching last night and found a few people on running forums who have done it and, in the main, they seem to be like me - they just never take liquid with them on any of their runs and don't get thirsty when they're out.

One of my two running jackets has zip up pockets, so I figured I could stuff a bit of food in each pocket - maybe a couple of hot cross buns, but any reasonable volume of liquid is a different proposition completely.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yeah, I did a bit of searching last night and found a few people on running forums who have done it and, in the main, they seem to be like me - they just never take liquid with them on any of their runs and don't get thirsty when they're out.

One of my two running jackets has zip up pockets, so I figured I could stuff a bit of food in each pocket - maybe a couple of hot cross buns, but any reasonable volume of liquid is a different proposition completely.

If you’re happy existing on not much, best option is probably a belt with a couple of small bottles (don’t go for a single large bottle, they bounce too much and are irritating). I’ve got a Nathan belt that has 2 x 250ml bottles on it and barely notice it. There’s a small pocket that easily takes a phone and a couple of gels, bag of jellybeans and/or a flapjack too. Other option would be a vest with a bladder or bottles........again there are some very smart lightweight versions available (Salomon S Lab series probably the gold standard but equally Decathlon do some excellent and much cheaper stuff).

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

If you really don’t want to carry bottles you could alway put a couple of water bottles in a safe place en route beforehand or if you plan your run so you pass by your starting point you could leave a bottle there.

Great running and perseverance. Running every single day is the text book definition of “being hooked”. Not only this but you started the life/mind saving “coronavirus good news” thread and administer NSC. Can you score goals? Look out Marcus Rashford.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
My calf went again two weeks ago - tightening? I left it a few days and it felt as right as rain. I went running again albeit very slowly and it played up again after a mile so stopped. Went out on the bike when the sensation had gone a few days after that. Ironically, my front wheel ceased up after 6 miles! I somehow freed it up and it got me home. It's now booked in for a service.
Went running again three days ago after the leg once again felt great. Got two hundred yards and had to stop. Really frustrating. I'm now going to give it three weeks of rest and try again at a very, very slow pace.
I'm getting a pair of new running shoes, knee supports and support socks as a birthday present next week. Looks like they'll all stay in their boxes for a while yet!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My calf went again two weeks ago - tightening? I left it a few days and it felt as right as rain. I went running again albeit very slowly and it played up again after a mile so stopped. Went out on the bike when the sensation had gone a few days after that. Ironically, my front wheel ceased up after 6 miles! I somehow freed it up and it got me home. It's now booked in for a service.
Went running again three days ago after the leg once again felt great. Got two hundred yards and had to stop. Really frustrating. I'm now going to give it three weeks of rest and try again at a very, very slow pace.
I'm getting a pair of new running shoes, knee supports and support socks as a birthday present next week. Looks like they'll all stay in their boxes for a while yet!

Sounds very similar to my history- constant cycle of tight calves and muscle tears. Chance discussion with a physio about something else led to this......it was basically a miracle cure. After 2-3 calf tears every year, not had anything serious since. Caused by something called ‘adverse neural mobility’ - the link below contains the instant fix. No harm in trying it.....

https://youtu.be/zzcncRdkHno

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Sounds very similar to my history- constant cycle of tight calves and muscle tears. Chance discussion with a physio about something else led to this......it was basically a miracle cure. After 2-3 calf tears every year, not had anything serious since. Caused by something called ‘adverse neural mobility’ - the link below contains the instant fix. No harm in trying it.....

https://youtu.be/zzcncRdkHno
Thanks very much. I'll give it a go.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Wow Jim the For Rangers Ultra sounds epic, if absolutely brutal! Do you know how many are taking part and have you been to Kenya before?

Wishing you all the very best with the training and taking on the challenge out there. What an adventure of a lifetime!

For the last few years I've dreamt of making the pilgrimage to Iten. Maybe one day.

You’re never too old...

I turn 50 next year. I’d planned to have this under my belt by then, as I was meant to complete it last September but events got in the way, it means I’ve been training for this thing for 18 months already. I dare not ease off at this stage.

Apparently 70 competitors. Any more than that and the rangers can’t keep an eye out for anything queuing up to eat me.

Never been to Kenya. I lived in Nigeria for a few years and have dotted about South and West Africa but wasn’t a runner then. I was a good few stone heavier and hadn’t discovered the joy of repeatedly putting one foot in front of the other.

I’ve run a few marathons (mainly Brighton but a couple of trail ones too) but I’ve done nothing like this. It really will be an astonishing experience, if it ever happens. Truly the experience of a lifetime but it’s also terrifying when I think about it... so I try not to think too hard about it for now. :lol:

As an aside, Secret Safari is currently running in Channel 4. It’s filmed in Ol Pejeta reserve, which is one of the conservancies along the route of the ForRangers Ultra. Might be a nice little distraction until you can get to Iten.

