Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
Just popping by to say hi. Looks like people are staying pretty motivated. I did the Centurion virtual 100 miles in a week event in November which was a proper challenge. I decided to raise some cash for the RNLI and so ran from my local station in Littlehampton to Shoreham in the middle of the night and, a few days later, from LA to Selsey RNLI. I ended up with about 25k to go on the last day and a really, really sore Achilles so had to walk that distance to get the target.

It's been more gentle running since then as the Achilles is still sensitive to distance but still getting out there. Lovely run round Cissbury and Chanctonbury over the weekend.

How's everyones' goals for this year going?

I'm doing a virtual Lands End to John O'Groats event for the year and signed up for another 100 mile in a week Centurion event....

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Should I be doing muscle building exercises whilst I still have the injury? I have done bits because I don’t really feel any pain if I’m squatting or lunging for example. In fact, it was after a few days of these kind of exercises throughout a week that I assumed I was good to run again as I wasn’t feeling pain.

I’d say a cautious yes but it depends on the level of pain and the actual injury. It doesn’t sound like a tear otherwise the pain would be there all the time. You should be ok starting with gentle stuff and then gradually building it up. Icing will help.

There’s a stretch called he “pigeon” (sort of lying on your front, with your back arched and one leg crossed in front of you and arms stretched in front - google it) that’s good for the ITB.

See a physio if it gets no better.

Jimmy Grimble

It's a positive sign if you're not experiencing any pain when you're squatting and lunging. I'd recommend doing a bit each day (little and often) and giving it a few weeks. If it does hurt, best to stop.

With the 30 day squat challenge you start small and gradually build up over the month. So on day 1 try 50 squats (or 5 sets of 10 with 30/60 secs rest in between). Combining the rehab (rest, stretching) with some prehab (strength work) is a good mix for both injury prevention and getting the body conditioned to absorb the work we're putting in. It's not muscle building, it's muscle strengthening.

Appreciated. I do a fair amount of HIIT sessions which sometimes incorporate leg strengthening exercises, though I wonder if the repetitive nature of some of the exercises can be detrimental (especially if I don’t stretch!).

Jimmy Grimble

I’d say a cautious yes but it depends on the level of pain and the actual injury. It doesn’t sound like a tear otherwise the pain would be there all the time. You should be ok starting with gentle stuff and then gradually building it up. Icing will help.

There’s a stretch called he “pigeon” (sort of lying on your front, with your back arched and one leg crossed in front of you and arms stretched in front - google it) that’s good for the ITB.

See a physio if it gets no better.

Thanks.

I’m a sight for sore eyes when I try that pigeon stretch[emoji1787].

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Should I be doing muscle building exercises whilst I still have the injury? I have done bits because I don’t really feel any pain if I’m squatting or lunging for example. In fact, it was after a few days of these kind of exercises throughout a week that I assumed I was good to run again as I wasn’t feeling pain.

Ha ha I was a few seconds late but...
If you can stretch, the seated pigeon is the one. Have a google. Since annual problems, I do it after every run and always dread it. When not running for a length of time it’s the first area that tightens up.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Appreciated. I do a fair amount of HIIT sessions which sometimes incorporate leg strengthening exercises, though I wonder if the repetitive nature of some of the exercises can be detrimental (especially if I don’t stretch!).

I'll have to defer to the HIIT guys on the thread to perhaps give us some insight on the benefits as I'm not a fan of it. It's all subjective but I just can't get past how making our heart rate spike in such a rapid repetitive fashion is the best thing we could be doing for our general health improvement.

Plus as you say Jimmy, I struggle with the quick repetitive nature of the "dynamic" load and force HIIT places on our musculoskeletal system. I can see how it's so popular though as it looks like it should work. It makes you work really hard so surely it will make us really fit. It goes back to us thinking the "no pain, no gain" approach must be the best. Let's get a sweat on... :)

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I'll have to defer to the HIIT guys on the thread to perhaps give us some insight on the benefits as I'm not a fan of it. It's all subjective but I just can't get past how making our heart rate spike in such a rapid repetitive fashion is the best thing we could be doing for our general health improvement.

