Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Blimey - it's as if the thread suddenly re-awakened. Good to see so much activity. Shame there's no upcoming events.
I ran a garden marathon during Lockdown I - more than happy to pass on the baton to another NSCer for the second installment... [emoji23][emoji23]

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I ran a garden marathon during Lockdown I - more than happy to pass on the baton to another NSCer for the second installment... [emoji23][emoji23]

Excellent - how big is your garden and would you recommend road or trail shoes ? What is your aid station going to provide ? What’s the post-race meal ? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Thanks everyone :)

Still feeling good so off out after work tonight again.

Good to hear you're back out.
Hope to see you on the prom before too long........I need to see you soon before you get rid off the football you must now be hiding under your running top.:lol:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Excellent - how big is your garden and would you recommend road or trail shoes ? What is your aid station going to provide ? What’s the post-race meal ? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Just under 0.1 miles.

It's trail with a big long stretch of tarmac/paving, so probably trail, given it's a bit slippy underfood.

Last time the aid station was pretty impressive, but I didn't touch much of it apart from a few jaffa cakes.

Post-race meal was a Chinese, if I remember correctly :lolol:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
6 miles in 53" on the seafront today and all the slopey bits taken on. Lovely weather but ready to drop near the finish.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Now into lockdown I want to try and do some tough hill based intervals. I think I have the perfect spot which is up Varndean Gardens near Withdean.

It’s about 400 metres with 105ft climb and an 8% gradient.

My guess is it will be 2 minutes to the top and roughly the same to jog back.

Does anyone have any personal favourites or recommendations for other hills?

Anything grass based? I’d prefer to run downhill on softer ground ideally.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Now into lockdown I want to try and do some tough hill based intervals. I think I have the perfect spot which is up Varndean Gardens near Withdean.

A few pals have told me that the hill up to the church at Hangleton (near Greenleas, by the shops) is perfect for this.

I've jogged round there but bottled sprints on it, which is a sure sign that they're right.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I typically use the Tank Tracks for hill repeats. 1km long with 180m approx of elevation full length but often do shorter intervals. Not great underfoot though.

There are some great grassy slopes on the Downs that would work - 2 or 3 just east of the Dyke Road on the SDW for example.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

I like Warren Road when a strong South Westerly. Marina to Race Course. Grass verges for the run back down.

Living where you do I’d do the path next to the Chattri Memorial. A lovely soft grassy area.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I like Warren Road when a strong South Westerly. Marina to Race Course. Grass verges for the run back down.

Living where you do I’d do the path next to the Chattri Memorial. A lovely soft grassy area.

Good shout that for a long, sustained climb that's not too steep and nice underfoot. Could also mix it up with a short, sharp tarmac incline - just past the entrance to the traveller's site going back up the road eastbound. Good way to do interval sessions for a bit of variety over simple repeats is something like a '2 short/1 long' approach - this would be perfect for that

Anchorman

Oct 19, 2007

Just along from there is Withdean Park which would be grass based. If you go up from the main road to the bottom entrance to the dog walking area, go left right to the far edge until you get to the trees, there is an uphill section there, not quite as long as Varndean Gardens but you could always run up it faster!😀

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just taken my 10km PB down from 43:24 to 41:32 doing a virtual 10km thing with some Instagram running buddies.

Delighted with that as I'd already done 4-and-a-bit miles of hills and mud with the dog this morning, and this is a record mileage week for me - just short of 60 miles with one day to go.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just taken my 10km PB down from 43:24 to 41:32 doing a virtual 10km thing with some Instagram running buddies.

Delighted with that as I'd already done 4-and-a-bit miles of hills and mud with the dog this morning, and this is a record mileage week for me - just short of 60 miles with one day to go.

You’re going to have to do some pukka races when we’re allowed and get some actual PBs logged........

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Yeah but we need to know he can do it on a wet Saturday morning in Hove Park etc [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

He might not be able to take the pressure being surrounded by elite athletes, top notch officials, a decent surface and the latest time keeping technology. And there’s the prize money.

Am I remembering it right?. It’s been a while

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here