Thanks for the best wishes. :smile:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If you’re happy existing on not much, best option is probably a belt with a couple of small bottles (don’t go for a single large bottle, they bounce too much and are irritating). I’ve got a Nathan belt that has 2 x 250ml bottles on it and barely notice it. There’s a small pocket that easily takes a phone and a couple of gels, bag of jellybeans and/or a flapjack too. Other option would be a vest with a bladder or bottles........again there are some very smart lightweight versions available (Salomon S Lab series probably the gold standard but equally Decathlon do some excellent and much cheaper stuff).

I can vouch for the S Lab with bottles. Got one for Serpent Trail 2020 (cancelled) and Beachy Head 2020 (deferred) but did a few long training runs on the road and the downs with it. Great once you get used to it. [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] if you go down that route I'd probably take it on a couple of shorter trial runs first to make sure you are happy as the bottle takes a little getting used to and there are a couple of different ways of packing it.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Tough luck Jack and it happens to us all. The knobbly roller on the right of this is what I use to release tight legs. Worth buying just for the name Fitbeast.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fitbeast-M...t=&hvlocphy=1006812&hvtargid=pla-827594545419

Otherwise you need patience or a physio. Good luck. Sounds like you have my ability to get injured the minute I buy new gear!

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Maffetone Training Update

**********MAFFETONE TRAINING UPDATE**********

Hi all, as promised a few weeks back for any of you interested, a quick update on my Maffetone training experience after 1 month.

My quick back story. I have been running for about 10yrs now. Virtually all my training was done around 4.30-5min/KM (7:15 - 8 min/mile) and although I enjoyed it I wasn't making much progress on PB's, plus I was always absolutely gassed after a run (I think the technical term is blowing out my arse!). My watch was telling me my heart rate was consistently 185-195bpm but I took no real notice of this. I then suffered a hamstring injury in the autumn which kept returning. So after a bit of research on the internet (and going down a few YouTube rabbit holes) I came across low heart rate training and specifically Maffetone. This basically told me I was doing all my training runs at waaaaay too high a heart rate. So I got myself a chest heart rate monitor, strapped it on and on 1st Jan off I went.

Part of the Maffetone plan is the suggestion that you do a monthly 'MAF Test' at your given heart rate (mine is 143bpm) to track progress. Results of my first 2 tests below, plus a graph which plots the average pace for all my runs year to date - these have all been at a max 143bpm.

MAF2.jpg

So, I'm making steady progress. I still feel painfully slow at 6.30 min/KM however I am definitely running now, as opposed to shuffling/jogging/walking in the early days of this plan. The other good news is I am totally free on any niggles or injuries and feeling so fresh as opposed to how I used to feel when I was doing all my runs as tempo runs. My volume is around 55KM per week but I literally feel like, time permitting, I could double it. Running slower has allowed me to focus on some other things such as my technique and foot strike as well my breathing. I now only breathe (in and out) thru my nose which also seems to help keep the heart rate down.

I'm really enjoying it (although there is still days I absolutely hate it!), my plan is to stick with it for another 2-3 months and then bring in the speed work and hills again. If I can get down to 5-5.30min/KM at 143bpm I'll be over the moon! If anyone is thinking about it I would say give it a go for sure, once you get over the initial frustrations of running slow it's great. My final thought is that every runner, old, young, fast or slow should invest in a chest heart rate monitor. They are an absolute game changer!

I'll post results of MAF Test 3 next month. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
You’re never too old...

I turn 50 next year. I’d planned to have this under my belt by then, as I was meant to complete it last September but events got in the way, it means I’ve been training for this thing for 18 months already. I dare not ease off at this stage.

Apparently 70 competitors. Any more than that and the rangers can’t keep an eye out for anything queuing up to eat me.

Never been to Kenya. I lived in Nigeria for a few years and have dotted about South and West Africa but wasn’t a runner then. I was a good few stone heavier and hadn’t discovered the joy of repeatedly putting one foot in front of the other.

I’ve run a few marathons (mainly Brighton but a couple of trail ones too) but I’ve done nothing like this. It really will be an astonishing experience, if it ever happens. Truly the experience of a lifetime but it’s also terrifying when I think about it... so I try not to think too hard about it for now. :lol:

As an aside, Secret Safari is currently running in Channel 4. It’s filmed in Ol Pejeta reserve, which is one of the conservancies along the route of the ForRangers Ultra. Might be a nice little distraction until you can get to Iten.

Thanks for the best wishes. :smile:

Amazing Jim! What an adventure! I hope it goes ahead. Keep us posted and I'll be putting a contribution in the pot. :thumbsup:

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

Hi all, as promised a few weeks back for any of you interested, a quick update on my Maffetone training experience after 1 month.

My quick back story. I have been running for about 10yrs now. Virtually all my training was done around 4.30-5min/KM (7:15 - 8 min/mile) and although I enjoyed it I wasn't making much progress on PB's, plus I was always absolutely gassed after a run (I think the technical term is blowing out my arse!). My watch was telling me my heart rate was consistently 185-195bpm but I took no real notice of this. I then suffered a hamstring injury in the autumn which kept returning. So after a bit of research on the internet (and going down a few YouTube rabbit holes) I came across low heart rate training and specifically Maffetone. This basically told me I was doing all my training runs at waaaaay too high a heart rate. So I got myself a chest heart rate monitor, strapped it on and on 1st Jan off I went.