Plus as you say Jimmy, I struggle with the quick repetitive nature of the "dynamic" load and force HIIT places on our musculoskeletal system. I can see how it's so popular though as it looks like it should work. It makes you work really hard so surely it will make us really fit. It goes back to us thinking the "no pain, no gain" approach must be the best. Let's get a sweat on... :)

I've been struggling with the load that "mince pies" have been placing on my musculoskeletal system! :lolol:

Anyway, they are all gone now so I can look to start losing the festive period weight gain, though I shall take it slowly as I tweaked my back and missed a week's running after a 14 mile run and a couple of hours with my hands shoved down a rodding point to clear a blocked drain. Such is life...

On the plus side I've really noticed how much the change in location has affected my running - nearly 80k of elevation gain this past year, compared with 25k in the previous year at my old house just a few miles away on the other side of town.

Jimmy Grimble

The HIIT stuff I do enjoy and certainly notice improvements in my physical health and appearance. I’m pretty sure it has helped with my short distance running too based on my 5k times. Ultimately it suits my lifestyle so I will keep going with them and just make sure I rest and stretch more!

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I've just clocked up my first 100km using the Maffetone training method so thought I would post a quick update on my experiences so far for anyone interested. I'll post a more thorough review with times (and even a progress graph!) at the end of the month!

I calculated my MAF heart rate to be 143bpm. So ALL of my training needs to be in the range 133-143bpm.

What I've learnt so far.....

• It's easy to get the training volume up and still feel incredibly fresh.
  • I've clearly been training way too fast in the past (basically ALL my runs have been tempo runs) and despite thinking I am fit, my aerobic fitness is not great.
  • I'm coming back from a hamstring injury and it's allowed me to put in decent mileage with no negative side effects
  • It's sooooooo slow, particularly the first few runs. I usually trained at 7.30-8.00 mins per mile. I'm currently at over 11 mins per mile. BUT I am getting quicker.
  • It's mentally quite tough. Running slowly being & overtaken by grannies is demoralising! One way to combat this is to run in the dark! Easy this time of year.
  • It's really hard not to give it some beans - you have to be super disciplined.
  • Sharing runs on Strava is embarrassing at first, until people understand what you are up to!
  • A chest strap HRM is one of the best investments ever - how have a run for so long without one?
  • Gradient has a huge effect on heart rate, as does weather (wind) and even music. I'm keeping my routes pretty flat for now.
  • With a busy home life I find it better to run for a period of time (eg 60-120mins) then for a set distance, which is how I always used to train.

So in summary, it's a little frustrating at first, it's a complete change of mindset, but I am already seeing some progress and I really loving how fresh I feel. My plan is to stick with pure Maffetone for 2-3 months then bring in some speed work.

Safe running all!

BW

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I've just clocked up my first 100km using the Maffetone training method so thought I would post a quick update on my experiences so far for anyone interested. I'll post a more thorough review with times (and even a progress graph!) at the end of the month!

I calculated my MAF heart rate to be 143bpm. So ALL of my training needs to be in the range 133-143bpm.

• I've clearly been training way too fast in the past (basically ALL my runs have been tempo runs) and despite thinking I am fit, my aerobic fitness is not great.
  • I'm coming back from a hamstring injury and it's allowed me to put in decent mileage with no negative side effects
  • It's sooooooo slow, particularly the first few runs. I usually trained at 7.30-8.00 mins per mile. I'm currently at over 11 mins per mile. BUT I am getting quicker.
  • It's mentally quite tough. Running slowly being & overtaken by grannies is demoralising! One way to combat this is to run in the dark! Easy this time of year.
  • It's really hard not to give it some beans - you have to be super disciplined.
  • Sharing runs on Strava is embarrassing at first, until people understand what you are up to!
  • A chest strap HRM is one of the best investments ever - how have a run for so long without one?
  • Gradient has a huge effect on heart rate, as does weather (wind) and even music. I'm keeping my routes pretty flat for now.
  • With a busy home life I find it better to run for a period of time (eg 60-120mins) then for a set distance, which is how I always used to train.

