Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
I'm pretty sure such a thread would include most everyone who posts on this one apart from [MENTION=11816]Artie Fufkin[/MENTION]! :thumbsup:

The more contributions from NSC running folks the better I say!

No matter where we're at, whether it's taking up running for the first time or digging out the old trainers after an extended break, out on the road, countryside trails, up mountains or on a track, sharing the experiences of running is great.

I get the impression straying into cycling talk might not be so welcome though... :lolol:

And yes I think we could really give any football team forum's running group a run for their money in race conditions. :ascarf:

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Hey guys, just a couple of pre-match nuggets:

1. If anyone is looking to secure a place at an Autumn road marathon and fancies a change from Brighton (and thinking positively that mass participation running events will be able to take place by then) the Manchester Marathon has opened up limited guaranteed spaces for Oct. 10th. I can't recommend Manchester highly enough. Fast and flat and brilliantly organised. It's awesome!

https://www.manchestermarathon.co.u...W8ItrsvcQxR3LdXD7NmLhdXscSPBXCQBoCIX0QAvD_BwE

2. Some recommended weekend reading - if there's one article to clearly explain why the majority of our running should be at a comfortable aerobic effort this Runners World piece from 2009 about the legendary Arthur Lydiard training approach that I came across last night is the one.

https://www.runnersworld.com/advanced/a20797781/essential-lydiard/

Come on Albion!! Let's bring the 3 points home this afternoon! :ascarf:

Have a good weekend of running guys. Take it easy.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
2. Some recommended weekend reading - if there's one article to clearly explain why the majority of our running should be at a comfortable aerobic effort this Runners World piece from 2009 about the legendary Arthur Lydiard training approach that I came across last night is the one.

https://www.runnersworld.com/advanced/a20797781/essential-lydiard/

Come on Albion!! Let's bring the 3 points home this afternoon! :ascarf:

Have a good weekend of running guys. Take it easy.

A well deserved 3 points! I sense Leeds may be suffering from too high an intensity in the first half of the season and should learn to conserve energy, let the ball do the work and use more of their Championship squad.

That article is spot on how I train for a couple of summer full out efforts. 3 months marathon training with slow mileage. A month stepping up the pace and then 3 weeks finding race speed. Taper and then race. Then a few months sitting back.
To achieve this one needs to highlight just a handful of races (or attempts during Covid) in the year.
This quote "the coach had prescribed extended hiking " at the beginning of the building of the base foundation is a reason why I have overcome not being able to run for 5-6 months. It's kept me at 70% fitness. This week 25 miles running 25 miles walking/trudging in mud

It's horses for courses though and some people don't want to peak but just enjoy getting out for a couple of hard efforts twice a week.

Finally you need belief that you will reach that speed and goals in the summer.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
A well deserved 3 points! I sense Leeds may be suffering from too high an intensity in the first half of the season and should learn to conserve energy, let the ball do the work and use more of their Championship squad.

That article is spot on how I train for a couple of summer full out efforts. 3 months marathon training with slow mileage. A month stepping up the pace and then 3 weeks finding race speed. Taper and then race. Then a few months sitting back.
To achieve this one needs to highlight just a handful of races (or attempts during Covid) in the year.
This quote "the coach had prescribed extended hiking " at the beginning of the building of the base foundation is a reason why I have overcome not being able to run for 5-6 months. It's kept me at 70% fitness. This week 25 miles running 25 miles walking/trudging in mud

It's horses for courses though and some people don't want to peak but just enjoy getting out for a couple of hard efforts twice a week.

:bowdown: Gaffer. That's the building blocks of positive anabolic development right there. The bigger the base, the higher the peak "pyramid" training is perfect.

Similar analogies I like are making a cake or building a house. There's not a lot of point us spending time trying to make a ton of icing or build a large roof (hard efforts & high intensity work) if we haven't first spent enough time and used enough ingredients/built enough bricks to bake a big enough cake sponge or build a big enough house (aerobic endurance foundation) for the icing to go on top or to hold the roof up. I'm spending most of my time running trying my best to make the biggest cake or build the biggest house I can.

As for the match, I thought Leeds looked fatigued pretty early on. It was a really smart, controlled performance from us (just like our running should be) :lol: We look much fitter and who knew our Joel Veltman has a real change of pace!! I listened to the Man City game on 5Live and the co-commentator Pat Nevin mentioned that we looked fitter than City in the second half. I think he's right, we do look fit at the moment.

My resting heart rate did get a little too elevated for my liking watching most of the second half yesterday though... :lol:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good stuff !

Just about back in the game this week, although vertigo not completely gone I can run as long as I don’t look quickly left or right [emoji23][emoji23] Ploddy 12 miles this morning with a pal to knock up 40m for the week, the highlight of which was a quick chat with Dodge and the FDM who were running in the opposite direction. Both look fit enough to do a job still [emoji106]

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
We should be ashamed of ourselves: 5 days without a posting! I'll fill the vacuum with a dull seafront 5k @ 22.53. Early season form hit by nasty bug (not THE bug) for the last 2 weeks.

Glad it wasn't THE bug.
I'm sticking to my mileage training and all going very well. Running 25 miles a week, 9:30 average pace, on pavements and walking 25 on sludgy, muddy hills. Only raced one 300 metres when someone tried to take me on steep the hill up from Preston Park to Dyke Road. Allowed all other runners to overtake and just focused on time on feet.

I'm in awe that THE Gasson is now following me on Strava. I'll be aiming to pip his mile time in any virtual summer race. Never thought the day would come that I'd be chasing down OAPs.......

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Hi all. Not been on here for ages. Just done a lovely ten miler though was a tad icy in places.

