Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Those of you on runstreaks - how do you make sure you get enough rest/recovery ? I always feel I need one day a week where I don’t run (will usually have a gentle walk instead). Do you have a couple of day where you only do say 20 mins at a very easy pace ?

What’s the motivation for keeping the streak going ?

Often fancied giving it a go but struggling with the risk/reward balance and how not having a day off would negatively impact other sessions.

Way back in my streak, I'd do a "rest day mile" occasionally to preserve the streak and give my legs a rest, but it's been months since I did that now.

But I do take easier days when I feel I need to, which usually means trails instead of road, although because of where I live that usually means hills and there's nothing flat around here.

Today is one of those days. Over the last three weeks my mileage has been 70, 75 and 80 after usually hovering around the 50 mile/week mark. I'm feeling a bit weary so I'll take the dog out over the Downs and take it very easy indeed, both in terms of distance and pace.

I'm ahead of schedule to complete "2,020 miles in 2020" this month - it was 297 miles in 30 days, now down to 63 miles in 8 days - so I can afford a day or two of relative rest.

The motivation now, 297 days in, is just to keep going. To complete a year is now the obvious target, but I know it will then grate that it wasn't a calendar year - I had an achilles injury at the beginning of the year, so my streak started on 31st January.

Beyond that, though, it's just about getting out, and although I do a few times a day with the dog for walks anyway, I enjoy running so much I'm doing it because I can.

I'm a firm advocate in this phrase: "Don't run because you should, run because you can". I also think back to this brief encounter >>> https://medium.com/@darrenmckay/those-who-can-should-7d9b4f5cd0e7

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I checked back on my HM best time history at the weekend. A year ago my best was still 1:53:51, and today it's nearly 20 minutes better. On Saturday I ran a HM in 1:44 at what felt like quite minimal effort before running 17 miles yesterday.

I know Artie has mentioned it time and time again, but consistency really is key. It may not feel like you are making progress, from day-to-day, but you almost certainly will be.

05/04/15 - 2:07:09
03/05/15 - 2:06:08
07/06/15 - 1:55:33
07/07/15 - 1:53:51
08/12/19 - 1:46:31
12/04/20 - 1:41:37
31/10/20 - 1:40:01
16/11/20 - 1:34:48

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Lovely chilly five miler this morning. Now on 1,926 miles this year. Hoping to get to 2,020 miles in 2020. Should be fine but it only takes one call telling me to self-isolate and it could get dicey.

Training for the postponed Kenya trip has done wonderful things for my fitness. I’m not fast but all my PBs have tumbled this year. Hopefully next year I’ll actually get to complete the ultra and I can ease off the training just a little.

Last edited:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Hey Bozza, I'm warming to the Peg 37's a little bit more now but it's taken a while. I still don't find them a particularly fun ride but for the days where I'm just bopping along they seem to be growing on me a tad more in terms of responsiveness.

My new 37s have just arrived. I hadn’t realised they would be grey, lilac with a bit of pink!

Are yours the same Bozza/Artie?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My new 37s have just arrived. I hadn’t realised they would be grey, lilac with a bit of pink!

Are yours the same Bozza/Artie?

I didn't order any as I'm OK for road shoes right now - I've got 8 pairs in rotation, as well as 2 pairs of trail shoes. Mine are this grey/lemon colour scheme - https://www.nike.com/gb/t/air-zoom-pegasus-37-running-shoe-mhP3dS/BQ9646-003

Another killer price, if you need some trail shoes, are the Terra Kiger 6 in red - https://www.nike.com/gb/t/air-zoom-terra-kiger-6-trail-running-shoe-c8vbT9/DA4663-600

Use Bright30 to get them down to just over £50, which is ridiculous. Most other colours are still £115.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Cheers for the tip, Bozza. Didn't go for Pegasus, but the React Miler, which is – according to the company – 'The Perfect Long Distance Running Shoe'. I'm running in some old Nikes at the moment and they're fine, so hopefully these new ones will be too.

