Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Great running chaps – and nice to see a bit of a resurgence of the thread while we're still (largely) not able to race.

Nothing really of note to report from my side – still running every day and working towards a '300km in a month' target for November. It'll be close, but I'm determined to get there. With 11 days left, I've got 118km (73.3 miles to go) :eek:

Centurion virtual thingy if you need a bit of motivation ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Great running chaps – and nice to see a bit of a resurgence of the thread while we're still (largely) not able to race.

Nothing really of note to report from my side – still running every day and working towards a '300km in a month' target for November. It'll be close, but I'm determined to get there. With 11 days left, I've got 118km (73.3 miles to go) :eek:

I hit 300km yesterday, which I only noticed due to the Strava notification that the endurance running challenge had been completed.

I'm aiming for 300 miles - my most by a significant margin - to complete my 2,020 miles in 2020 a month early. I'm not entirely sure why I'm doing this, other than it came to mind when drunkenly walking home from the pub after the Spurs game!

186 miles covered in 18 days so I'm right on track!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Centurion virtual thingy if you need a bit of motivation ?

Yes, I saw that. Might give it a go, but fortunately motivation isn't an issue at the moment...

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Having read a fair few running books of late I’ve moved away from running to read Peter Hook’s book about The Hacienda night club during the eighties and nineties. Good read but it’s not why I’m posting.

Had some time tonight so had a flick through a few running documentary options and ended up watching Running For Good a documentary about Ultra Runner Fiona Oakes.

A really inspiring story, as she is running with no knee caps somehow and not only that, holds several race victories plus an assortment of world records. I’d never heard of her before but I’d imagine a few of the Ultra Runners from here would have done.

It’s on Amazon Prime and lasts 70 minutes. Any other recommendations?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Having read a fair few running books of late I’ve moved away from running to read Peter Hook’s book about The Hacienda night club during the eighties and nineties. Good read but it’s not why I’m posting.

Had some time tonight so had a flick through a few running documentary options and ended up watching Running For Good a documentary about Ultra Runner Fiona Oakes.

A really inspiring story, as she is running with no knee caps somehow and not only that, holds several race victories plus an assortment of world records. I’d never heard of her before but I’d imagine a few of the Ultra Runners from here would have done.

The Barkley Marathons- the race that eats it’s young

On Netflix and Amazon I think. Madness.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Seconded. Also the one about the west highland way race is good - sorry can’t remember the name!

Thirded. I think [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION] or Artie tipped it on here a while back. I’ve enjoyed doing the West Highland Way but at a sedate 5 day pace.

Latest report from sick note is not good for 2020. A couple of runs has given me rheumatism in my piriformis (glutes ) and giving inflammation in lower back, hips and bum. Not severe but another warning.

Can still walk well but miss indoor swimming as I’m not spending 20” in the sea at this time of year. So off to the hills today.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If you're on the lookout for any kit, Nike have what I think is the best one of their regular discounts on right now - 30% extra off stuff that is already in the sale.

Some shoes in there, but lots more besides.

You can get the Pegasus 37s for £51 (usually £105) - I think they're OK as an all-round daily trainer, but I know Artie is less keen.

Code: BRIGHT30

I'll be buying a pile of stuff that will be returned to me on December 25th!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
The Barkley Marathons- the race that eats it’s young

On Netflix and Amazon I think. Madness.

I’m going to watch this now. I have watched Where Dreams Go To Die before so looking forward to this one.

Watching the amount of pain and suffering, I’m quite smug that I’ve got an easy day of running, in lovely conditions.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I’m going to watch this now. I have watched Where Dreams Go To Die before so looking forward to this one.

Watching the amount of pain and suffering, I’m quite smug that I’ve got an easy day of running, in lovely conditions.

Isn't it due to rain from around lunchtime?

I'm feeling slightly annoyed that I just took the dog for a walk early this morning instead of a run - it was an amazing sunrise. I think I'll get out soon-ish though and try and beat the wet stuff.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Isn't it due to rain from around lunchtime?

I'm feeling slightly annoyed that I just took the dog for a walk early this morning instead of a run - it was an amazing sunrise. I think I'll get out soon-ish though and try and beat the wet stuff.

Rain due here about 2pm. My plan is to head out at 11:30 for an hour.

Was pretty cold out there on the school run but hardly any wind.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
If you're on the lookout for any kit, Nike have what I think is the best one of their regular discounts on right now - 30% extra off stuff that is already in the sale.

You can get the Pegasus 37s for £51 (usually £105) - I think they're OK as an all-round daily trainer, but I know Artie is less keen.

Thanks. Just made a totally impulsive buy. Are the 37s any good??

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Any good Garmin deals out there? Looking to upgrade on my 35 but I've got a bit lazy and only tend to check Amazon these days. Any recommended sites for a bargain during Black Friday season?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

Hey mate, I spent quite a few interesting nights DJ'ing at The Hacienda with the likes of Graeme Park in a previous life when I was at Manchester University from 1995-98. Fun times. :smile:

Back to running related films...

The Fiona Oakes doc is really good!

As dazzer and Bozza have mentioned The Barkley Marathons The Race That Eats Its Young is truly epic (I think the #1 film about the Barkley) and The Ginger Runner's Where Dreams Go To Die following Gary Robbins' back to back attempts at the Barkleys is excellent too.

Here's some other really fantastic Barkley Marathons films on YouTube -

Karel Sabbe's film about his attempt in 2019.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt3XPQFLOF8&t=2659s

Nicky Spinks' Inov-8 film about her attempt also in 2019.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJAW8STfiko&t=36s

Yes, I'm slightly obsessed with the Barkley and it's legendary status :lolol:

There's also a couple of excellent films about the Western States 100. This one is great!

UNBREAKABLE: The Western States 100

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy1as6CTYXI&t=1404s

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

Hey Bozza, I'm warming to the Peg 37's a little bit more now but it's taken a while. I still don't find them a particularly fun ride but for the days where I'm just bopping along they seem to be growing on me a tad more in terms of responsiveness.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I'd say for that price yes definitely a fantastic deal for a more than decent daily neutral all rounder shoe.

Thanks. For years I’ve bought Adrenalines because I needed some support but recent analysis shows it has almost corrected itself. Thought I’d try these as a cheap pair of neutrals. Only £50 wasted if no good.

Can use for casual wear if no good for running.

Seems a very good price

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hey mate, I spent quite a few interesting nights DJ'ing at The Hacienda with the likes of Graeme Park in a previous life when I was at Manchester University from 1995-98. Fun times. :smile:

DJing? A man of many talents.Any video clips?

I suppose you gazelles were too young to be there in the '80s. Running related.Day before we went there we went to a student party in Moss Side. Pub first, friend mocking the accents around us, atmosphere became threatening, picked up our 24 can packs of beer and legged it down the road. Only casualty was the only Manc with us, who thought he'd be safe. A chain whipped across his nose and smashing it showed he wasn't. Citeeh.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

Hey Bozza, talking of books and I know you're a big fan of Nike, if you haven't already I'd definitely recommend reading Shoe Dog a memoir by Mr Nike Inc. himself Phil Knight. It's an absolutely fascinating read.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shoe-Dog-M...Creator+of+NIKE&qid=1605881289&s=books&sr=1-1

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here