Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
"It goes without saying that you should stretch after every run."

I've never stretched after a run. Nor before. Nor foam-rolled. Nor strength-trained.

It is something I've been thinking about doing though, and I think that counts.

Nor me. I've had no problems through not doing so, either, which is probably why I've never done it (if that makes sense) :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've have a few pounds left for a small final gift for Jnr's upcoming birthday.

He is running more now footabll training has been taken away, so I thought about a mobile phone armband (Samsung).

Amazon has about a bazillion to choose from so any help, with minimal effort on a tight budget, would be appreciated.

Ta muchly.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I'm certainly feeling it at the moment.

If you saw me getting up from the sofa when I've been sitting for some time, you'd think I was incapable of walking, let alone running!

Was nodding in agreement of the never stretch before or after ... ever.

Unfortunately nodded to the getting up from sofa gingerly line.

Worst one for me is the walk from bed to bathroom in the mornings. Walking like a lame dog . Then this is Followed by getting down the stairs using the bannister to take my weight. Strange though as can be ready to run after pottering about in the kitchen for 10 mins ......... so I guess that moving about a bit is a warm up

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

He is running more now footabll training has been taken away, so I thought about a mobile phone armband (Samsung).

Amazon has about a bazillion to choose from so any help, with minimal effort on a tight budget, would be appreciated.

Ta muchly.

If you're after a cheap one, just get a cheap one or – as I did a few times – a pack of three because, having been through quite a few armbands back in the day, I found that the velcro loses its 'stickiness' pretty quickly, meaning you have to buy a new one and then another, etc, etc.

(I hate it when people do what I'm about to do, so feel free to ignore it if you want)

Instead, I would suggest buying shorts with a zipped pocket for the phone instead. I made the switch from armband to those shorts a while back and, despite what people say, you don't really feel it's there.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Ta muchly.

I'd get a SPIbelt rather than an armband (I don't very often carry a phone but def more comfortable). This kind of thing. Pocket is elasticated so contracts around whatever is in it - no bounce, rattle etc and around the waist he won't notice it.

https://amzn.to/3nl735D

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I’m sure the waist belts are fine if:
1) you don’t buy a medium when you need a large because it cuts into the waist (or you have to wear it uncomfortably high!)
2) you don’t already have a spare tyre (it just adds to it)
3) you don’t want to record steps on your phone (it makes it less accurate)

You won’t be surprised that I’ve reverted to the arm band

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’m sure the waist belts are fine if:
1) you don’t buy a medium when you need a large because it cuts into the waist (or you have to wear it uncomfortably high!)
2) you don’t already have a spare tyre (it just adds to it)
3) you don’t want to record steps on your phone (it makes it less accurate)

You won’t be surprised that I’ve reverted to the arm band

LOL :lol::lol:

1. Go a bit lower rather than higher
2. I do, hence 1
3. Steps ? Who cares :D

D

Deleted member 2719

Interesting on brother . Never heard of that before . Was he running long runs ?

my first run after 3 weeks out I did the first Mile at 8 minutes then the old mindset kicked in and busted the next 2 milesto make up the “lost” time . It wasn’t pleasant but Luckily injury was fine.

Good luck with injury and good luck with running slower haha

I think the longest runs he did were half marathons, but mainly he did 5 and 10k the odd 3k.

I know what you mean about slow starts, you feel you have to max out at the end to get great value!

I am the same with most things in line, the red life is just a guide and you risk going into it to get the required results.

We need governing, maybe an electric shock when heart rate exceeds 90% via our watches.:lolol:

Cecil

Feb 8, 2008
Heathfield
Well thank goodness for that because it took me 44 minutes to do 4 miles yesterday :lolol:

However, when I first started running I didn't get up to a 45 ish mins on the feet for two months so there's definitely some muscle memory there. My plan is to carry on at a very sedate pace but add at least a mile to my longest run each Sunday so should be back to 10k ish in a couple of weeks, fingers crossed.

Myself and [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION] are getting back into our running. The marathons and Half's seem a long way off but hopefully get up to 10k's before to long !

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Hi all

Quick heads up - Runderwear offering up to 50% off at the mo for Black Friday.

Also if you use Quidco seems to offer a further 18% cash back.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Record mileage week again for me last week with 75 miles, including a HM in that biblical weather yesterday afternoon when I was nursing a hangover.

My legs felt bizarrely fresh this morning so I thought I'd run another HM but put some effort in this time, and managed to lower my PB (or whatever you want to call it) from 1:40:01 to 1:34:48.

D

Deleted member 2719

What do you guys do when a member of the public stops you while in the middle of your run?

