Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I saw some pictures of people who'd run the Goodwood marathon yesterday and it gave me flashbacks to last year and the most boring marathon – race, even – I've ever done! Good potential for a fast time though, so maybe that's where the NSC Speed Demons were?

D

Deleted member 2719

Bashed out a long one today by my standards, trying to make up on the ground for my distance for the year, after slipping my disc and missing 2 weeks.
The record is still achievable, assuming no illness or injury.

Have to say I feel good for it. It was only 7k, nothing by the targets you guys set and do. But considering I only ever do 5k and the very rare 6k, I was quite happy how strong I finished.
:rave:

D

Deleted member 2719

:sick:��

After reading on here about Welbeck’s Guardian interview I realised I’ve never seen him run. He says only Tariq maybe able to out sprint him from the squad. His goal against Villa looked like he was lumbering but he left the 2 defenders behind and had 100% composure to score. Great speed for the old 30 year old.
Your job, I think you won a seat, and any others going is to report his speed on Monday.

I would be happy to take young Tariq on 35 years ago!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
A big thumbs up from me, for the Hoka ATR Challenger.

Whilst I almost ended up on my arse a few times near Plumpton heading towards SDW it would have taken a fair lug to get you through. But on the remainder of the trail, superb and best of all it felt as quick as a road shoe.

A big thumbs up also for Maverick for another top event and race. There is a West Sussex version in Amberley in late January which could be worth checking out.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Whilst I almost ended up on my arse a few times near Plumpton heading towards SDW it would have taken a fair lug to get you through. But on the remainder of the trail, superb and best of all it felt as quick as a road shoe.
A big thumbs up also for Maverick for another top event and race. There is a West Sussex version in Amberley in late January which could be worth checking out.

Too modest race report judging by Facebook. Sounds like you’re on fire. NSC before f***book please. Good to see you old boys getting better and better.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Good work. I love ‘em. Lugs enough for the Downs (just) and v comfy over longer distances

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Managed to take just over a minute off my 10 mile best yesterday - 1:11:46 (part of a half-marathon) to 1:10:36. It's the first time I've tried to run at pace again, having bimbled along a bit since November's 300 miles.

I have a vague recollection of [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] suggesting 10 miles in under 70 minutes as a target for me recently, although I can't find it now. I wasn't aiming for that at all, but I wasn't too far away.

One thing I've found as part of my general improvement is I am able to deal with running into the wind a lot better than was previously the case. Yesterday the first four miles or so were into a strong Southerly and it didn't slow me down too much, and I knew I'd get the benefit of the wind at my back later on too!

My splits were 7:16 - 7:20 - 7:11 - 7:14 - 7:13 - 6:59 - 6:52 - 6:46 - 7:01 - 6:50

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Managed to take just over a minute off my 10 mile best yesterday - 1:11:46 (part of a half-marathon) to 1:10:36. It's the first time I've tried to run at pace again, having bimbled along a bit since November's 300 miles.

I have a vague recollection of [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] suggesting 10 miles in under 70 minutes as a target for me recently, although I can't find it now. I wasn't aiming for that at all, but I wasn't too far away.

One thing I've found as part of my general improvement is I am able to deal with running into the wind a lot better than was previously the case. Yesterday the first four miles or so were into a strong Southerly and it didn't slow me down too much, and I knew I'd get the benefit of the wind at my back later on too!

My splits were 7:16 - 7:20 - 7:11 - 7:14 - 7:13 - 6:59 - 6:52 - 6:46 - 7:01 - 6:50

Outstanding [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Yes I remember that. Given the right conditions I wouldn’t think it would cause you too many problems next time around.

As a race, 10 miles is my favourite distance. You can attack it without it being too far. A real shame there are so few flat 10 mile road events.

Anyway if you get 10 miles at sub 70 your next challenge is 9 miles in an hour. That would be a real test and may take a few attempts to get there.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

I love these shoes - given that (unless I drive, which I prefer not to) all my off-road routes require a few km of road at the beginning and end, I find that full-on trail shoes batter my feet too much, whereas the ATR are comfortable on the road, as you say, and unless the mud is really deep, can cope with most trail routes.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I love these shoes - given that (unless I drive, which I prefer not to) all my off-road routes require a few km of road at the beginning and end, I find that full-on trail shoes batter my feet too much, whereas the ATR are comfortable on the road, as you say, and unless the mud is really deep, can cope with most trail routes.

Are these shoes a neutral gait? Also has anyone got the gore tex version? I need to replace my gore tex trails and like you I run a couple of miles on the road to get to the trail so I’m looking for a hybrid, this one looks good.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Are these shoes a neutral gait? Also has anyone got the gore tex version? I need to replace my gore tex trails and like you I run a couple of miles on the road to get to the trail so I’m looking for a hybrid, this one looks good.

Yes - they're neutral. Definitely not waterproof though.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Another one for Hoka Challengers. Love em, still wear my old beaten up one. Even though they’re neutral, you get a good amount of stability to n them. The most comfy trainers for both light trail and the road. Used them for a number of Ultras. But heavy for the road but can transition between most terrain. Definitely recommend them.

Never any real point in got tex shoes in my opinion. I did the South Downs way in some Brooks Gore tex mainly because they kept the heat in at night when I slowed down, they drained water pretty much like any other trainer. They worked well, but not what they were intended for! Heavy as f**k as well. Haha

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’ll never wear waterproof trainers when running again, nit a good experience. Might keep the water out for a bit, but when it does get in (it will, especially after several hours) it won’t get out again. Would rather have damp feet than a trainer-full of water.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly

Great splits. Get down onto the seafront and knock out 5 miles along to shoreham and back with east to westly or whatever. Hard, balls out, into the wind then fly home, you’ll defo beat that time. Using the run to and from home as warm and downs. Running into the wind can double as hill training. Jobs a goodun!

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
I’ll never wear waterproof trainers when running again, nit a good experience. Might keep the water out for a bit, but when it does get in (it will, especially after several hours) it won’t get out again. Would rather have damp feet than a trainer-full of water.

When I wore them they never kept the water out or in.. just a gimmick isn’t it. Like I said above though they do keep the heat in.. which I understand is not good for some people, but I liked them for when you’re on a hill at 3am freezing one tits off. I feel the cold and yes I should run faster! Haha

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
When I wore them they never kept the water out or in.. just a gimmick isn’t it. Like I said above though they do keep the heat in.. which I understand is not good for some people, but I liked them for when you’re on a hill at 3am freezing one tits off. I feel the cold and yes I should run faster! Haha

You’re plenty fast enough anyway........

Oddly I don’t get cold feet, even when wet so I just stick to normal trainers and single layer thin socks. Problem for me is my fingers - even last weekend they were completely numb when I finished my jog (weather was pretty evil - wind and horizontal rain on the SDW) but it wasn’t freezing and I was wearing gloves.

3am is a different issue though isn’t it....I think you get so energy-depleted on the really long runs that it’s almost impossible to keep/get warm. I’ve seen a lot of races ruined (my own and as a volunteer) through people getting too cold to carry on - even in the dry.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here