Just some new trails to go because mine are falling to pieces :lolol:

These arrived yesterday and – after a wander around the block – I can confirm that they are NOT for me. Can't quite put my finger on it, but part of it is that there is too much trainer – if that makes sense? The sole is big and bulky and even the uppers have almost too much materials. They are hard but comfortable, which I never thought was possible! It also dawned on me as I was testing them out that I've made this mistake with Nikes before – I must've got lucky with the Lunarflys that I'm currently wearing out :lol:

The lesson learned is that I should take my own advice and go to an actual shop when buying new/different runners.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
I checked back on my HM best time history at the weekend. A year ago my best was still 1:53:51, and today it's nearly 20 minutes better. On Saturday I ran a HM in 1:44 at what felt like quite minimal effort before running 17 miles yesterday.

I know Artie has mentioned it time and time again, but consistency really is key. It may not feel like you are making progress, from day-to-day, but you almost certainly will be.

05/04/15 - 2:07:09
03/05/15 - 2:06:08
07/06/15 - 1:55:33
07/07/15 - 1:53:51
08/12/19 - 1:46:31
12/04/20 - 1:41:37
31/10/20 - 1:40:01
16/11/20 - 1:34:48

That's some superb progress Bozza, particularly over the last 10 or so months! It's pretty amazing how with some decent consistency and a lot of patience the magic happens. We need to play the long game. :)

Loved the story in your blog post. There's a lot to be said to being thankful and to consider ourselves fortunate to be able to run happy and healthy while we can. We're the lucky ones. :)

That's definitely come into sharp focus for me as my running has come to an abrupt pause due to having to go into self-isolation. I'm already really missing getting out, but I'm making the most out of the enforced break by prioritising and focusing on stretching, mobility, and strength work to be ready to go again when I can.
I'm thankful I'm healthy and injury free, I just need to be patient.

Unless anyone has a treadmill that's gathering dust and in need of clearing out of the house... :whistle::lolol:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
These arrived yesterday and – after a wander around the block – I can confirm that they are NOT for me. Can't quite put my finger on it, but part of it is that there is too much trainer – if that makes sense? The sole is big and bulky and even the uppers have almost too much materials. They are hard but comfortable, which I never thought was possible! It also dawned on me as I was testing them out that I've made this mistake with Nikes before – I must've got lucky with the Lunarflys that I'm currently wearing out :lol:

The lesson learned is that I should take my own advice and go to an actual shop when buying new/different runners.

Sorry - missed that post when you made it.

I have the React Miler too, bought in a prior sale, but knowing what I was going to get as I watch a shitload of running shoe vlogs and reviews. There is a LOT of shoe there, but I bought them for long, slow runs and I figured the expected heft, which they do have, would almost encourage me to ease off the pace.

I wore them for my 17-mile @ 8:22/mile run on Sunday and they were perfect for that. I'd never wear them if I was wanting to push things a bit though.

The good thing about Nike is you can try stuff out and if you don't get on with it, you can send it back, so you shouldn't be stuck with them - send them back and try something else - https://www.nike.com/gb/help/a/returns-policy-eu

The Peg 37 feels a lot more nimble all-rounder, so might be worth a try.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Sorry - missed that post when you made it.

I have the React Miler too, bought in a prior sale, but knowing what I was going to get as I watch a shitload of running shoe vlogs and reviews. There is a LOT of shoe there, but I bought them for long, slow runs and I figured the expected heft, which they do have, would almost encourage me to ease off the pace.

I wore them for my 17-mile @ 8:22/mile run on Sunday and they were perfect for that. I'd never wear them if I was wanting to push things a bit though.

The good thing about Nike is you can try stuff out and if you don't get on with it, you can send it back, so you shouldn't be stuck with them - send them back and try something else - https://www.nike.com/gb/help/a/returns-policy-eu

The Peg 37 feels a lot more nimble all-rounder, so might be worth a try.