So in summary, it's a little frustrating at first, it's a complete change of mindset, but I am already seeing some progress and I really loving how fresh I feel. My plan is to stick with pure Maffetone for 2-3 months then bring in some speed work.

Safe running all!

BW

Good to hear – looking forward to hearing about your progress. I've seen a lot about the whole 'go slower to go faster' approach, but I'm not disciplined enough to stick to it. I might be able to run every day, but I like to mix it up, so that every day isn't the same – route, pace, elevation, etc, etc. But I wouldn't rule it out as an experiment at some point in the future.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Good to hear – looking forward to hearing about your progress. I've seen a lot about the whole 'go slower to go faster' approach, but I'm not disciplined enough to stick to it. I might be able to run every day, but I like to mix it up, so that every day isn't the same – route, pace, elevation, etc, etc. But I wouldn't rule it out as an experiment at some point in the future.

interesting one as just spent last 6 weeks longer and slower and can honestly say hasn't impacted my shorter runs PBs. For me the pushing faster shorter runs (every run)works best for PBS and fitness ahead of everything else.

Individual I guess

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
I've been struggling with the load that "mince pies" have been placing on my musculoskeletal system! :lolol:

Anyway, they are all gone now so I can look to start losing the festive period weight gain, though I shall take it slowly as I tweaked my back and missed a week's running after a 14 mile run and a couple of hours with my hands shoved down a rodding point to clear a blocked drain. Such is life...

On the plus side I've really noticed how much the change in location has affected my running - nearly 80k of elevation gain this past year, compared with 25k in the previous year at my old house just a few miles away on the other side of town.

:lol: it's a sad day when we realise we're down to our last box of mince pies (perfect running fuel) :down:

Nice work with the elevation. I find putting in the effort on the hills really pays dividends. When you then get to run on the flat it feels like you're flying...

Hope the back settles down. :thumbsup:

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
The HIIT stuff I do enjoy and certainly notice improvements in my physical health and appearance. I’m pretty sure it has helped with my short distance running too based on my 5k times. Ultimately it suits my lifestyle so I will keep going with them and just make sure I rest and stretch more!

Nice JG! :thumbsup: Good to hear you're feeling the benefits of HIIT.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
interesting one as just spent last 6 weeks longer and slower and can honestly say hasn't impacted my shorter runs PBs. For me the pushing faster shorter runs (every run)works best for PBS and fitness ahead of everything else.

Individual I guess

I guess so. I think [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] was the one of the first people I heard talking about it and it seemed to work for him. Unless I'm imagining it and it was someone else...

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

Safe running all!

BW

YES BW! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: Love all of this!! You clearly know what you need to do. You have every box ticked right there. Brilliant stuff! :bowdown:

Thanks for the update! Super interesting for a running nerd like me. :thumbsup:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I guess so. I think [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] was the one of the first people I heard talking about it and it seemed to work for him. Unless I'm imagining it and it was someone else...

Probably me. Many of us have discussed on here how a 12 week slow marathon training plan got us 5K pbs/sbs. Speed work for 4-6 weeks after would only find a 10% reduction in time.

Horses for courses though. If I ran full out all year, I'd have matchstick legs and arms, a skull face and weigh under 10 stone. (Expectation of replies saying you do look like that!)

Last edited:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
:lol: it's a sad day when we realise we're down to our last box of mince pies (perfect running fuel) :down:

Nice work with the elevation. I find putting in the effort on the hills really pays dividends. When you then get to run on the flat it feels like you're flying...

Hope the back settles down. :thumbsup:

Ta, I just realised I missed out the unit of measurement for the elevation gain - it is in feet. I live in one of those locations where you start going up as soon as you leave the house!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Running no problem again and ready for hard work. A 10 miler on Tuesday at 9:30 pace was done on the back of a lot of walking this month. Apart from struggling for the last mile due to being unfit I avoided any mishaps from ignoring the 10% increase in mileage rule. The mojo is back but forced myself not to run today and it will be a 10 mile walk tomorrow.

Have set a couple of targets for late Summer 2021. A sub 20:13 5K and a sub 5:48 mile. Both will give an 80% AG. I have a dream...........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here