Part of the Maffetone plan is the suggestion that you do a monthly 'MAF Test' at your given heart rate (mine is 143bpm) to track progress. Results of my first 2 tests below, plus a graph which plots the average pace for all my runs year to date - these have all been at a max 143bpm.

View attachment 133227

So, I'm making steady progress. I still feel painfully slow at 6.30 min/KM however I am definitely running now, as opposed to shuffling/jogging/walking in the early days of this plan. The other good news is I am totally free on any niggles or injuries and feeling so fresh as opposed to how I used to feel when I was doing all my runs as tempo runs. My volume is around 55KM per week but I literally feel like, time permitting, I could double it. Running slower has allowed me to focus on some other things such as my technique and foot strike as well my breathing. I now only breathe (in and out) thru my nose which also seems to help keep the heart rate down.

I'm really enjoying it (although there is still days I absolutely hate it!), my plan is to stick with it for another 2-3 months and then bring in the speed work and hills again. If I can get down to 5-5.30min/KM at 143bpm I'll be over the moon! If anyone is thinking about it I would say give it a go for sure, once you get over the initial frustrations of running slow it's great. My final thought is that every runner, old, young, fast or slow should invest in a chest heart rate monitor. They are an absolute game changer!

Yes Butch!! Great to see you're making some excellent progress!! It's working! :smile: Thanks for sharing the update. I find all this really fascinating.

The breathing only through the nose is an interesting one. I would have thought that might not optimize oxygen intake.

Definitely with you on investing in a chest heart rate monitor. They're a really useful tool if used correctly.

A fair few people are against them as they feel our heart rate shouldn't "dictate" our running effort, primarily because of the other variables that impact heart rate - sleep, diet, stress, weather, terrain, elevation etc. I don't think it's that black and white though and would definitely recommend one to help monitor our effort when running, as the majority of our time spent running should be at a comfortable effort.

All the best over the coming weeks and months. If you're able to stick with it and it looks like you're in the zone (it requires a seriously high level of patience), you'll be flying in a few months. :thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 2719

View attachment 133227

Hey Butch, how weird I have been doing this since the start of January, but only because I felt I wanted to do a bit longer distance than the standard 5k that I do.

I struggled to like you say because it does seem so slow to get to a reasonable heart rate. I connected my Chest monitor up on the last 4 run, but I have not seen a difference only it responds quicker to less or more work quicker than the wrist readings, they both seem about the same overall to me.

I also like you had a plan to push harder in mid-spring onwards, the cold air seems to make a +10BPM to my HR. That may be because of my sensitive airways, as I am asthmatic.

Are you asthmatic by any chance?

I did get drawn into racing against a horse and beat him! HR went 110% though! Fortunately, it wasn't for long-distance as he stopped to open his bows!

Mouldy 1 Horse 0

I like the graph and will plot mine also in the interest of NSC scientific experiments. :lolol:

Great post by the way.

Here is my PB 5k heart rate.

Fastest Time HR Graph.PNG

Against this morning run, you can see I struggled to start slow and the cold wind did not help my HR.

Slowest 5K HR Graph.PNG

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Tough luck Jack and it happens to us all. The knobbly roller on the right of this is what I use to release tight legs. Worth buying just for the name Fitbeast.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fitbeast-M...t=&hvlocphy=1006812&hvtargid=pla-827594545419

Otherwise you need patience or a physio. Good luck. Sounds like you have my ability to get injured the minute I buy new gear!

Hate to say it, but the calf strain is known as the old man's injury. The foam roller should help but rest is important. I know the score: it goes away, you go out to test it ...and pop, back to square one. Frustrating or what.

D

Deleted member 2719

I got one of these before Christmas to loosen me up, seems to have freed my back and hamstrings up no end, it is quite hardcore on first use as you can maximise the tension using your body weight.

IMG_20210131_144402935.jpg

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Before covid it was a monthly meet in PP with 3-4 heats based on times. Now it's virtual and anywhere. A mile downhill with a 50 mph tailwind is acceptable. Try it in February.

Nicky Yeates is a battler and I had trouble getting round her on the track a few years back. A woman as competitive as @GNT!

Had a 9m hilly run today taking Bear Road with 3 fag stops (without a cigarette) on the way up. Plan was to miss the east wind on the seafront and then have it push me home for the last 3 miles. All going well.

Nice one.

I knocked out a 49.47 over a windy 10k today. Pleased to get under the 50, but lots of room for improvement. (Note for AG purposes: this modest time still just scrapes you over the 70%,,,,,, as long as you are 66.)

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Well I achieved my goal of completing the 100km challenge for January and managed to get well over my 10m in a run target as well. Plodders of the running world unite!

Capturerunbrg.JPG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here