What i want to know is, how come I'm still always too hot in shorts and t-shirt when all the other runners out there have trousers, tights, coat, wooly hat etc.?!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Glad it wasn't THE bug.
I'm sticking to my mileage training and all going very well. Running 25 miles a week, 9:30 average pace, on pavements and walking 25 on sludgy, muddy hills. Only raced one 300 metres when someone tried to take me on steep the hill up from Preston Park to Dyke Road. Allowed all other runners to overtake and just focused on time on feet.

I'm in awe that THE Gasson is now following me on Strava. I'll be aiming to pip his mile time in any virtual summer race. Never thought the day would come that I'd be chasing down OAPs.......

Well, mate, there's OAPs and there's OAPs! I think the Gasson is well up the national age groups ratings for his mile time,(Talking of which I picked up my first state pension payment last week.)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Walmsley has just finished the 100k in 6.09 and can currently be seen chucking up into a bin on the live feed. Unbelievable performance. 6 min miles for 6 hours.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Reflecting on your strategy, it does make a lot of sense (esp with the science behind it). The thing is that the strategy is perfectly suited to lockdown circumstances with no events. When there are regular events - most obviously the 52 weeks a year Parkruns - there's a whole bunch of us that are basically trying to peak (or maintain a peak) for those 52 events. This is clearly not peaking!
But with the enforced lack of events, plus the incentive of a one off event - not quite the summer Olympics in your case but the attempt on the 80% AG - the lockdown is an advantage as there's simply no temptation to deviate from the programme.
Personally I don't think I'd have the patience to follow such a structured approach to training but from a distance it will be interesting to watch how things go for you.
In short, I get it!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Reflecting on your strategy, it does make a lot of sense (esp with the science behind it). The thing is that the strategy is perfectly suited to lockdown circumstances with no events. When there are regular events - most obviously the 52 weeks a year Parkruns - there's a whole bunch of us that are basically trying to peak (or maintain a peak) for those 52 events. This is clearly not peaking!
But with the enforced lack of events, plus the incentive of a one off event - not quite the summer Olympics in your case but the attempt on the 80% AG - the lockdown is an advantage as there's simply no temptation to deviate from the programme.
Personally I don't think I'd have the patience to follow such a structured approach to training but from a distance it will be interesting to watch how things go for you.
In short, I get it!

It's what I aim at every year. Winter mileage for XC and maybe the marathon. Slow twitch muscle work.

184 Parkruns over 13 years at an average of 23:05 (67.5%) shows that I don't aim to peak at Parkrun or even do too many. I usually amble round and sometimes give it some welly in the last mile. Max 5 Parkruns full out effort a year and I always give The Weakest Link relay 110%, can't let the team down.

The missing part for me is the Tempo run. Need to start it sparingly in the winter. 7:10 target tempo. So will start with 1 mile a week and add half a mile each week. Initially start at 7:45 pace and move up to target pace if possible.

Then come May I can start the 6 week fine tuning of the fast twitch muscles.

Really happy I'm running again.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
It's what I aim at every year. Winter mileage for XC and maybe the marathon. Slow twitch muscle work.

184 Parkruns over 13 years at an average of 23:05 (67.5%) shows that I don't aim to peak at Parkrun or even do too many. I usually amble round and sometimes give it some welly in the last mile. Max 5 Parkruns full out effort a year and I always give The Weakest Link relay 110%, can't let the team down.

The missing part for me is the Tempo run. Need to start it sparingly in the winter. 7:10 target tempo. So will start with 1 mile a week and add half a mile each week. Initially start at 7:45 pace and move up to target pace if possible.

Then come May I can start the 6 week fine tuning of the fast twitch muscles.

Really happy I'm running again.

Scary level of focus!:)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Anyone else wishing for a bit of snow, just so they can go for a run on it?

Or is it just me?

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Hi all

Some advice for my wife please?

She has been diagnosed (virtually) with Plantar fasciitis and been told that this is a result of her frequent running regime. She knows that resting will most likely help fix the issue.

However, in all honestly she loves her running and it is mostly beneficial for her healthy mind as much as anything. She has looked up some advice and found some socks and heal pads which can help. Ultimately I looking for any advice on things she can do to continue running. She currently does 10k 7 days a week and I have said that at the minimum that should be halved.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Hi all. Not been on here for ages. Just done a lovely ten miler though was a tad icy in places.

What i want to know is, how come I'm still always too hot in shorts and t-shirt when all the other runners out there have trousers, tights, coat, wooly hat etc.?!

Because they're all soft, and you and I are hard.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Hi all

Some advice for my wife please?

She has been diagnosed (virtually) with Plantar fasciitis and been told that this is a result of her frequent running regime. She knows that resting will most likely help fix the issue.

However, in all honestly she loves her running and it is mostly beneficial for her healthy mind as much as anything. She has looked up some advice and found some socks and heal pads which can help. Ultimately I looking for any advice on things she can do to continue running. She currently does 10k 7 days a week and I have said that at the minimum that should be halved.

Difficult to say what the best way to go is. I know people who've had PF and carried on running through it but, for others, the only way it went was knocking running on the head completely.

I'm not basing these approaches on much more than common sense, but – as well as your suggestion to cut down to 5k runs – why doesn't she either replace a few of the running days with walking (or, even better, rest days if you can persuade her) or stop completely for, say a week or two and then build it back up slowly – depending on how the PF is? I'd also suggest slowing her runs down and running on softer ground, so as to limit the potential aggravation.

Either way, I share her frustrations. A PT suggested to me a few years back to stop running for a couple of weeks and replace it with yoga to help with my flexibility. As an avid runner it was torture!

Good luck :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here