Yep, I've got the returns tab open ready to sort it out. I'll have a look into Peg 37s, but might also wait to go back to one of the tried and tested Asics I've had – or maybe do what I occasionally do and go to The Jog Shop, try a load on and go with whatever feels right.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Just bought some Mizuno Wave Skyrise for 70 sheets at sportsshoes.com off the back of a Run Testers youtube video. Loads of bargains to be had on there.
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] I see you are now local legend of 'Bottom ring'. Are you trying to tell us something?

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
My pair of these arriving today - https://www.saucony.com/UK/en_GB/men%27s-endorphin-pro/44571M.html

I was put off the vaporfly by the colour available and the "everyone has Nike" desire to be a bit different - the saucony received great reviews as the best competitor to Nike. These will be my shoes (hopefully) for spring marathon so I'm keen to get the feel of them. Will aim to put 100 miles into them before race day.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My pair of these arriving today - https://www.saucony.com/UK/en_GB/men%27s-endorphin-pro/44571M.html

I was put off the vaporfly by the colour available and the "everyone has Nike" desire to be a bit different - the saucony received great reviews as the best competitor to Nike. These will be my shoes (hopefully) for spring marathon so I'm keen to get the feel of them. Will aim to put 100 miles into them before race day.

The whole Saucony line-up this season has been excellent and received excellent reviews pretty much across the board.

The training version of that, the Endorphin Speed, was the shoe Seth James DeMoor said he would keep if he could only have one pair of shoes.

I'm a devout Nike fanboy, to the extent I literally do not consider buying anything else at all, but those Sauconys have tempted me a lot! They look brilliant as well as run great.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
The whole Saucony line-up this season has been excellent and received excellent reviews pretty much across the board.

The training version of that, the Endorphin Speed, was the shoe Seth James DeMoor said he would keep if he could only have one pair of shoes.

I'm a devout Nike fanboy, to the extent I literally do not consider buying anything else at all, but those Sauconys have tempted me a lot! They look brilliant as well as run great.

I recently picked up a pair of the Saucony Endorphin Speed (50% off with my Vitality membership via RunnersNeed) and looking forward to trying them out.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Any good Garmin deals out there? Looking to upgrade on my 35 but I've got a bit lazy and only tend to check Amazon these days. Any recommended sites for a bargain during Black Friday season?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

If you're still looking to pick up a new Garmin, the brand's Amazon Black Friday Deal prices on a few of their running watches are lower in price than the Holiday discounts for the same watches on their website.

Here's a few examples

Forerunner 45 (£169.99) Black Friday Deal price on Amazon is £109 vs £139.99 Holiday sale price on Garmin.com

Forerunner 245 (£249.99) on Amazon is £179.00 vs £229.99 on Garmin.com

https://amzn.to/33jkGup

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
If you're still looking to pick up a new Garmin, the brand's Amazon Black Friday Deal prices on a few of their running watches are lower in price than the Holiday discounts for the same watches on their website.

Here's a few examples

Forerunner 45 (£169.99) Black Friday Deal price on Amazon is £109 vs £139.99 Holiday sale price on Garmin.com

Forerunner 245 (£249.99) on Amazon is £179.00 vs £229.99 on Garmin.com

https://amzn.to/33jkGup

Thanks yep nabbed a 245! Hope everyone else grabs a bargain

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Hey guys, if you have Instagram and have 30 minutes to spare I'd recommend checking out this training talk video "Age Is Just A Number" on Up and Running UK's IG TV page - https://www.instagram.com/tv/CH8QrbbHZ1o/?igshid=my4rrdzsdcva

It's with the 41 year old ex semi pro footballer and now rapid distance runner and Commonwealth Games athlete Andrew Davies who last year broke the British V40 marathon record with a 2:14 at Valencia Marathon and his coach, the very top running coach Steve Vernon, head coach of Team New Balance Manchester.

Some brilliant insight into his training programme - the vast majority of his running is at an easy effort (for him). He can run a marathon at 5:09 min/mile pace but runs mostly at or above 7 min/mile to absorb the high volume safely (100+ mile weeks) and he's very careful with his specific speed work to try to stay consistent and injury free which is the key priorities at his age to maintain progress.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here