I was running a preset 6k this morning and started slow just as recommended by coach dazzer.

I was approaching 2.5k running down a country lane, very narrow with passing places. I heard a lorry behind me so I ran as close to the ditch as I could to let him pass. He didn't come past, so I kept running and waved him pass, no, he still didn't come past. I thought he was very patient. He ended up following me for 500k at mouldy pace.
I got to a car passing point and waved him through again. He then started giving me the air horns and waving at me and eventually stopping me.

He just wanted directions!!

What do you do when a stranger tries to stop you?

Or even a friend/acquaintance tries to interrupt your bit of me-time?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Hi all

Quick heads up - Runderwear offering up to 50% off at the mo for Black Friday.

Also if you use Quidco seems to offer a further 18% cash back.

Got myself a base later and some socks on the back of this, cheers. The quidco cashback brings it down to a really good price.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Does anyone know of any trail running clubs near Haywards Heath? I’m not a beginner but not that fast either (avg 8.30 to 8.45 over 6-8 miles)

Burgess Hill Runners do a fair amount of off-road stuff, and away from the formal club sessions there are plenty of informal groups of members that meet up. Your pace is easily (at worst) ‘mid pack’ for BHR so I wouldn’t worry about that - no-one ever gets left behind anyway (most runs simply have regular turn back points so the faster runners just do a bit more).

You can try the club out for a few sessions before joining - details on their website

http://www.bhrunners.co.uk

Also worth joining the ‘mid sussex running community’ page on facebook which has 500+ members. A few local groups are active on there, and you could always post asking for suggestions.

Always happy to meet up for a trot if you want......let me know (similar pace)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What do you guys do when a member of the public stops you while in the middle of your run?

I was running a preset 6k this morning and started slow just as recommended by coach dazzer.

I was approaching 2.5k running down a country lane, very narrow with passing places. I heard a lorry behind me so I ran as close to the ditch as I could to let him pass. He didn't come past, so I kept running and waved him pass, no, he still didn't come past. I thought he was very patient. He ended up following me for 500k at mouldy pace.
I got to a car passing point and waved him through again. He then started giving me the air horns and waving at me and eventually stopping me.

He just wanted directions!!

What do you do when a stranger tries to stop you?

Or even a friend/acquaintance tries to interrupt your bit of me-time?

Coach [emoji23][emoji23]

I’d just stop and help....it’s only a training run. Stop your watch if it’s something timed [emoji106][emoji16]

Pre ‘map apps’ and satnavs this used to happen all the time around here. Sunday mornings with people carrying several young lads in their cars looking for obscure football pitches was a particularly regular occurrence.........

D

Deleted member 2719

Coach [emoji23][emoji23]

I’d just stop and help....it’s only a training run. Stop your watch if it’s something timed [emoji106][emoji16]

Pre ‘map apps’ and satnavs this used to happen all the time around here. Sunday mornings with people carrying several young lads in their cars looking for obscure football pitches was a particularly regular occurrence.........

Okay coach, fortunately I did well, as that Is what I did!

It wass a foreign HGV driver 5 miles away from the destination by road 1/2 mile as the crow flies! Trying to explain that to him took a full 2 minutes, in which time I was as fresh as a daisy.

Coach Daz, would this have affected my progression towards my goal of a 5k PB before the end of the year?
I am a minute off it if I run at 60% redlining it at the moment. I am trying not to bust my balls every run as suggested.
How often do you believe you should put an interval/break in a run?

D

Deleted member 2719

Coach [emoji23][emoji23]

It wass a foreign HGV driver 5 miles away from the destination by road 1/2 mile as the crow flies! Trying to explain that to him took a full 2 minutes, in which time I was as fresh as a daisy.

Coach Daz, would this have affected my progression towards my goal of a 5k PB before the end of the year?
I am a minute off it if I run at 60% redlining it at the moment. I am trying not to bust my balls every run as suggested.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Any effect would be so small as to be irrelevant...........

As to how often, depends entirely on the session, purpose of it, how hard you want it to be, what systems you are trying to work etc. As a starting point for intervals (but by no means the only answer), a decent rule of thumb is keep the recoveries the same length of time as the efforts - ie if you're doing 1km repeats at say 5k pace, jog/walk 4 mins or so between each one. Aim to do all the hard intervals at the same pace.............

Easy runs would normally be at a consistent, slow pace - sometimes throw in a few 'pickups' (short bursts of up to 30s perhaps) to get the legs loosened with over-taxing other systems. On an easy run, though, if you fancy a short walk break then have one - there aren't any rules :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here